Post Date: 05/10/2019
Close Date: 06/30/2019
Warner Pacific University’s Mission: Warner Pacific is a Christ-centered, urban, Liberal Arts University dedicated to providing students from diverse backgrounds with an education that prepares them to engage actively in a constantly changing world. Our hiring practices reflect our missional commitment to being a Christ-centered institution.
Warner Pacific University’s Commitment to Diversity: Warner Pacific University is committed to hiring staff and faculty with an intentionality that demonstrates the importance of having an employee community that reflects the racial and ethnic diversity of the students we serve. Persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Summary Description: The University Public Information Manager is a full-time, benefit eligible position. Under the direction of the Vice President for Enrollment and Marketing, leads the public relations functions of the University. Plans and executes a comprehensive, proactive public relations strategy that advances the University’s mission and goals by building support for the institution and an understanding of its unique role. Works with other University staff to plan and implement public relations strategies that support efforts to reach and engage target audiences, which include the community, government policy makers, the media, alumni and friends, students, employees and business and philanthropic leaders.
The Public Information Manager serves as the University Public Information Officer (PIO), and is the key spokesperson to local, state and national media in all University matters. Leads the College’s public relations strategy, carrying out operating policies and procedures with a focus in the area of public relations, media relations, community relations, and communication programs, coordinating efforts for the greatest efficiency, impact, and strengthening of University communications.
• Manages media relations for the University, developing and implementing a strategic media relations campaign to ensure a positive public image for the University. Works with both traditional news media and “non-news” media, such as talk shows, advertorials and bloggers to obtain coverage for the University.
• Monitors and manages social media channels for University mentions and community engagement. Replies to posts raising questions or issues that need to be addressed and coordinates outbound social media postings with assigned authors.
• Plans external audience special events for the University, aggressively seeking opportunities to “make news” that generates coverage. Provides guidance and support to departments planning events and other public relations activities. Represents University administration at public relations strategy meetings with business and industry, education, other partners and with media outlets for shared promotional efforts. Represents University administration at public events, press conferences and meetings, and assists leaders with public appearances.
• Develops and disseminates public relations materials, including press releases, media packets, feature stories for the college website and magazine, social media content and internal communication pieces. Researches and helps develop communications and talking points for University leaders.
• Serves as the University’s public information officer and principal spokesperson to the public and the media. Maintains contact with Executive Officers and the President in matters relating to news media, public statements, crisis communications and public relations activities, representing University leadership to the news media. Serves as a key member of the University Crisis Preparedness and Management team, providing communications response during emergencies.
• Confers with department directors, committees, managers, and staff teams to provide public relations consultation. Develops related strategies and provides training on how to implement strategies.
• Participates in planning and allocating the departmental budget, which includes: monitoring spending, approving purchases, reallocating funds, and monitoring blanket purchase orders.
• Assists the VPEM with development and implementation of special projects.
• Establishes priorities for work assignments, monitors progress, reviews work products and ensures products are delivered in a timely manner.
• Represents the University at state, regional and national meetings related to the area of media and public relations.
• Be present in the office on a daily basis (unless arrangements are made with the employee’s direct supervisor.)
• Abide by NACAC and NACCAP Principles of Good Practice.
• Contribute to the support and implementation of the University Strategic Plan.
• Participate in Warner Pacific University professional development opportunities.
• Adhere to University policies and procedures.
• Demonstrate a commitment to a Christian liberal arts education by upholding the mission of the University and abiding by the Employment Standards and Lifestyle Agreement.
• Exhibits commitment to inclusiveness and sensitivity in areas of national origin, ethnicity, culture, gender, and disabilities.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree, required. Master’s degree, preferred.
• Ability to communicate effectively in English, required. Ability to also communicate effectively in Spanish, preferred;
• Knowledge of:
o Media and public relations principles and practices;
o Public information principles and practices;
o Supervisory principles;
o Budgeting principles and practices;
o University operations and administration principles and practices.
o Crisis planning and communications;
o Project management principles and practices;
o Social media principles and practices
• Demonstrated Skills in:
o Developing public relations strategies;
o Developing and maintaining relationships with members of the community, media, business and industry;
o “Pitching” story ideas and getting earned media;
o Planning and executing special events;
o Communicating effectively through oral and written mediums.
o Developing and monitoring budgets;
o Developing creative concepts and messages to achieve desired objectives and University branding;
o Facilitating meetings;
o Handling multiple tasks simultaneously;
o Managing projects;
o Working with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of students and staff;
o Communicating effectively with all levels of management, staff and external individuals and groups, including media representatives;
o Analyzing and interpreting data and information and making appropriate recommendations based on findings;
o Preparing a variety of written materials, including speeches, presentations, magazine and web articles; blog posts, news releases and media advisories.
o Utilizing computer technology for communication, data gathering and reporting activities.
• Trustworthy. Able to hold confidential and sensitive data.
Physical Demands - Work Environment:
Work is generally performed in an office environment with frequent interruptions and irregularities in the work schedule. Local travel is required as necessary. Working hours may vary and occasional evening and weekend work is required.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Warner Pacific provides equal opportunity for employment and advancement for all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, sex, gender, national origin, citizenship status, disability, age, genetic information, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status and any other status protected by laws and regulations to which Warner Pacific is subject. All employment decisions, including hiring, promotions, compensation, benefits, transfers, and terminations are made in a manner that does not discriminate against individuals in the categories discussed above. Because Warner Pacific is a Christian liberal arts University, the University exercises its legal right to hire Christian employees to fulfill its mission and purpose.
Commitment to Diversity:
Warner Pacific University is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and a multicultural learning environment. Inquiries are encouraged from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our University. Warner Pacific University is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks a diverse workforce of committed Christians from all racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds.
To Apply: In order to be considered an applicant for this position, please complete our online employment application at www.warnerpacific.edu/jobs. Click "Apply Now" to complete the online application, and submit the following:
2. Cover letter with names/contact information for three professional references