Post Date: 03/25/2019
Close Date: 04/18/2019
At Catlin Gabel School, we have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay and do their best work as educators. We pride ourselves on being a warm and welcoming community, and we know our school's success is due in large part to the hard work and dedication of our passionate employees.
Catlin Gabel's dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in our curriculum and in our mission. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different. Applications are welcome from anyone and everyone.
Position Title: UPPER SCHOOL SOCIAL STUDIES TEACHER
Department: UPPER SCHOOL
FTE: 1.0 (Exempt)
Reports to: UPPER SCHOOL HEAD
Catlin Gabel School is looking for an outstanding educator and community member to teach in the Social Studies Department. In addition to a strong academic background in history, ideal candidates will be versed in economics and religion, and have the ability to teach Modern World History. They will be avid followers of current events, with an eye toward facilitating student-driven solutions to global problems. Candidates should be open to teaching the full range of high school ages though we are looking to hire someone who genuinely enjoys the company of teenagers and specifically wants to work with ninth and tenth graders. The ideal candidate will seek to engage with the Catlin Gabel community in a variety of ways outside the classroom.
We are looking for a teacher who is committed to collaboration with colleagues and students, and values partnership with families. Catlin Gabel’s mission reflects a belief in progressive, experiential education and treating the student as the unit of consideration. The successful candidate will be an excellent communicator with a proven track record of being an engaging, student-centered teacher and a highly professional colleague.
Catlin Gabel requests much from its teachers beyond their classroom responsibilities. This includes working with students and colleagues to enrich the school’s life outside the classroom. Faculty members serve as guidance counselors for a cohort of student advisees, for example. These demands highlight the fact that any teaching position at Catlin entails more than just working with students in a subject; we feel this is both necessary and rewarding in a community and relationship-oriented school.
• Work collaboratively with fellow faculty members and administrators in curriculum design, assessment, and instruction, including horizontal and vertical alignment of the social studies program.
• Communicate in a clear and timely fashion with parents, students and colleagues, including writing student reports up to three times per year.
• Attend, actively listen and contribute to meetings regularly.
• Pursue professional growth opportunities, and be accountable and responsible for individual professional development.
• Coordinate and implement at the classroom level appropriate student assessments and utilize assessment results to enhance student learning.
• Integrate the use of technology to enhance student learning in music where appropriate.
• Create an inclusive classroom environment through regular class meetings, supportive exchanges with students, and clear expectations for classroom behavior.
• Act as Upper School student advisor.
• Other duties as assigned by Upper School Head.
• Complete required H.R. trainings each year (CPR, first aid, mandatory reporting, handling of hazardous materials, etc.)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• A Bachelor’s degree in History or a Social Studies field
• At least two years demonstrated teaching experience
• Experience with the Understanding by Design framework, student-centered teaching, project- based learning, and performance-based assessment a considerable advantage
• Willingness to sponsor activities and/or coach sports
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO APPLY, PLEASE VISIT: https://catlin.tedk12.com/hire/Index.aspx. Applicants MUST apply via the provided link to be considered.
Complete details: https://catlin.tedk12.com/hire/Index.aspx