Post Date: 11/04/2019
Close Date: 11/15/2019
Position Title: Human Resource & Accounting Specialist
Departments: Administration & Finance Department
Reports to: Human Resources Manager
Hours: Full-time, Non-Exempt, generally 8-5 Monday-Friday with one hour unpaid lunch
Compensation: Starting Salary Range: $15.61-$16.88/hour, DOE, plus generous benefits package
Primary Site: 12350 SE Powell Blvd, Portland, OR 97236
Want to help make a difference? Human Solutions counters the forces that keep people and communities in poverty by building relationships and assets that create opportunity - today and for future generations.
We partner with people and communities impacted by poverty so they can achieve long-term housing and economic security. We invest in affordable housing and community assets that contribute to strong, inclusive neighborhoods. We advocate with our community for policies and investments that expand housing and economic opportunity, eliminate wealth inequality and end poverty.
East Portland/East Multnomah County, Oregon is our home and the heart of our investments, advocacy and programs.
Human Solutions envisions vibrant, healthy neighborhoods where all people can share in the security, hopes and advantages of a thriving, supportive community.
Human Solutions operates as a nimble, financially strong organization driven by our passion, strategic goals and guiding principles.
Diversity, inclusion and equity are fundamental values for Human Solutions, both internally and externally. HSI has an Anti-Oppression Diversity Committee, which serves as a sounding board for new internal policies and procedures to make sure that we’re taking into account diversity and inclusion. It also helps with diversity-related projects, such as coordinating staff diversity trainings and providing ongoing input into our equity work.
Human Solutions is working to end homelessness and poverty in our community because everyone deserves a safe place to call home.
What Human Solutions Can Offer You: We offer a comprehensive array of benefits in support of your physical, emotional and financial well-being. A few highlights:
• Employer paid premiums for employee health insurance.
• Generous paid time off, 11 paid holidays, a floating birthday holiday and the ability to maintain a great work/life balance.
• Employer paid premiums for short-term and long-term disability insurance and life insurance.
• Access to an employee assistance program.
• Flexible spending accounts for health and for dependent care.
• Professional development opportunities, including employee driven committees and monthly optional staff workshops.
• Access to wellness initiatives and resources including things such as walking groups, yoga classes at two office locations and workshops on stress management, self-care and healthy living.
• Opportunity to contribute to a 401k retirement plan with a 2% employer match after three months of employment.
• A six-week paid sabbatical after every seven years of consecutive employment with HSI.
SUMMARY: The Human Resource & Accounting Specialist plays a critical role in supporting Human Solutions’ human resources and bridging the agency’s HR function with the Finance Department. The position is responsible for administrative tasks and the provision of excellent customer service for both HR and Finance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Conduct new employee orientations and ensure new hire paperwork has been completed satisfactorily.
• Process data entry for new employees into HR module and payroll system.
• Be main point of contact within agency for all Personnel Action Forms (PAFs)
• Ensure that employee employment files are up to date and complete. Maintain the storage and filing of personnel records required by law or local governing bodies.
• Ensure all personnel actions, payroll deductions and benefits have been recorded correctly within the HRIS/payroll system.
• Ensure timely notification and tracking of performances appraisals.
• Administer the employee onboarding program, including scheduling each session, arranging lunch for attendees and notifying employees that must attend.
• Operate the employee anniversary recognition program.
• Orient new employees to Human Solutions’ benefit program/software and ensure enrollment of employees in these programs.
• Maintain employee cell phone program and employee asset agreements and tracking these within the HR module.
• Schedule Finance Committee meetings and draft minutes.
• Assist with reconciliation of general ledger (GL) accounts.
• Answer and complete inquires for employment/income verifications, as well as requests for information for unemployment insurance.
• With other members of Finance Dept., assist with releasing former employees from 401(k) plan.
• Update organizational chart per changes in personnel via PAF & New Hire Data Sheets.
• Notify employees of eligibility and procedure to contribute to 401(k) plan.
• Notify employees and supervisors of sabbatical eligibility.
• Prepare journal entries as assigned.
• Keep accounting office and supplies organized.
• Purge and archive documents according to retention policy
• Provide clerical support to accounting department
This job has no supervisory responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• 2 years of relevant HR and bookkeeping or accounting experience and/or an accounting degree, HR certificate or degree
• Punctuality, dependability and attention to detail are essential
• Ability to interact with other staff, volunteers, clients, vendors, and the general public in a professional manner
• Ability to plan, prioritize and coordinate multiple projects
• Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Products and Windows operating environment
• Ability to write business correspondence which may include taking meeting minutes and drafting letters containing financial language
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and professional boundaries with all financial and personnel documents
• Cultural expertise and ability to provide excellent customer service to diverse staff
• Knowledge of social and economic issues creating poverty
Additional Requirements: Candidate must pass background screening.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Current Oregon Driver’s License and current automobile insurance
Must be able to read, write and speak English both in person and by telephone. Ability to read and interpret accounting regulations, contracts, insurance policies and other complex material. Able to produce written financial narratives for a variety of audiences.
The ability to understand the effect of individual accounting entries and segregation of duties on internal controls. Must be able to prioritize and work under demands of short time lines. The individual must possess the ability to reason logically and methodically.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must be able to sit for long periods. They must be physically able to operate a telephone, fax machine, computer, ten-key, and copy machine. Some walking is required. Occasional lifting of up to forty pounds may be required.
Please send a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references to Marisa Messina, HR Manager to email@example.com. Must include “HR & Accounting Specialist” in the subject line of the email.
Human Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We strive to build a diverse workforce that reflects the population we serve. We strongly encourage people of color to apply for this position.
Complete details: http://humansolutions.org/about-us/work-with-us/