Post Date: 11/20/2019
Close Date: 01/31/2020
Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, a leading Pacific Northwest law firm, is seeking a results-driven Business Manager to work with our CEO and C-suite.
We are looking for someone with a strong work ethic and initiative who is eager to work with us in supporting the firm’s strategic initiatives and day to day firm operations. As leadership’s “right-hand person,” this high-level role requires a skilled individual who possesses strong emotional intelligence, is self-motivated, and has strong financial and analytical skills. The successful candidate will be able to anticipate unmet needs, have difficult conversations, and handle multiple initiatives and constant deadlines. They will have the ability to prioritize projects based on assessing urgency and importance. The Business Manager is key to implementing both change initiatives and operational plans that support the Firm, CEO, and Chiefs’ operational and strategic goals. The ideal candidate works independently and functions well in a collaborative team environment.
This position is based in our Portland, OR office and will report to the CEO.
This role has responsibilities in five key areas:
1. Support the firm’s strategic and business planning processes and execution;
2. Organize, track and facilitate communication and share information among leadership;
3. Work on cross-disciplinary projects with the firm’s operational leaders; CEO, Chiefs and Leadership Cabinet (Board, Industry Group Leaders, Department Heads);
4. Support the CEO in the role as Board Chair, as requested by the CEO and Chiefs; and
5. Develop project and communication plans and scorecards to evaluate progress and measure the effectiveness of initiatives.
This position must:
1. Work with leadership to align their meetings, actions, and communications in support of agreed-upon goals and priorities.
2. Use expert communication skills, including experience producing effective written and verbal communications for executives.
3. Work collaboratively across departments, offices, and industries to help achieve strategic plan goals.
4. Demonstrate the ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
5. Understand how to get things done or who to ask by having robust project management capabilities.
6. Demonstrate accurate and detailed analytical thinking, financial acumen, and business insights.
Strategic Direction: Help firm leadership maintain momentum on mission-critical projects and stay abreast of important decisions or deadlines. Perform diligently on projects and initiatives by understanding critical strategic goals.
Management and Facilitation: Manage special projects/initiatives. Facilitate follow up of action items from leadership meetings and retreats. Work with CEO, Chiefs, and Leadership Cabinet on a master planning cycle for the firm as it applies to Departments and Industries. Ensure that decision-making processes are explicit, follow-up actions from meetings are clear, and commitments to act get completed by agreed-upon deadlines. A successful Business Manager will exert tenacity in these efforts.
Measurement and Evaluation: Develop or use existing firm tools and processes to ensure alignment, effectiveness, and efficiency across the firm in pursuing strategic goals. Prepare materials summarizing relevant information for the CEO and Chiefs, including gathering essential project data.
Knowledge of Business Operations: Prepare reports for senior management and work on firm policies. This position will develop proven management tools to research, analyze, and improve efficiencies.
Education and Experience
• A bachelor’s degree in business administration, business management, or other related field is mandatory. MBA is strongly preferred.
• At least five years’ experience in a management position.
• Project management experience strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of law firm operations or familiarity with professional services environments is preferred.
• Ideal candidates will be familiar with law firm operations, legal accounting, and finance, the elements of law firm profitability at the client and matter level as well as the attorney level. They will understand the challenges of local office operations.
This position may require occasional travel to other office locations.
About Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt
Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt is a law firm that offers a new type of client experience based on a deep industry focus. We provide a wide range of legal services to our clients through comprehensive, proactive, and industry-focused advice to help them achieve their goals. We focus on six industry groups: Healthcare and Life Sciences; Technology; Transportation, Ports, and Maritime; Real Estate and Construction; Natural Resources; and Manufacturing, Distribution, and Retail. With more than 180 attorneys, Schwabe is one of the largest Pacific Northwest regional law firms, with offices in Portland, Eugene, Bend, and Salem, Oregon; Seattle and Vancouver, Washington; Mountain View, California; and Anchorage, Alaska.
Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt provides a team-oriented working environment, offering competitive salaries and excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, LTD, 401(k)/profit sharing retirement, tuition reimbursement, EAP, transit subsidy, and paid time off.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other status protected by law.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to the HR Director at Recruiting@schwabe.com.