Post Date: 06/21/2019
Close Date: 07/17/2019
Health Compliance Officer (Industrial Hygienist 2)
$4,221 - $6,162
To protect and serve Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate.
The Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS) is a progressive business regulatory state agency dedicated to the mission of protecting and serving Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate. The department administers state laws and rules governing workers' compensation, occupational safety and health, financial institutions, insurance companies and building codes. The department has consumer protection and education programs, offices, and ombudsmen to help consumers, injured workers, and businesses.
This position is with the Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Division (Oregon OSHA). Oregon OSHA is responsible for assuring safe and healthful working conditions for Oregon workers through promulgation and enforcement of Occupational Safety and Health Regulations, and by providing education and consultation to employees and employers.
This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).
What’s in it for you:
• Rewarding work in a fast-paced, creative environment.
• Colleagues who are passionate about public service.
• Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, and a competitive benefits package
Here’s what you will do:
The successful candidate will conduct health evaluations and investigations, take enforcement action in a broad range of workplaces to ensure employer compliance with the Oregon Safe Employment Act, conduct technical training, and provide abatement assistance for employers and employees.
Here’s what you need to qualify:
• Four years of industrial hygiene program experience in a major industry;
• A Bachelor's degree with courses (forty-five credit hours or thirty-two semester hours) in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Health, Chemistry, a physical or biological science, Ergonomics, or Industrial Engineering and one year of industrial hygiene program experience in a major industry;
• An Associate's degree in Industrial Hygiene and two years of industrial hygiene program experience in a major industry
Graduate level courses in any of the above subject areas is desirable and may be substituted, on a credit-hour basis, for a portion of the required experience.
• Strong technical industrial hygiene program knowledge
• Outstanding professional communication skills, including verbal and written skills
• Strong problem solving skills, including the ability to assist other staff with problem solving
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups
• Experience making decisions independently
• Preference may be given to applicants who are able to speak, read, and write Spanish fluently
You must clearly demonstrate in your application and application materials that you meet the qualifications listed. Failure to provide this information may result in not being considered further.
How To Apply:
• To apply for this position, visit the website here: https://oregon.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/SOR_External_Career_Site/job/Salem--Tandem-Avenue---DCBS/Health-Compliance-Officer--Industrial-Hygienist-2-_REQ-11510-1 and click on the "Apply" button to fill out the online application and complete the questionnaire.
• A cover letter is required for this job posting. Please attach this document in the “My Experience” section under Resume/CV in the application.
• Only complete applications received by the posted application deadline date will be considered.
After you apply:
• Log in to your Workday account before the job announcement closes to see if you have any pending tasks or actions. These can be found under the “My Applications” section.
• Make sure to complete these tasks or actions before the job announcement closes.
• Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
• As part of the application selection process, you may be asked to complete a skills assessment or submit a writing sample.
• The successful candidate must have a valid driver's license and a satisfactory driving record. Prior to an offer of employment, DCBS may request that you provide an official driving record.
• Employment will be contingent upon passing a criminal background check.
• Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans' preference. For further information, please see the following website: Veterans Resources. You may also call the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs at 1-800-692-9666. NOTE: If claiming veterans preference please be sure to check your Workday account for pending tasks or actions under your “My Applications” section.
• The Department of Consumer and Business Services does not offer VISA sponsorships. Within three days of hire, you will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security's I-9 form confirming authorization to work in the United States.
Helpful Links And Contact Information:
Learn more about DCBS
Understanding the State Application Process
Help & Support webpage
Learn more about Oregon
For additional information you may contact us by e-mail at DCBS.Recruiting@oregon.gov or by phone at 503-378-3200.
DCBS is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to workforce diversity.