Post Date: 01/16/2020
Close Date: 02/29/2020
Russian, Simplified Chinese, Somali, Spanish and Vietnamese
This is an on-call position to provide quality translation services with speed, accuracy and correct language usage of grammar, spelling, punctuation and appropriate vocabulary for a variety of communications and documentation across the district. PPS on-call translators work remotely and can accept or decline work according to their availability. We estimate a workload of 10 hrs. to 19 hrs. weekly. Must reside in the state of Oregon.
Classification of Levels:
PPS utilizes a tier approach as follows:
Level One (entry level) – One (1) year of translation experience plus fluency in the source language and the target language. Translator must be a native speaker of the target language or the language they would be translating into.
Level Two – Three (3) years of experience translating complex business or educational materials and communications and a Bachelor’s degree in English, target language, education, or specialty area of translation.
Preferred: American Translators Association (ATA) certification in target language, sworn or government-approved translator in language pairs from country where target language is the primary language, or a native speaker of the target language or the language they would be translating into.
Level Three – Five (5) years of experience translating complex business or educational materials and communications.
Master’s degree in English, target language, education, or specialty area of translation.
ATA certification or American Literary Translation Association (ALTA) certification, or Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR) credential through the US Federal government.
• Translate a wide variety of documents and other district materials from one language to another with speed and accuracy.
• Assisting with district specialized translation assignments on an as needed basis, including but not limited to transcreation of educational, marketing, communications’ campaigns and other materials.
• Support the district with urgent and emergency messaging, etc.
• Collaborate with the Language Access Services manager to continue developing and improving PPS’s translated glossaries.
• Proofread and edit translations made by others for accuracy, context, readability, grammar and style.
• Provide quality translation services with speed, accuracy and correct language usage of grammar, spelling, punctuation and appropriate vocabulary for a variety of communications & documentation across the district.
• Provide language services access district-wide during Teacher/parent conferences.
1. Fluent in reading and writing in English and the TARGET language.
2. Knowledge and/or experience with the culture(s) associated with the TARGET languages.
3. Knowledge of basic terminology related to a public K-12 educational system (math, science, curriculum development, special education, etc.).
4. Experience working on transcreation assignments.
5. At least one year of paid translation experience
6. Bachelor’s degree – preferred
7. Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. DTP experience a plus.
Specific Skills, Knowledge, Ability-based Competencies:
• Mastery of required source language to targeted second language to that of native speaker
• Correct language usage of grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary
• Accurate translation of written documents with the ability to localize as requested
• Usage of pertinent software applications; and preparation and maintenance of accurate records, including keeping track of worked hours and monthly invoice preparation
• Understanding of cultural references including colloquialisms, slang and other expressions that do not translate literally
• Ability to recognize sensitive cultural differences and explain certain cultural concepts to avoid miscommunication.
• Adhere to PPS Language Access Services rules of confidentiality
• Establishing effective working relationships
• Working independently under time constraints
• Ability to process information quickly and concisely. Exceptional attention to detail.
Level One; Pay Grade 15: $25.15 - $30.04 per hour
Level Two; Pay Grade 23: $30.65 - $36.60 per hour
Level Three; Pay Grade 29: $35.55 - $42.44 per hour
All PPS job offers are contingent on the satisfactory completion of a background check, including fingerprinting and criminal records ($94.50 fee).
HOW TO APPLY: Please visit our website at: http://www.pps.net/Page/2158 and select Job# 20487
CLOSING DATE: This job is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed as received. Portland Public Schools reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any point during the posting period.
The District is focused on eliminating systemic racism and its impact on student learning.
PPS is committed to equal opportunity and nondiscrimination in all its educational and employment activities. The District prohibits discrimination based on race; national or ethnic origin; color; sex; religion; age; sexual orientation; gender expression or identity; pregnancy; marital status; familial status; economic status or source of income; mental or physical disability or perceived disability or perceived disability; or military service. Portland Public Schools is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Complete details: http://www.pps.net/Page/2158 and select Job# 20487