Post Date: 08/20/2019
Close Date: 09/17/2019
Do you have a love of storytelling? Are you tuned in to digital trends? Is Oregon one of your favorite places on the planet? We know the feeling.
Working for Travel Oregon is much more than a job, it’s a passion for the state, an appreciation of the sometimes unpredictable, always spectacular place we call home. It’s a quirky sense of humor, the pursuit of a life less ordinary, an eternal quest for the next farm-to-table meal, powdery slope, coastal sunrise or cultural experience. But, above all it’s working to optimize the impact of tourism on the state’s economy by providing visitors with authentic, high-quality Oregon experiences. Our team delivers unequaled tourism expertise to the entire state and tells Oregon’s story to the world while ensuring the preservation of Oregon’s way of life and its natural places.
We are currently recruiting for a Content Editor to support our mission of being the trusted source of travel information that inspires and welcomes a diversity of explorers. Based in our downtown Portland office, this role implements the editorial workflow across Travel Oregon’s portfolio of print and online channels, writes travel stories and social media posts for Travel Oregon's consumer-facing channels and reviews/edits stories submitted by other writers.
The successful candidate is an emerging written communications professional with a meticulous eye for detail that would enjoy spending the day writing and editing copy with moderate supervision. Here’s what we expect you to bring to the table:
• A four-year degree with major course work in English, communications, marketing, journalism or a related field -OR- any combination of education, certification, coursework and/or technical training necessary to meet position requirements
• Three (3) years of professional experience in publishing, marketing or social media with experience developing, writing and editing narrative features for print, online and social platforms with:
o Advanced grammar skills and proficiency in AP Style
o Advanced ability to conceptualize, write and edit content for digital publishing
o Advanced ability to discern detail and quality across a variety of written content (i.e. in-depth online features, print magazine stories, etc.)
o Ability to craft written and visual content to communicate effectively to diverse audiences
• Basic understanding of best practices in permission-based marketing principles and digital marketing trends
• Experience with HTML and website content management software, ideally WordPress, as well as photography and video editing software, such as Adobe Photoshop and Premiere
• Experience in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, including presentation development using Power Point; experience with project management, collaboration and multimedia tools such as Basecamp, Google Docs, and Dropbox
• A strong interest in marketing, digital communication and community management
• An unfettered love of Oregon, its people and its places
• Work in/understanding of the tourism industry.
The Oregon Tourism Commission (dba Travel Oregon) is a semi-independent state agency created by the Oregon Legislature in 2003. Our workplace culture is a big part of what makes us effective in fulfilling our mission. We are driven and passionate about the work we do, so we want to make doing that work even more rewarding. We offer a benefits plan which includes medical, dental and vision insurance (premium paid in full by Travel Oregon), paid holidays, paid vacation and sick/personal leaves and eligibility for participation in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) and the Oregon Savings Growth Plan. Optional benefits include access to life insurance, long- and short-term disability, and long-term care insurance.
To view a full job description and apply, please visit TravelOregon.HiringThing.com. To learn more about Travel Oregon, visit our consumer and industry websites at traveloregon.com and industry.traveloregon.com.
Travel Oregon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age or disability, and is committed to workplace diversity. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Reasonable accommodation is available to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing this application or participating in this process. To obtain confidential assistance with the application process, please contact Human Resources at 971-717-6205. If you are selected to interview and require particular accommodation during the interview, please inform us when scheduling the interview.
Travel Oregon provides qualifying veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment. If you are an eligible veteran that meets the minimum qualifications for this position and you wish to claim veterans' preference, you must upload the following required documentation along with your resume and cover letter when applying on our careers site:
o A copy of your DD214/DD215 form; OR a letter from the US Dept. of Veterans Affairs indicating you receive a non-service connected pension. -OR-
o A copy of your DD214/DD215 form; AND a copy of your veterans' disability preference letter from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs.
For more information on veterans' preference in state employment, visit www.oregon.gov/jobs/Pages/Veterans.
Complete details: https://traveloregon.hiringthing.com