Post Date: 02/14/2020
Close Date: 03/02/2020
$61,920 - $79,116
***Apply online at: www.GreshamOregon.gov/jobs***
The City of Gresham's Building Division is expanding their team to support the growing business needs of the Gresham Community and surrounding areas. The Building Inspector 1 is responsible primarily for performing residential inspections and residential plan reviews. Based on current and forecasted operational needs, the City is anticipating hiring multiple positions in this capacity over the next several months. We are looking for individuals who want to be part of a collaborative team environment, understand the value of quality customer service, and strive to utilize their knowledge to ensure the safety of the public in residential structures in the Gresham Community.
We offer a robust benefit package that includes two options of medical/vision plans and three different dental plans, with no employee premium contribution. The City participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), and pays for the full contribution. This position is represented by the Teamster's Local 223. Employees earn paid time off and sick leave monthly, in addition to paid holidays throughout the calendar year. As a Building Inspector 1, you will enjoy a standardized schedule Monday through Friday.
As Oregon's fourth-largest city, Gresham is a welcoming community of hard-working people where tradition and heritage meet innovation and opportunity. Gresham is a dynamic and rapidly growing city where families and businesses have a mutual desire and drive to thrive. City of Gresham employees care deeply about the community they serve, and go 'one step beyond' to deliver services in collaborative, inventive, practical, and nimble ways. Our work is challenging, fast-paced and rewarding.
We believe that to deliver the highest level of service to all Gresham community members, it is crucial we employ a diverse workforce, foster an inclusive working environment, and ensure our policies and systems result in equitable outcomes. The City seeks candidates who will support these values by continuously incorporating equity in their daily work, and actively contributing to a workplace culture that respects unique viewpoints, life experiences, and cultural perspectives.
Come build the future with us.
As a Building Inspector 1, you will perform inspections and review plans of residential buildings for compliance with State of Oregon residential specialty codes and other applicable state and city ordinances. This will be done while providing technical assistance to customers in the office and in the field.
Your excellent interpersonal and communication skills will be used to interact with contractors, builders, architects, homeowners and the general public by answering questions concerning the application, interpretation and intent of codes, related procedures and how to achieve code compliance.
You will be asked to read and interpret construction blueprints to ensure compliance with approved plans and specifications. Issuing minor plumbing, mechanical, structural and electrical permits over the counter will be typical tasks in this role. Collaborating with appropriate staff and routing plans as needed will be involved.
As a Building Inspector 1, you will organize, prepare, and maintain accurate records of inspection and plan review activities utilizing the city's designated computer program. We are seeking someone who can write effectively, with attention to detail, to scribe letters regarding compliance on specific issues and complete other written reports and records as necessary.
A responsibility of a Building Inspector 1 is to notify contractors and homeowners of violations, and potentially issue stop work orders based on refusals to comply with applicable codes. In addition, you will enforce engineering, development codes and public standards zoning requirements such as sidewalks, setbacks, and drainage requirements.
Ideally, we desire someone who is collaborative, team-oriented, and has excellent communication skills for interaction with a variety of stakeholders. We value your attention to detail and ability to be self-motivated while acting in a lead capacity. The nature of this position requires a high level of professionalism, strong critical thinking skills and flexibility.
Qualified candidates will have knowledge of:
• State of Oregon Residential building, mechanical, electrical and plumbing Specialty Codes, ANSI standards, and other applicable standards and codes.
• Municipal building, fire, and electrical zoning, and related codes, ordinances, and regulations.
• Inspection techniques and practices.
• Occupation hazards and safety precautions applicable to the construction trades. Engineering principles related to Building Codes.
• Read and interpret plans, specifications, and engineering drawings to compare to construction in progress.
• Operate and enter information into a city computer and computer system. Perform accurate plans review.
• Communicate effectively with builders, contractors, and the general public in written and oral form.
• Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Two years of college coursework in a Building Inspection Technology Program
• Two years of trade/technical coursework
• Four years of experience in one or more areas of building construction
Licenses, Certificates, and Other Requirements:
Required at time of hire:
• Valid Driver's License
• Oregon Inspector Certification (OIC)
• Oregon Residential Structural Inspector (CAS) or ICC Residential Building Inspector (ICC B1) and ICC Residential Mechanical Inspector (ICC M1)
• Oregon Residential Plans Examiner (CAX) or ICC Residential Plans Examiner Cert.
Additionally, Building Inspector 1's are eligible for additional certification pay as outlined in the most current Building Division Certification Pay MOU
***Apply online at: www.GreshamOregon.gov/jobs***
Complete details: www.GreshamOregon.gov/jobs