Post Date: 11/05/2019
Close Date: 11/30/2019
Associate Product Owner
Reports to: Director, Application Development
Schedule: Monday – Friday
Status: Full-time / Exempt
Location: Portland, OR
Date Written/Revised: October 2019
Learning.com is looking for an entry-level Associate Product Owner to join our development team! Prior experience in a product owner role is not required, however you do need to have some experience that can demonstrate your ability to fulfill the primary job functions.
As part of an Agile development team you’ll contribute to a wide variety of tasks, but your day to day work will involve conducting and sharing research about our users, gathering needs and wants from internal project stakeholders, and creating and prioritizing a backlog of user stories for your team. You’ll work closely with our UX and application architects to design and test new features. Your primary goal will be to understand both business and user goals and steer your team to maximize the value they deliver.
Development at Learning.com
We build web-based software as a service for the K-8 US education market. This includes a Learning Management System for educators and interactive digital content for students. We create our products using technologies like SQL, Redis, Docker, C# / .NET Core, Angular, and HTML5/CSS.
Like all companies of a certain age, we have some legacy applications and code. However, we’ve made substantial investments in modernizing and cutting technical debt. The bulk of our codebase and investment today revolves around an event-based microservices architecture. We practice continuous integration and daily deployments – code changes made into one of our microservices in the morning are often tested and in production by that evening!
Our development organization is divided into teams using Agile methodologies (think Scrum or Kanban). Teams are cross-functional and contain multiple engineers as well as dedicated QA, team facilitator, and product owner roles. We also practice a user-centered design philosophy where empathizing with user needs and getting continual feedback is paramount to design and implementation decisions.
You’re a professional who likes to work in highly collaborative environments. In a team situation, you put forward your best effort and expect the same of your peers. You are open to hearing from diverse perspectives and support good ideas even when they are not your own.
You are self-motivated. In a situation where nobody is standing over your shoulder you can keep yourself focused on what is most important and move forward toward the goal.
You have a growth mindset. When you come across something you don’t know how to do, you think to yourself “I don’t know how to do that…. yet.” You like learning new things and view challenges as opportunities.
You enjoy interacting with people. You’re equally comfortable in a 1 on 1 interview with someone you’ve met or facilitating a focus group in a classroom with a teacher and 30 kiddos. Engagement in conversation with others charges your batteries.
You understand your target audience and can tailor your message to fit. You know that our executive VP needs a different kind of message from a 3rd grader, but you feel confident in communicating with both.
You are an active and effective listener. You can empathize with people on the other end of the conversation and sense what they are communicating both verbally and non-verbally.
You are solutions oriented. Not only do you spot and highlight risks or challenges, you also offer potential solutions and can discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each.
About the Role
As an Associate Product Owner at Learning.com, your responsibilities include:
• Participate as an embedded member of an Agile development team
• Write user stories, clarify requirements for the team, and prioritize stories in the backlog to maximize value delivered to the business
• Ensure that work delivered by the team meets customer needs
• Conduct ongoing customer research with direct customer contact by conducting interviews, issuing surveys, and facilitating focus groups both in-person and with remote videoconferencing
• Review competitors to understand how they are solving similar problems
• Synthesize and analyze collected research and share out your findings
• Work with architects to build personas, journey maps, and potential solution designs
• Collaborate on a regular basis with designated internal staff to:
o understand desired outcomes, expectations, and assumptions
o provide transparency around work in progress
o validate and collect feedback on upcoming plans
• Provide support and information about projects in flight to Sales, Marketing, and Customer Experience
• Collaborate with executive sponsors and Director of Product Strategy to understand the vision and goals of upcoming projects
• Other duties as assigned
To qualify for this role, you should fulfill these requirements:
• Associate degree with a business-related focus or equivalent work experience
• 1+ years professional work experience that includes:
o Setting and meeting goals
o Proactive and consistent communication
o Managing competing priorities
o Working with a team to deliver on-time results
• Ability to conduct in-depth customer research and requirements gathering
• Capable of contributing to the design and wireframing of potential solutions
• Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to operate effectively in a fast-paced environment
• Passionate about expanding the use of technology in K-8 education
This position is not open for any third-party agencies.
Learning.com is a national leader in providing digital literacy solutions that help prepare students for online assessments, school, college, and their future careers. The company offers a complete digital literacy curriculum for grades K-8 that engages students as they develop critical skills such as keyboarding, business applications, online safety, computational thinking, and coding. Founded in 1999, Learning.com currently partners with one in six U.S. school districts and serves more than 4 million students each year. The company has earned more than 30 industry awards, including ISTE 2017 Best of Show, 2017 Award of Excellence from "Tech & Learning Magazine", and "The Oregonian’s Top Workplace” for 2018, 2017, and 2016
Learning.com offers full-time employees a wide-ranging benefits package, including:
• Comprehensive health-care benefits
• Flex-time and telecommuting opportunities
• Flexible paid time off policy, including volunteer time off
• Free snacks, drinks, and fresh fruit
• Fitness and Bike Commuter reimbursements
• Education reimbursement
• Dog-friendly office
• Active Diversity & Inclusion Program
• And more!
Learning.com is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Complete details: https://learningjobs.applicantpool.com/jobs/389516.html