Post Date: 06/17/2020
Close Date: 07/17/2020
Job Title: Temporary Environmental Field Technician (approximately through October)
Wage: $20 per hour
Reports to: GSI Project Manager
Office Location: Downtown Portland, one block from the Yamhill District MAX Station
Field Location: North Portland in St. John’s area
Closing Date: Open until filled
GSI Water Solutions, Inc. (GSI), is seeking a temporary assignment (approximately through October) paid field technician to be involved in field sampling work related to Portland Harbor Remedial Design Investigation at Willamette Cove, along with other project support as needed. Willamette Cove is an important site within the Portland Harbor Superfund Site as it is one of the only locations that is planned for long-term open space with future public greenway access and provide slackwater habitat to migratory fish species.
Field duties - Sampling
• Sample collection of surface water, porewater, soil, and sediment samples
• Sample processing for laboratory analysis
• Transporting samples to laboratories or scheduling and meeting couriers for sample collection
• Developing and completing sample chains of custody
• Packing samples into coolers.
Field Duties - Other
• Visual observations of field activities and recording activities in a field logbook
• Photographic documentation of field efforts
• Ensuring contractors comply with site plans developed and site safety requirements
• Performing quality checks/audits of field activities
• Misc. field support
• General site housekeeping
• Moving supplies or samples to designated locations.
• Scanning field notes and field paperwork
• Writing field summaries of activities conducted
• Preparation for field activities
• Closeout from field activities
• Data entry
• Misc. office duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This job will have a large component in the field and outdoors. Field efforts are conducted in waterways and at sites formerly impacted by past industrial practices. Physical requirements include lifting and carrying equipment, sediment core barrels, or coolers up to 50 pounds in weight.
The person in this role must be capable of working long field days, 10-12 hour days up to 6 days a week (scheduled time off can be accommodated with prior planning).
Required Certificates and Licenses
• 40-hr OSHA HAZWOPER certification (Training course and hours in class paid by GSI, if not currently certified)
• Valid driver’s license with no suspensions or restrictions.
Training or hands-on experience in environmental sampling practices and procedures.
Valued Education and Experience
• Basic Microsoft Office skills.
• Interested in working on environmental cleanup sites with recognition there are other cleanup sites within Portland Harbor that require similar skills as will be developed during this assignment
• Good attention to detail in relation to note-taking, sampling protocols, and safe work practices
• Ability to work independently and within a collaborative group environment.
In 2000, our three founders left a large consulting firm to start something different. We take pride in being a company that supports local organizations, treats its employees with respect and fairness, actively seeks out a diverse candidate pool, has a strong focus on social equity and environmental justice, and engages in green practices and reducing GSI’s carbon footprint.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
GSI is committed to supporting employment opportunities for individuals with current or historical connections to the Lower Willamette River that contains Portland Harbor Superfund site. This includes Black, Indigenous, and people of color and others with connections to North and Northeast Portland neighborhoods.
To apply, please email your resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.