Post Date: 08/01/2019
Close Date: 08/15/2019
Close date: 8/15/2019
Salary: $4629 - $6775 monthly
Location: Portland, OR
The Oregon Health Authority (OHA), Public Health Division (PHD), Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention (HPCDP) Section in Portland, OR is recruiting for a Tobacco Policy Specialist to determine statewide policies, procedures and priorities consistent with the mission and policies of the Oregon Health Authority, Public Health Division; the federal centers for Disease Control and Prevention; and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. HPCDP’s vision, mission and framework focus on best practices for promoting and supporting optimal health for all Oregonians. Our strategic plan outlines how we tackle chronic disease prevention with a comprehensive, community-wide approach to help people eat better, move more, live tobacco free, and take care of themselves. This means achieving better health, better care, and lower health care costs for all Oregonians.
What will you do?
As the Tobacco Policy Specialist, you will recommend legislative concepts and policy solutions to address tobacco control, substance use disorder, chronic disease prevention and related chronic disease risk factors such as tobacco use and exposure, physical inactivity, and poor nutrition. This position provides strategic coordination and assistance to strategic partners and county health departments to promote, adopt and enforce state policies; and develop, implement and enforce local policies to address tobacco use, substance use disorder, chronic disease prevention and obesity prevention.
What's in it for you?
You will work with a team of public health professionals who are passionate about the work they do to promote healthy communities and prevent disease for the people of Oregon. Do you have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in public health? Do you have experience working with partners and public health programs on policy to promote good health and prevent disease? If so, we want to connect with you!
What are we looking for?
• A bachelor's degree in public health or a degree related to the agency program that demonstrates the capacity for the knowledge and skills; and four years of experience coordinating a program related to public health OR any combination of experience or education equivalent to seven years of experience coordinating a program related to public health. (Note: The specific job-related experience or education requirements will be listed by the recruiting agency based on the position under recruitment.)
• Experience developing and implementing tobacco control policies and systems change initiatives.
• Experience providing strategic coordination and assistance to local public health authorities and other grantees to develop, implement and enforce local policies which promote tobacco control, obesity prevention, youth marijuana use prevention, alcohol misuse and other drugs prevention, and chronic disease prevention.
• Experience coordinating statewide interagency, multi-disciplinary task forces and work groups on public health initiatives related to tobacco, alcohol and other drugs, obesity, , and chronic disease prevention for the purposes of policy, rule, or special report development.
• Experience evaluating and recommending program priorities and strategies to achieve state program goals or to meet funding requirements.
• Experience communicating with high-level officials, legislators, agency staff, the media and other professional representatives
• Experience in project management
• Experience developing promotional and communication plans
• Experience overseeing budgets, grants and contracts
• Experience promoting a culturally competent and diverse work environment
• Principles and practices of policy, environmental and systems change.
• Population-based public health assessment, policy development, intervention and evaluation.
• Principles and practices of tobacco prevention and control best practices.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, follow the link below and complete the online application and all supplemental questions: