Post Date: 11/04/2019
Close Date: 12/06/2019
Portland YouthBuilders (PYB) provides educational, vocational, and leadership development programs for very low income youth. All of the young people we serve (ages 17-24) have dropped out of high school and come to us for a chance at creating a brighter, better future. Our programs support youth who are trying to make a positive change in their lives.
PYB is deeply committed to continuously working to make our organization a more equitable and just place for both students and staff. As it is written in our equity statement: At PYB, we believe that communities are strengthened when diversity is honored. We believe we have a responsibility to interrupt and confront inequity. At PYB, we commit to continuously reflect and challenge the ways in which we, as a community, and as individuals, perpetuate inequity. It is not only vital to our students’ success but essential to our purpose.
We are seeking someone who is committed to PYB’s mission and equity statement and who is inspired by working to improve the lives of young people from diverse backgrounds.
The Events and Communications Specialist will work closely with PYB’s Development Director, Senior Grant Writer, and VISTA Volunteer to reach organizational fundraising goals. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, complete oversight of stand-alone projects related to event management and creating print/online publications.
Reports to: Development Director
Employment Status: Regular, Exempt
Schedule: 20 hours/week; typically between 8:00am – 4:00pm weekdays with occasional evening/weekend hours
Compensation: $25-30,000/year DOE for 20 hours/week ($50-60,000/year DOE for 1FTE)
Benefits: 7 weeks paid vacation during school closures (4 weeks in summer; 2 weeks in winter; 1 week Spring Break), prorated in first year based on length of service; most state recognized holidays paid, plus 1 personal day/month; $325/month contribution to cafeteria plan for health care benefits and/or retirement savings (prorated from the $650 full-time rate); dynamic work environment with great team of students and staff.
Application Closes: Open until filled
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
• Coordinate small- and large-scale fundraising events
• Manage special projects as assigned
• Assist with data entry and reporting
• Create and execute a broad range of PR and marketing opportunities for PYB
• Assist with crafting content (visuals and copy) for all social media platforms
• Assist with crafting content for internal and external publications
• Collaborate with colleagues - be open, energetic, innovative, equitable
• Attend staff meetings and department meetings and all-staff professional development opportunities
• Execute delegated responsibilities as identified by Development Director
QUALIFYING KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent nonprofit work experience
• Minimum of 2 years in development, communications, or nonprofit administration
• Event management experience
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to pass fingerprint-based Criminal Background Check and drug screening
• Valid Driver’s License
• Experience with Salesforce or other donor databases
• Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite
• Working knowledge of graphic design and photo editing software
• Experience creating content for Instagram, Facebook, and other social channels
Specific job skills include:
• Culturally competent practice; willing to engage in conversations about race
• Ability to develop one-on-one relationships with people from diverse backgrounds
• Customer-service mindset; ability to listen and respond with empathy and tact
• Compelling writer and storyteller
• Ability to see the big picture while also tracking small details
• Ability to take initiative, prioritize, plan and organize
• Effective problem prevention and problem solving skills
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
• Commitment to professional growth
• Self-starter with the ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
• Ability to improvise and work through uncertainties
Please email your application your cover letter and resume as attachments (Word or PDF) to Tonia Kovtunovich at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please highlight your professional experience with nonprofit events and/or communications. Applications will be reviewed as they come in until the position is filled.
Portland YouthBuilders’ mission connects us to people and communities across Portland. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, disability, veteran status, or any other classifications applicable by law. Portland YouthBuilders is committed to the diversity of our people, programs and services. The organization acts affirmatively in the employment and advancement of qualified people of color. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. TTY1-800-735-2900
PYB employees and volunteers must successfully complete a criminal background and drug test check prior to work. Portland YouthBuilders is a Drug Free Workplace and adheres to the requirements of the Drug Free Workplace Act. Portland YouthBuilders’ students and staff are subject to random drug tests.
• This project was funded in part (25%) by a grant awarded under the YouthBuild Initiative in the amount of $1,100,000 as implemented by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration.
• This program financed in part with funds provided through Worksystems, Inc. from the U.S. Department of Labor, the City of Portland, and the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
• PYB is an AmeriCorps program and students who are AmeriCorps members are eligible for an education award.
Complete details: http://pybpdx.org/about/career-opportunities