Post Date: 03/04/2019
Close Date: 03/18/2019
THIS WORK MATTERS
Are you a Human Resources professional, with experience in a unionized environment, who is looking for an exciting new opportunity? Do you have the ability to integrate diverse and competing interests? Do you have experience building and maintaining effective relationships across multiple backgrounds, perspectives and cultures? If so, we have a great opportunity for you!
The Health Department seeks a results oriented Human Resources Director who demonstrates excellent communication and analytical skills to join our leadership team. The Health Human Resources Director works under the direction of the Health Department Director, and in consultation and collaboration with the County's Chief Human Resources Officer. This individual will manage and direct human resources for the Health Department's diverse programs within primary care, public health, mental health and addiction services and corrections health.
This Human Resources Director is responsible for achieving goals and objectives; implementing and maintaining programs; and developing policies, procedures, and systems. The position is responsible for directing, administering, and evaluating the effectiveness of all departmental human resource functions specifically within employee and labor relations, performance management and compliance. This position will provide human resources services in a complex political environment, build a collaborative partnership with our unions, and ensure compliance with County policies and contractual agreements.
The Health Department is the local public health authority for Multnomah County's 735,000+ residents with more than 1400 employees and a budget of $333.5 million.
The Health Department includes Oregon's largest Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) in the Integrated Clinical Services (ICS) Division. ICS provides services through school-based (10 sites), primary care (8 sites), dental (5 sites), and HIV (1 site) health centers.
Multnomah County contains Portland, the state's largest city and county seat. Portland is located in northwestern Oregon where the Columbia and Willamette rivers meet. The Portland metropolitan area includes the cities of Portland, Gresham, Beaverton, Lake Oswego and more than a dozen other cities and towns, and has a combined population of 2.2 million. In recent years, Portland has been featured nationally as one of the most livable and desirable communities. Portland offers natural splendor and urban amenities alike.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS
• Equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Human Resource Management, Organizational Development, Business Management or a related field
• At least five (5) years professional-level work experience in human resources
• Leadership and program management experience in a complex and diverse organization preferred
• Experience in a unionized / public sector environment and/or healthcare setting preferred.
The successful applicant will have demonstrated competencies in the following areas:
• Proven leadership, including the ability to communicate clearly and effectively; build constructive internal and external relationships; take calculated risks; create a work environment that encourages creative thinking, problem solving and innovation; make sound and well-informed decisions; fully understand and anticipate the impact of those decisions; and develop risk mitigation strategies accordingly.
• Strategic and systems thinking, including the ability to determine objectives and set priorities; anticipate threats and opportunities and develop appropriate strategies; model effective integration of experiences, errors and discoveries to drive learning and organizational improvement; and examine policy issues and strategic planning with a long-term perspective.
• Diversity and equity, including the ability to champion, value and leverage differences; be accountable to ensure access, equity and inclusion in our services, policies, practices and procedures; support a culture of open collaboration, and respectful courageous conversations concerning institutional barriers to equity.
• Management, including the ability to develop and maintain effective controls to ensure the integrity of the organization; lead and manage an inclusive workplace that maximizes the talents of each person to achieve sound business results; and effectively manage and resolve conflict.
• Individual characteristics, including the ability to create a culture that fosters high standards of ethics and integrity; behaving in a fair and ethical manner towards others; and a demonstrated sense of corporate responsibility and commitment to public service.
The Ideal Candidate will have a proven track record demonstrating the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Possess a solid foundation in each of the functional areas of human resources in order to direct program areas; train, supervise, and manage the work of technical and professional personnel staff and consultants.
• Ability to analyze complex human resource issues, make sound recommendations and/or develop alternative solutions; utilize strong oral and written communication skills to move complex issues forward to positive resolution.
• Effectively manage employee relations program areas/issues; conduct investigations, prepare disciplinary actions, grievance processing/resolutions; assist legal counsel in arbitration and litigation, and bargaining.
• Strong experience and demonstrated positive relationships working in a unionized environment – 80% of the Health Department workforce is represented by a collective bargaining agreement.
• SHRM-SCP, SHRM-CP, SPHR, or PHR certification or degree in Human Resources
• Experience using an equity lens and/or knowledge of incorporating equity criteria in decision-making processes
• Understanding how to navigate in a political environment
*Transferable skills: Your transferable skills are any skills you have gained through education, work experience (including the military) or life experience that are relevant for this position. Be sure to describe any transferable skills on your application and clearly explain how they apply to this position
SCREENING AND EVALUATION:
Application Requirements: The application packet consists of the following:
• A cover letter: Your cover letter should address how you qualify for the position.
• A resume covering relevant experience and education. Please be sure your resume includes the following for each employer: name of employer, location, dates of employment, your title, a brief summary of your responsibilities, the number of employees under your supervision.
• Three professional references, which should include: name, current position, employer, phone number(s) and e-mail address. We will notify candidates before contacting references directly.
Diversity and Inclusion: At Multnomah County, we don't just accept difference; we value it and support it to create a culture of dignity and respect for our employees.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran or protected veteran status, genetic information and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available for your reference. Multnomah County is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We request priority protected veteran referrals.
Veterans’ Preference: Under Oregon Law, qualifying veterans may apply for veterans’ preference. Review our veterans’ preference page for details about eligibility and how to apply.
Accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act: We gladly provide reasonable accommodation to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing an application or participating in this recruitment process. Please contact the recruiter below in advance to request assistance. Individuals with hearing or speech impairments may contact the recruiter through the Telecommunications Relay Service by dialing 711.
Complete details: https://multco.us/jobs