Post Date: 07/29/2019
Close Date: 08/26/2019
University Mission: Concordia University is a Christian university preparing leaders for the transformation of society.
Department Mission: The mission of all Athletic Department administrative and support staff personnel is to serve student-athletes and coaches and assist them in the development of quality athletic programs that enhance the development of leadership and character. The culture which is associated with those programs should be one of trust and integrity that promotes the dignity of work and encourages growth and learning, while emphasizing rules compliance and institutional control.
Position Title: Director of Athletic Communications
Reports To: Associate Athletic Director of Compliance and Academic Support/Senior Woman Administrator
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Number: ATH022
Salary Grade: Grade 4: Hiring range $45,000 – 51,000/year
Primary Work Location: Portland OR, main campus onsite
Work Schedule: Schedule varies based on event schedules; must be available to work evenings and weekends.
Employee Classification: 03 – Staff, full-time, exempt
EEO Classification: 13-1121
Last Updated: July 2019
The Director of Athletic Communications must possess knowledge and experience to handle all aspects of athletic communications and sports information, including but not limited to: maintenance of athletic web site; production of Athletic Department publications; hiring and supervision of interns, student assistants, statisticians; writing press releases and development materials; managing of press box/game table, statistics and reporting of results; managing the annual Student-Athlete and hall-of-fame awards; and serving as primary Athletic Department liaison with the media.
At all times, the Director will serve as a positive role model who embraces and exemplifies the mission of the University and goals of the Athletics Department with a high level of integrity as well as support and advocate for the NCAA DII initiative of Community Engagement and the philosophy of ‘Life in the Balance’, including its six key attributes: Learning, Service, Passion, Sportsmanship, Resourcefulness and Balance.
Concordia University is a private, Christian university. Concordia University reserves the right to give preference in employment based on religion in order to further the Lutheran objectives of the University and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Serve as the primary Athletic Department liaison with internal and external information requests about Student-Athletes, coaches or athletic programs at Concordia University (i.e., send schedules, rosters, quick facts, and season outlooks to appropriate opponents and media outlets as well as respond to media inquiries related to Student-Athletes or athletic programs).
2. Promote the athletics contests and report results of the sports programs through posting regular web page news stories, weekly updates/advances, brochures and other means.
3. Maintain Student-Athlete profiles and promote Student-Athletes’ accomplishments, awards and human interest stories through regular web postings, press releases, and articles.
4. Oversee the production of home game webcasts as well as the development of strategic plan to increase webcast viewership.
5. Prepare and execute strategic plan to increase engagement across all CU athletic social media accounts.
6. Hire and supervise interns, student assistants, game day statisticians, and broadcast crew.
7. Coordinate development and distribution of departmental promotional materials (e.g., schedule cards, brochures, fliers, etc.).
8. Prepare and distribute game-day programs featuring CU teams, current news/standings, and opponent rosters.
9. Contact and nurture relationships with the GNAC and NCAA sports information personnel and campus, local, regional, and national media.
10. Compile and maintain historical records of all varsity sports.
11. Assist Associate Athletic Director for Compliance and Academic Support/SWA with the management of annual Student-Athlete Awards Show.
12. Assist the Vice President/Director of Athletics with the execution of the biannual Hall of Fame Induction Dinner and Ceremony.
13. Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by Athletic Department senior support team.
Internal – coaches, department staff, student-athletes, marketing, and university communications staff.
External – fans, visiting teams, officials, vendors, media
Scope of Work
Work includes complex projects with minimal to moderate guidance. Contact and impact of work is both internal and external to the university. Serves as an internal and external liaison for the Athletic department. Assists with keeping leaders informed of results, outcomes and impediments.
Office and athletic/sport environment, moderate exposure to noise.
Minimum Physical Requirements
• Able to tolerate repetitive motions and prolonged sitting at keyboard.
• Must be able to climb and descend stairs in a safe manner.
• Able to drive during varying weather and light conditions.
• Able to bend, reach, twist and stoop on an occasional basis.
• Able to lift up to 50 lbs on an occasional basis.
• Ability to assist with facility maintenance/cleanup on a daily basis.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree
• 2-5 years of media relations or collegiate athletic administration or sports information experience
Minimum Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
• Ability to communicate with an accurate, positive, credible and professional manner; verbally, in person, on the phone, in writing and as a public speaker
• Ability to motivate, organize and lead multiple groups of student workers to reach department goals.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage/prioritize multiple or competing responsibilities on a regular basis.
• Ability to cultivate and maintain strong relationships with external vendors and media outlets.
• Able to mentor and motivate coaches and student-athletes for excellence as opportunities arise.
• Adept using all Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word, Outlook and Powerpoint. Able to effective use administrative software, network drive and web mail.
• Able to use graphic design software including Adobe Creative Suite.
• Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license throughout employment.
• Ability to effectively collaborate and problem solve with other professionals in the Department of Athletics and other University Departments.
Post offer, Pre-Employment Screening Requirements
Successfully pass a criminal background check
Attitude and demeanor of all Concordia University employees: As part of a work environment that highly values Christian education, educational excellence and service to students, all members of the community will:
• Publicly support the mission of Concordia University.
• Communicate effectively with warmth, sensitivity, and understanding as s/he deals with administrative colleagues, teachers, students, parents, faculty, college personnel and program associates.
• Work as a team member in a professional environment.
• Possess a “service attitude” (willingness to be flexible to meet the needs of the department).
• Have a professional physical appearance (appropriate clothing, personal hygiene, etc.).
Complete details: http://bit.ly/Dir_Ath_Com