Post Date: 07/10/2019
Close Date: 07/25/2019
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality currently has a full-time opportunity for an Administrative Specialist (Administrative Specialist 2) in Portland, Oregon.
The Land Quality programs support this mission by reducing the environmental and health impacts of materials during their production and use; reducing, recovering and safely managing the disposal of solid and hazardous wastes; administering the state’s underground storage tank and heating oil tank programs; responding to spills of oil and hazardous materials; and assessing and managing environmental cleanups.
The Materials Management section plans and carries out projects and programs to reduce impacts of materials and products throughout their full life cycle, from design and production through distribution, consumption and use and management as discards. The section establishes goals and measures; supports and performs research; develops and implements incentive, product stewardship, waste reduction, and waste management programs; provides education and information; and collaborates with diverse public and private partners.
What you will do!
You will coordinate solid waste facility reporting and fee payment; assist in completing the annual material recovery survey and report; conduct research and analysis and draft reports for materials management planning and program development; assists in administering E-Cycles manufacturer registration and fee collection processes and assuring manufacturers and retailers comply with E-Cycles program requirements.
– Coordinates solid waste disposal facility reporting and fee payment.
– Explains and answers questions concerning disposal facility permit and compliance reporting and fee payment for permittees, the public and program staff.
– Ensures reporting and invoicing forms are current and accurate.
– Monitors facility reporting and fee payment to ensure they are timely and accurate and follows up to gain compliance.
– Coordinates user input and maintains accurate Solid Waste Facilities Information Tracking database for disposal facilities.
– Assists in completing DEQ’s annual Material Recovery Survey.
– Prepares material recovery survey forms for mailing to recycling collectors and processors.
– Evaluates submitted forms for completeness and accuracy and follows up to obtain needed information.
– Analyses information on material flows reported between collectors and processors and identifies and resolves discrepancies.
– Enters data into program database.
– Conducts research, compiles and analyses data and other information and prepares reports to support studies, performance measurement, rulemaking, policy and guidance development and other projects for the materials management program.
– Prepares policy, rulemaking, public notices and other documents, reports and presentations for the program.
– Assists in ensuring electronics manufacturers and retailers comply with Oregon E-Cycles requirements.
– Explains and answers questions concerning manufacturer and retailer requirements for the public and program staff.
– Monitors annual manufacturer registration to ensure information is current and accurate and follows up with manufacturers to gain compliance.
– Monitors and assures registration and recycling fee payments are timely and accurate and follows up with manufacturers to gain compliance.
– Helps develop compliance oversight strategies for manufacturers and retailers, monitors and reports compliance and follows up to gain compliance.
– Provides administrative and technical support for internal and external workgroups, including coordinating meeting logistics, managing webinars, sending meeting notices and preparing meeting notes.
What’s in it for you!
The opportunity to join a dynamic team of mission-focused individuals tasked with maintaining, restoring, and enhancing the quality of Oregon’s air, water, and land. We offer medical, dental, and vision health benefits with paid sick leave, vacation, personal leave, and 10 paid holidays a year. Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program: If you are employed by a government or not-for-profit organization, you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). Learn more to see whether you qualify at PSLF Program. If you are passionate about Oregon's environment, apply today!
This is a permanent, full-time, non-exempt, AFSCME represented position.
This recruitment may be used to fill limited duration and/or permanent future vacancies.
What are we looking for?
– Experience using database (data entry, queries and reporting)
– High level of proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
– Experience researching, analyzing and interpreting data and other information
– Experience preparing memos and reports at a professional level
– Experience interpreting and applying rules to determine compliance
– Experience evaluating information and reports for completeness and accuracy
– Ability to clearly communicate detailed information to diverse audiences
– Experience providing excellent customer service in person and on phone
– Experience providing general administrative support (scheduling, organizing meetings, taking notes, managing records)
– Proficiency with proofreading for clarity, grammar, spelling and punctuation
– Experience managing multiple assignments with conflicting deadlines and demonstrated ability to track work in progress
– Required Minimum Qualifications:
– Two (2) years of experience as an administrative specialist or executive support specialist which included administrative support for a project, program, or operation. Administrative support includes those duties beyond clerical/secretarial such as: interpretation of laws, rules, and regulations; administrative data collection and analysis; and evaluation of projects, processes, and operations; OR
– An equivalent combination of training and experience.
– EDUCATION NOTE: One (1) year of postsecondary education may be substituted for up to one year of the experience.
How to Apply:
– To apply for this position, please follow the “Apply” link above and complete the online application and all supplemental questions.
– Be sure to attach your resume and cover letter at the beginning of your application process.
– Complete questionnaire.
– After you submit your application, be sure to respond to the Public Records Request authorization. This step comes after you have submitted your application. Military Veterans: This is where you will complete your request for veterans' preference points.
– ***IMPORTANT*** Please be sure to attach a resume and cover letter.
DEQ provides veterans’ preference points to all eligible veterans. For more information, please go here: https://www.oregon.gov/jobs/Pages/Veterans.aspx.
If you have questions about the recruitment or need assistance to participate in the application process, please contact Mike Garcellano, Human Resources Analyst, at email@example.com or (503) 229-5021.
DEQ strives to create inclusive environments that welcome and value the diversity of the people we serve. DEQ fosters fairness, equity, and inclusion to create workplace environments where everyone is treated with respect and dignity regardless of race, color, religion, sex, disability, physical stature, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, political affiliation, and any other factor applicable by state or federal law.