Post Date: 07/06/2019
Close Date: 07/22/2019
Position Title: Communications Coordinator
Reports To: Donor and External Relations Manager
Status: Non-exempt - Hourly
Schedule: 30 hours per week (6 hours per week telecommuting optional after trial period, with supervisor approval. Occasional evenings or weekends required.)
Salary Range: $20-23 per hour, depending on experience
Benefits: Raphael House offers a full range of benefits including generous time off, medical and dental insurance, Simple IRA match, and professional development opportunities.
Application Deadline: Open until Monday, July 22, 2019 at 9am
About Raphael House:
For more than 40 years Raphael House of Portland has helped domestic violence survivors and their families find safety, hope, and independence. Our emergency shelter serves individuals and families fleeing intimate partner violence, and we proudly provide family-centered, culturally responsive, and gender-inclusive services. In addition to immediate safety and basic needs, survivors have access to ongoing programs and case management designed to help them achieve permanent housing, employment, and stability. We also work to break the cycle of violence via prevention education and have been providing training in local schools and throughout the community for more than a decade. Approximately 45% of Raphael House’s $2.7M budget comes from the generous contributions of individuals, foundations, and corporate partners.
Under the supervision of the Donor and External Relations Manager, the Communications Coordinator helps to develop and distribute compelling external communications that intimately connect our supporters, partners, and the community with Raphael House’s mission and work. This new position will collaborate closely with the development team and other departments to produce campaigns, materials, and messaging that convey the story of our organization. This position supports our fundraising, community engagement, and advocacy goals. As the Raphael House message honors hope, resiliency, and empowerment, the Communications Coordinator will help ensure that all communications reflect our core values, and respect the autonomy and confidentiality of survivors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Upholding agency values in messaging: Helps ensure that all communications reflect and uphold our core values, and respect the autonomy, empowerment, and confidentiality of survivors. Utilizes equity lens when developing and to assess all agency messaging, materials, etc.
• Brand consistency: Supports with consistent, exemplary, and accurate representation of Raphael House in all external agency communications. This includes developing, formatting, and editing materials, reports, presentations, spreadsheets, and other related documents from across the agency, as needed.
• Fundraising and strategic communications: Works collaboratively with the development team and other departments to develop campaigns, materials, and messaging that support and achieve Raphael House’s fundraising, community engagement, and advocacy goals.
Essential duties and tasks:
• Writing and content development: Helps to develop and nurture multi-channel communications to supporters. Writes creative and compelling content for fundraising materials including direct mail appeals, website, digital communications, newsletters, annual reports, event collateral and scripts, media releases, educational materials, etc.
• Digital communications: Develops written and visual content for social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and eBlasts. Manages editorial calendar and writes, collects, and creates content, including timely responses to relevant issues. Engages existing and new followers. Tracks performance and reports on analytics.
• Website: Oversees maintenance of the Raphael House website, ensuring content is current, consistent, and fresh – with special consideration for the relevance and accessibility of content to various audiences (e.g. survivors, donors, and community members). Tracks and reports on analytics, and monitors software updates, certificates, and security to ensure excellent ongoing performance.
• Storytelling: Solicits and edits stories from staff, board, volunteers, participants, stakeholders, donors, and community partners.
• Communications plan: Supports the development and implementation of a comprehensive agency-wide communications plan to raise public awareness, maximize visibility, and increase fundraising.
• Vendor management: Works with graphic designers and print vendors to produce exceptional, brand-aligned, and impactful creative content. Secures quotes for projects, monitors progress, solicits and compiles edits from appropriate stakeholders, and ensures deadlines are met.
• Content management: Gathers, creates, and oversees content, photos, video, stories, and other assets for communications purposes.
• Budget: Monitors communications, print, graphic design, and web maintenance budget.
• Media: Supports with cultivating media relationships. Drafts and submits media releases.
• Best practices: Stays informed of communications (social media, website, fundraising appeals, etc.) best practices, trends, and emerging platforms.
• Funder acknowledgement: Ensures accuracy of donor credits and logos in development and communications materials, and secures funder approval.
• Participates in weekly Development meetings and monthly All Staff meetings.
• Supports the development team with special events and projects, as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
• At least 3 years of communications and marketing work experience with proven record of success, preferably at a non-profit organization.
• Exemplary writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
• Experience with fundraising and development strategies, and with developing both digital and direct mail campaigns for fundraising initiatives, events, and donor acquisition efforts.
• Passion for Raphael House of Portland’s mission and values. A commitment to social change, equity, inclusion, and building a future free from violence and oppression.
• Ability to relate effectively and respectfully with people from diverse backgrounds and to imbed equitable, inclusive, and trauma-informed practices in all aspects of one’s role.
• Comfortable with a collaborative writing and editing process.
• Outstanding organizational skills, ability to maintain attention to detail while managing multiple projects simultaneously.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, positive attitude, and ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
• Fluency with Microsoft business applications, Wordpress, e-mail marketing programs, social media applications, and the Adobe Creative Suite.
• Experience editing, posting, and managing website content.
• Degree in communications, marketing, or related area of study preferred but not required.
• Graphic design skills preferred.
• Completion of 40-hour domestic and sexual violence advocacy training OR expectation that training will be completed within first six months of employment (provided internally).
• Understanding of or commitment to learning about gendered violence and oppression, their intersectionality and history, and impact on individuals, society, and culture.
• Understanding of or commitment to learning about domestic and sexual violence, including root causes and impacts of trauma.
This position will work in a traditional, but fast-paced setting. Must be able to sit for long periods of time, and work under deadlines and stress-inducing conditions. A domestic violence agency environment can potentially shift from stable to highly charged and all employees must remain flexible, calm, and creative particularly when faced with a crisis.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, completed Raphael House employment application form (found on our website at the link below), and a maximum of two writing sample attachments OR page with links to your written work to Amanda Ives at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 4110 SE Hawthorne Blvd. #503 Portland, OR 97214. This position is open until Monday, July 22, 2019 at 9am. No phone calls, please.
Download our employment application form at https://raphaelhouse.com/employment-opportunities/.
Raphael House of Portland is an Equal Opportunity Employer