Post Date: 05/21/2020
Close Date: 06/04/2020
Professional Engineer 1 – Region Bridge Inspector
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery and Operations Division – Engineering and Technical Services Branch
Bride Engineering Section / Bridge Operations Unit
ODOT is following the direction of the Governor's Office to help slow and prevent the spread of COVID-19. We are recruiting for agency critical positions at this time using virtual tools and processes such as video and phone interviewing to support social or physical distancing. We are also continuing to evaluate the situation and may extend or place recruitments on hold as appropriate. Current applicants for affected positions will be notified. Visit our COVID-19 web page for more information.
Take your career to great heights as a bridge inspector! In this role, you will inventory, inspect, evaluate and assess the condition state of all bridges, tunnels, culverts and sign support structures for the assigned area. Join us in keeping Oregon's roadways and transportation structures safe!
Positions are available in Bend, Milwaukie or Salem!
We will use this recruitment to fill two vacancies. Depending on the final candidates’ preference, the first position will be located in either Milwaukie or Bend and the second position will be located in either Milwaukie or Salem.
The goal of this recruitment is to fill this position at a professional engineer 1 level. However, we encourage candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for an associate in engineering 2 ($4,364 - $6,445 monthly) to apply, as we may consider under-filling the position until the selected candidate acquires a professional engineer's license. Under-filling will not exceed six months.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
A day in the life:
- Schedule and perform in-service inspections for structures.
- Assess the condition of bridge elements and determine and communicate the urgency of any deficiencies.
- Report on National Bridge Inventory (NBI) bridges, minor structures and structural sign bridges and cantilevers.
- Perform on-site assessments of the physical condition of structures and complete reports of the findings.
- Maintain a complete bridge record and filing system on all structures in the assigned area.
- Schedule, evaluate the condition, and report on major bridges, fracture critical, special detail and fatigue prone bridge members.
- Recommend or direct necessary maintenance, repairs or follow-up actions.
- Determine the cause and effect of structural deficiencies that could affect load capacity.
- Perform joint quality assurance inspections with the Bridge Operations Unit.
- Schedule and perform cross channel profiles and bridge clearances.
- Assist and advise the bridge inspection programs of the local cities and counties.
- Schedule, perform and direct timber boring inspections on timber elements of bridges.
- This position works outdoors more than 50% of the time.
- Inspection of bridges is regularly performed outdoors, year-round, in all weather conditions and in extremely hazardous locations including working and climbing on structures that are significant heights (up to 400 feet) above ground, over water, and traffic.
- Work is occasionally performed in, around, and with toxic chemicals.
- Work is performed in close proximity to high-speed truck and vehicular traffic.
- Considerable travel with approximately one overnight inspection trip per month and one weekend inspection per quarter.
- This position occasionally requires working alone.
What we need:
A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural or transportation-related engineering.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in the state of Oregon within six months of hire.
Additionally, driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position, including the under-fill option.
What we need for the associate in engineering 2 under-fill option:
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and one year of experience applying professional engineering theory, principles and methods.
To be eligible for the associate in engineering 2 under-fill option, a candidate must have passed the professional engineer (PE) exam at time of application and the candidate must have their valid professional engineer's license (the ability to stamp) within six months of hire. As the PE exam is offered twice a year, in most cases, this will mean applicants must have already met all PE licensing requirements (e.g. completed required education and training, passed the FE and PE exams, etc.) and submitted their complete PE license application to the PE licensing body.
Note: Certification as a bridge inspection team leader in the State of Oregon must be acquired within six months of hire for this position. This includes completion of a comprehensive training course based on the Bridge Inspector’s Reference Manual and passing the ODOT bridge inspector proficiency exam.
What we’d like to see:
- Experience performing bridge condition inspection or bridge construction inspection.
- Experience performing work at heights greater than 20 feet.
- Experience operating specialized work access equipment such as a man-lift, bucket truck or under-bridge inspection truck (UBIT).
- Experience working outdoors.
Learn more and apply!
- This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on June 4, 2020.
- Visit www.odotjobs.com and search for REQ-41115 to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
- For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer