Post Date: 08/23/2019
Close Date: 09/23/2019
OCHIN is currently looking for a talented Communications Specialist to join our team!
Who is OCHIN?
OCHIN is one of the nation’s largest and most successful Health Information Networks. Here, our goal is simple: to provide solutions that promote access to quality, affordable health care for all. Our Health IT solutions improve the integration and delivery of health care services across a wide variety of practices—with an emphasis on safety net clinics and small practices as well as critical access and rural hospitals.
Our corporate office is located in beautiful downtown Portland, Oregon. Working with us, you’ll find challenging projects, a collaborative team, and some of the best employee perks around, including public transportation reimbursement, an onsite gym, community volunteering activities, a generous PTO package, and a Dragon Boat Racing team! Recognized as one of the Top 100 Nonprofits to work for in Oregon. OCHIN is committed to creating a positive and enjoyable workplace for all its employees.
The Communications Specialist will craft and coordinate OCHIN communications for a wide variety of internal and external audiences and stakeholders. This role will support communications activities and campaigns across the organization. Proven critical thinker who makes appropriate decisions and finds solutions easily, the Communications Specialist is an implementer who thrives on managing multiple deliverables concurrently.
As a highly detail-oriented, organized, creative team, the Communications Specialist will help develop, write, and edit white papers, newsletter articles, media releases, position papers, member/customer communications, website content, social media, and more. This person is responsible for helping to ensure a consistent and engaging brand voice and presence on OCHIN products and creating written and visual content across all platforms. As a creative thinker, the Communications specialist generates new ideas and develops and executes communications plans with leaders and staff across the organization.
Outcomes for Success
The Communications Specialist is responsible for:
• Writing a wide variety of communications on a variety of company- and industry-related topics that are easily understood by the intended target audience(s) and consistent with OCHIN voice, style, and strategic focus
• Updating and maintaining OCHIN standard materials and presentations
• Writing and editing case studies, white papers, and policy/position papers
• Crafting OCHIN newsletter articles and blog posts
• Developing and publishing press releases, coordinating media packets and interview material
• Assisting with digital media, including social media
• Under the guidance of the leadership team, coordinating contracted video production for OCHIN
• Translating organizational research into policy or development opportunities
• Developing and executing communication plans
• Reviewing and editing communications created by others, including but not limited to: external facing emails, documents, presentations, posters and proposals
• Coordinating with product owners, organizational leaders, and subject matter experts in the development of content and materials
• Offering ongoing support for Communications, Marketing, and Media Relations activities
• Other duties as assigned
• 3-5 years of relevant experience in a marketing or communications role
• Strong organizational, communications, and editing skills
• Experience in the following software programs and applications:
o Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
o Social media and related tools: Facebook, Twitter, Hootsuite, LinkedIn
o Squarespace, Google Analytics
o WebEx or GoToMeeting
o Email marketing software (e.g., Emma, Constant Contact, or others)
• Attention to detail
• Proven ability to manage projects from concept through launch
• Must work effectively under pressure while meeting deadlines and delivering superior results
• Proven ability to meet tight timelines with high quality content
• Sincere commitment to working collaboratively with all constituent groups (members, staff, etc.)
• Self-starter who can work independently
• Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, and ability to communicate with diverse audiences
• Ability to adhere to brand guidelines (i.e., producing content that is consistent with the company or program brand)
• Works well in a fast-paced environment
• Journalism/Communications educational degree
• Experience with or at agency or public relations firms
• Background in health care
• Experience with Adobe Creative Suite – including Photoshop and InDesign – and Final Cut Pro or related
• Portland, OR
Our company culture is important to us. Successful candidates will identify easily with a set of character attributes, as listed below:
• A Communicator: You possess strong communication skills and have been told you have great customer service skills; you like people and want to help.
• A Critical Thinker: You have a mind that regularly looks for ways to find efficiencies, innovate, and make improvements where you can.
• Process Oriented: You’re able to understand, work in, create, and improve processes.
• A Collaborator: You’re a team player and relationship builder whose “can-do” attitude inspires others.
• Someone Who Seeks to Learn: You are eager to listen, study, and learn new things quickly; you are resourceful and are open to regularly accepting and growing from feedback.
• Entrepreneurial: You have proven success working in a fast-paced and changing environment; you are excited to play in a space where you’re adding value to the organization and its mission.
Job descriptions are designed to outline primary duties, responsibilities, and qualification requirements, and should not limit additional duties and responsibilities assigned. It is our expectation that all employees offer their services wherever and whenever deemed necessary to ensure the success of the organization.
Constant interpersonal skills, teamwork, customer service, problem analysis, and reading, speaking, writing, and understanding English. Frequent creativity, mentoring, presentations, and teaching. Occasional decision making and independent judgment or action. Frequent keyboarding, sitting, standing, hearing, and talking.
OCHIN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. OCHIN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal civil rights laws.
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, as well as a check against the Office of Inspector General’s (OIG) exclusion list.