Post Date: 01/27/2020
Close Date: 02/28/2020
POSITION: Audit Intern
SALARY: $14.52 - $25.06 Hourly
CLOSING DATE: 02/28/20 05:00 PM
APPLY ONLINE: https://portofportland.com/Careers
Are you currently attending school and pursuing a career in the area of Audit? Would you like an opportunity to develop skills and learn on the job by participating in internal audits? The Port's Audit Internship will allow you to assist with various financial and contract audits and participate with general auditing functions that help support our Internal Audit staff.
To be considered for this intern position you must be a current student enrolled in a Portland-area school for the duration of employment (12 months). Spring 2020 graduates will not be eligible for this internship unless documentation of continued educational classes (graduate school related to the legal field) can be provided at the time of application.
This internship is located at the Port Headquarter building at the Portland International Airport.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist with financial and contract audits
• Learn how to determine the direction of the proposed audit and plan the theory and scope of the audit
• Evaluate overall system effectiveness and prepare the audit program and determine the audit procedures to be used
• Learn how to obtain, analyze and appraise evidentiary data
• Assist in preparing reports, making recommendations and appraising the adequacy of management's corrective action
• Assist in making oral and written presentations to management during and at the completion of an audit.
• Learn to perform the continuous audit of the PDX parking operations/revenues
• Assist in various audit projects, which may include assisting the Port's external auditors in the annual audit of the Port's financial statements
• To qualify for this opportunity, a student must be currently pursuing a degree in Accounting
• Must have completed the Intermediate Accounting series (or in the process of completing the last Intermediate Accounting series course)
• Late Junior status or above is preferred
• Organized and able to meet the demands of a professional work environment
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft computer applications, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook
• Have an understanding of accounting principles (GAAP) and possess an understanding of business practices
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Demonstrated skills:
• Express ideas clearly in written and oral communication
• Work effectively with all levels of staff
• Show the utmost respect for others and is a proven team player
• Advanced interpersonal communication skills
• Skilled at maintaining confidentiality of information
• Practiced at using good judgment
• Learn how to perform contract and financial audits
• Learn how to write audit reports that are logically organized, free of syntax errors and contain proper grammar, punctuation and spelling
• Discuss audit report and findings with various levels of management and external clients
• Learn how to read and understand contracts
• Understand accounting transactions and reports
• Read and understand how to apply Port policies and procedures
• Learn how to document well in automated work paper files
• Balance priorities involving workload and multiple clients
• Work with diverse employee groups
• Learn how to research laws, regulations, and policies
• Learn how to develop audit objectives and testing procedures
• Learn automated auditing software
• Demonstrate the Port's commitment to valuing differences among individuals and passion for being inclusive
Diversity and Inclusion: At the Port, we don't just accept difference; we value and support it to create a culture of inclusiveness and fun. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EEO/Affirmative Action Policy Statement: The Port of Portland is dedicated to maintaining and improving a work environment, which extends equal opportunity to all individuals, regardless of their race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation. Employment decisions shall be made in such a manner as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity and to comply with state, federal and local laws. We affirm through this policy statement our continuing commitment to the principles of nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
Veterans Preference: Under Oregon law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans preference when applying for Port of Portland positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans preference for this job, please provide the qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
Background Checks and Drug Testing: The Port of Portland will conduct background checks and/or drug tests for positions where such tests are required by regulation and for other highly sensitive positions.
ADA Accommodation: Accommodations will be considered for applicants or candidates with a qualifying disability that prevents them from participating in this process. Accommodations will be made where the Port can reasonably do so without imposing an undue hardship on the business or compromising the integrity of the recruitment process. An applicant with any disability who believes that he or she needs an accommodation should contact Human Resources at 503.415.6690
APPLY ONLINE: https://portofportland.com/Careers
Complete details: https://portofportland.com/Careers