Post Date: 02/05/2019
Close Date: 03/08/2019
SUMMARY: The Payroll Coordinator/GL Accountant is responsible for processing bi-weekly payroll and other duties as may be directed by the Director of Accounting or Chief Financial Officer. The Payroll Coordinator/GL Accountant is also responsible for various General Ledger journal entries and reporting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Responsible for timely and accurate processing of bi-weekly payroll for three states (OR, WA, CA).
2. Maintains and updates employee payroll records for new hires, pay changes and terminations.
3. Reviews payroll data such as timesheets, withholding adjustments, and benefit expense deductions to ensure that data is accurate, properly documented and authorized.
4. Processes payroll adjustments and garnishments.
5. In collaboration with Human Resources, ensures compliance with established payroll policies and procedures as well as federal and state regulations.
6. Reconciles benefit invoices and 401(k) contributions.
7. Researches and resolves questions from managers and employees as they relate to the processing of payroll information.
8. Allocates benefit invoices to appropriate department accounts.
9. Records payroll transactions in general ledger.
10. Provides expertise in resolving errors and ensuring pay and GL is accurate.
11. Maintains employee confidentiality and protect payroll operations by keeping information confidential
General Ledger (30%)
1. Prepares and enters journal entries.
2. Prepares deposits of cash receipts.
3. Performs account lookups, reconciliations and reports.
4. Assists with accounts payable functions as needed.
5. Imports data into MIPS software.
1. Assists in the planning and implementation of changes in the accounting system as necessary or directed.
2. Makes recommendations to the Director of Accounting concerning payroll processes.
3. Works cooperatively with other Finance Department staff to accomplish related duties as needed or requested.
4. Builds and maintains effective working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization.
5. Participates regularly in personal professional development activities to maintain up to date knowledge of theory and practice.
6. Attends staff meetings and other designated meetings for the department and organization.
7. Performs other duties as assigned by Director of Accounting and/or Chief Financial Officer.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, individuals must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The person must believe in and be supportive of the mission of the Sisters of the Holy Names to promote justice and create community. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Associate’s degree or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience: Minimum three years’ experience as a payroll coordinator with general ledger experience, preferably in a not-for-profit organization.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
1. Must be supportive of the mission of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary.
2. Must model SNJM Guiding Values in carrying out work activities and responsibilities.
3. Possesses experience with integrated accounting programs, preferably MIP or comparable accounting software.
4. Experience with payroll systems, preferably Paychex
5. Working knowledge of wage and hour laws for OR, WA and CA.
6. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite. Intermediate Excel skills preferred.
7. Ability to perform accounting tasks with high degree of accuracy with detailed information.
8. Possesses strong verbal and written communication skills
9. Mathematical and problem-solving abilities.
10. Ability to track and manage a number of routine and non-routine tasks with thoroughness and timeliness.
11. Ability to use tact and good judgment in responding to a variety of personalities, and situations.
12. Ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously and to effectively prioritize in dealing with time constraints.
13. Demonstrates problem solving and organizational skills.
14. Possesses flexibility and the ability to work in a changing environment
15. Must be able to work effectively with minimal supervision, while keeping supervisor informed of progress on projects/assignments.
16. Demonstrates the ability to maintain confidentiality of departmental records.
17. Ability to proactively identify payroll issues and suggest solutions
18. Intermediate knowledge of Federal, State, and Local tax requirements
SNJM is committed to continually building a workplace that exemplifies its values and vision of being hospitable to everyone. The Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary (SNJM) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including medical/dental, group life and disability coverage, a 401K plan, and paid time off.
To learn more about the mission and vision of the Sisters of the Holy Names visit: www.snjmusontario.org
To Apply: In order to be considered an applicant for this position, please complete our online employment application at https://snjm.catsone.com/careers. Click “Apply Now” to complete and submit the online application