Post Date: 05/15/2020
Close Date: 06/08/2020
Professional Engineer 2 – Senior Standards Engineer
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery and Operations Division – Engineering and Technical Services Branch
Traffic-Roadway Section/Roadway Engineering Unit
ODOT is following the direction of the Governor's Office to help slow and prevent the spread of COVID-19. We are recruiting for agency critical positions at this time using virtual tools and processes such as video and phone interviewing to support social or physical distancing. We are also continuing to evaluate the situation and may extend or place recruitments on hold as appropriate. Current applicants for affected positions will be notified.
As our senior standards engineer, you will be our statewide technical expert in roadway engineering with a focus on the areas of the Highway Design Manual and the Oregon Standard Drawings. In this role, you will assist designers in our technical centers and the engineering consultant community. Apply today!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
A day in the life:
- Provide engineering guidance on design standards and serve as a technical standard drawings expert.
- Discuss proposed changes and coordinate revisions to the Highway Design Manual.
- Lead a team of expert department engineers and designers to oversee revisions to the Highway Design Manual.
- Seek suggested changes and comments for the Highway Design Manual from internal and external stakeholders.
- Advise management on complex issues involving roadway design and operations.
- Originate, maintain, revise, approve and interpret the Oregon Standard Drawings.
- Provide training assistance at workshops and meetings.
- Represent the agency with vendors to determine acceptability of construction materials and/or processes for use on ODOT projects.
- Investigate and establish design criteria and provide solutions to special design problems.
- Serve as statewide chair of computer aided design standards committee.
- Serve as technical expert for drafting standards within the roadway discipline.
- Represent the agency on professional committees AASHTO subcommittees and other national groups.
- Work is performed in a typical design cubicle with occasional field work throughout the state required.
- Occasional out-of-state travel required.
What we need:
A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering and three (3) years of journey level professional engineer experience.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in the state of Oregon within six months of hire.
Additionally, driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position.
What we’d like to see:
- Highly developed professional engineering knowledge and extensive experience in roadway design.
- Experience developing design guidance and policies.
- Experience leading and mentoring junior engineering staff.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Learn more and apply!
- This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on June 8, 2020.
- Visit www.odotjobs.com and search for REQ-33922 to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
- For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer