Post Date: 11/06/2019
Close Date: 12/31/2019
POSITION: Police Officer - Lateral Transfer
SALARY: See Position Description
OPENING DATE: 11/05/19
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
Port of Portland police officers are state certified peace officers who provide law enforcement services primarily at the Portland International Airport and surrounding areas, in compliance with federal aviation regulations. The police department consists of 61 sworn personnel and 4 non-sworn staff. In addition to uniform patrol; sworn assignments include detectives, canine handlers (explosive detection), bomb technician and task force positions. Our primary mission, as a proactive law enforcement agency, is to provide for the safety and security of the traveling public, with emphasis on preventing potential terrorist attacks on the aviation industry.
* To be considered as a Lateral transfer applicant, you must currently certified or eligible to be certified as a Police Officer in the State of Oregon without attending the Basic Police Academy AND who have a minimum of three years of experience as a State Certified Police Officer.
Steps for Filling a Vacancy: Qualification/Application Material Review and Testing (ORPAT) --> Oral Board Interview--> Background Investigation--> Chief's Interview--> Psychological Exam --> Medical Exam --> Pre-employment Drug Test --> Employment Confirmation
Candidates must successfully pass the Oregon Physical Abilities Test (ORPAT) before advancing to Qualification/Application Review. The Port will cover the cost of the ORPAT for successful candidates, however, candidates will be required to cover their own travel costs to the testing facility. Testing is held at Chemeketa Community College in Brooks, Oregon.
Lateral candidates must also complete a Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ). More information regarding the ORPAT and PHQ can be found at the National Testing Network. For information about how to schedule the ORPAT.
Port of Portland Employment Application: To be considered for employment with the Port of Portland Police Department, applicants must complete both the ORPAT and the Port of Portland's employment application by visiting our website: www.portofportland.com. It is important that your application show all of the relevant education and experience you possess. Applications may be rejected if incomplete. Resumes are not a substitute for incomplete or partially completed applications.
Salary is determined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement and years of continuous service.
Basic DPSST Certification
3 years: $71,687.20
4 years: $75,851.36
5 years: $80,402.40
Intermediate DPSST Certification
3 years: $73,837.92
4 years: $78,126.88
5 years: $82,815.20
Advanced DPSST Certification
3 years: $75,988.64
4 years: $80,402.40
5 years: $85,225.92
For questions related to the selection process, please contact Monique Hunter by email: email@example.com or by phone at 503.415.6539.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the protection of life and property at Portland International Airport (PDX).
- Performs the full range of law enforcement and airport security duties.
- Ensure public convenience and well-being while traveling through airport facilities.
- Respond to needs of airport tenants in a prompt and professional manner.
- Currently certified or eligible to be certified as a Police Officer in the State of Oregon without attending the Basic Police Academy is required.
- Minimum of three years experience as a Certified Police Officer is required. Preference will be given to candidates actively working as a law enforcement officer.
- Valid driver's license is required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain security clearance for unescorted access to secured areas of the airport.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Possess combination of physical strength and stamina required to perform physical performance expectations.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to:
- write comprehensive and confidential reports as assigned.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, and general public.
- work under adverse conditions.
- pass comprehensive police background check and post-offer drug test, psychological evaluation and medical examination.
Diversity and Inclusion: At the Port, we don't just accept difference; we value and support it to create a culture of inclusiveness and fun. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EEO/Affirmative Action Policy Statement: The Port of Portland is dedicated to maintaining and improving a work environment, which extends equal opportunity to all individuals, regardless of their race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation. Employment decisions shall be made in such a manner as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity and to comply with state, federal and local laws. We affirm through this policy statement our continuing commitment to the principles of nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
Veterans Preference: Under Oregon law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans preference when applying for Port of Portland positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans preference for this job, please provide the qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
Background Checks and Drug Testing: The Port of Portland will conduct background checks and/or drug tests for positions where such tests are required by regulation and for other highly sensitive positions.
ADA Accommodation: Accommodations will be considered for applicants or candidates with a qualifying disability that prevents them from participating in this process. Accommodations will be made where the Port can reasonably do so without imposing an undue hardship on the business or compromising the integrity of the recruitment process. An applicant with any disability who believes that he or she needs an accommodation should contact Human Resources at 503.415.6690
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
Complete details: https://portofportland.com/Careers