Post Date: 12/03/2018
Close Date: 12/14/2018
Desktop Support 2 or 3
Information Services; Portland, OR
Posting # 50276664
November 30, 2018
At NW Natural, we like to say, “We grew up here.” We’ve been an energy supplier and community leader since 1859. Some of our neighbors know us through our philanthropy and volunteer programs and innovative approaches to carbon reduction.
Our customers know us because of the clean, safe, efficient, and low-cost natural gas we provide. We are a service-oriented utility, with a “Best in the West” customer satisfaction ranking.
If you share our core values – integrity, safety, service ethic, caring and environmental stewardship – we invite you to apply to NW Natural.
Serves as a member of the Information Technology & Services teams that provides technical leadership and configures, installs, troubleshoots, and administers computer hardware, associated peripherals, operating systems, communications protocols and application software used by NW Natural computer users, including back office, mobile and field systems.
Day to Day:
• Designs, develops, and manages configurations for each uniquely deployed hardware/software combination.
• Provides direct support to computer users including center and job-site visits to facilitate communications and identify opportunities for technology improvements.
• Configures, installs, and maintains desktop hardware, software and related peripherals. Takes a lead role in the technical aspects of workstation troubleshooting, maintenance, deployment of new releases and upgrades.
• Takes initiative to determine cause(s) of hardware and software failure(s) including non-routine or nonrecurring problems, using intuitive problem solving skills, research on the Internet and vendor provided technical support. To the extent a problem recurs, develops and recommends procedures for addressing those ongoing problems.
• Provides data recovery as required/possible when standard backup/recovery procedures have not been used. Ongoing research to stay abreast of desktop technology changes, security issues, maintenance tools, etc. to support continuous process improvement for desktop support.
• Coordinates and schedules, at user's convenience, all hardware replacements/repairs. When applicable, coordinates interface with external maintenance vendors. Coordinates with other Information Services and Communications and Electronics staff to provide for complete and accurate installation of desktop hardware, application software, and network communications.
• Ensures customer satisfaction through timely response to all assigned Service Desk requests. Prioritizes work requests received from Service Desk, including negotiating completion dates with users. Serves as a team member and/or lead on technology deployment projects. Constant follow-up with customers to ensure that processes are functioning within their scope.
• Directs and guides work of contract and/or temporary technical support as needed. Follow-up with users to ensure their satisfaction.
• Provides for accuracy of technology inventory by developing and using procedures to ensure timely updates of inventory database.
• Responds to special projects and tasks as assigned to support the department and company goals, including being available during non-business hours as needed to support problem resolution and project implementation. Thorough knowledge of how the works flows through the company.
• Responsible for security and physical control of hardware/software during installations and/or repairs. Assist with the physical inventory review.
• Operates company vehicle in compliance with state/local laws and company policies and procedures.
• Logs all incidents, problems and support requests reported to the Service Desk using the call management system [Remedy Action Request System (ARS)].
• Receives ongoing instruction on analyzing problems, procedures and identifying and communicating resolutions to Service Desk customers.
• Whenever immediate problem resolution cannot be provided, performs needs/problem analysis through effective questioning of the customer and records in ARS the request symptoms and status information.
• Assigns an appropriate priority to the request.
• Assigns the request to appropriate IS/NWN/external support person(s) in a timely manner, resulting in effective utilization of IS/NWN support resources.
• Initiates request escalation as appropriate to ensure management awareness of problems that are severe in nature or that are exceeding documented/scheduled targets.
• Analyzes logged request data and provides Help Desk team members with information that will facilitate problem elimination.
• Participates in ongoing enhancements to the design and implementation of the call management system and the Service Desk request resolution processes.
• Supports Company’s commitment to a culture of safe work practices.
• Other duties as assigned by management.
Come on your first day with:
• Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience resulting in proven systems skills.
• Minimum of 3 years recent experience supporting desktop technologies in a networked environment is required for Level 2. 5+ years of experience required for Level 3.
• Must have an understanding of request/call process management.
• Requires a strong dedication to quality customer service.
• General skills, including, but not limited to: Strong verbal and written interpersonal and communication skills; superior telephone etiquette and the ability to deal effectively with customers, peers, vendors and management; strong problem-solving; good initiative and assertiveness; ability to organize/prioritize work effectively; and ability to work in an environment with conflicting priorities.
• Strong knowledge of Intel-based PC's, Hewlett Packard/Dell/Xerox printers/workcenters, Microsoft Operating Systems, and MS Office application software is essential. A thorough understanding of TCP/IP, LAN/WAN, WIFI and wireless networks, and 2- and 3-tier client/server concepts is also required.
• Experience with Mobile Device Management (MDM) and/or SCCM preferred.
• Must have advanced training or equivalent experience in identifying and resolving hardware, software, and network communications problems.
• Requires a strong dedication to quality customer services.
• Must be able to work under general direction, independent of immediate supervision, using independent judgment to perform job functions.
• Strong problem solving and decision making skills, excellent interpersonal skills to handle dissatisfied customers, good time management including the ability to organize and prioritize work, and ability to manage short time lines and conflicting priorities.
• ITIL Foundations certified or must successfully complete within 90 days of hire date.
• May be required to respond to hardware/software problems during non-standard business hours.
• May be required to travel so must possess/maintain a valid Oregon/Washington driver's license and a satisfactory driving record. Must obtain a valid Oregon/Washington driver's license within 90 days if current valid license is from another state.
What we offer:
• Arguably the most competitive healthcare and wellness benefits in the Pacific Northwest
• Meaningful Annual Incentive Bonus Opportunity in addition to base salary
• 401(k) with generous match and additional 5% employer contribution
• Company provided Trimet or C-Tran passes/Bike storage for cyclists
• Green Team/Diversity & Inclusion Council/Safety Team/Women’s Network
• Numerous volunteer and community engagement opportunities
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan with a 15% discount
• 20% Employee discount on Natural Gas
• Generous Vacation/Sick leave program
• 7 Paid Holidays and up to 3 floating holidays to add an extra paid day off to Holidays Observed by NW Natural
• Flexible work schedule opportunities
Expected Salary Range:
Min. $61,350 – (*$67,650 to $84,900) – Max. $88,950 or
Min. $67,000 – (*$73,850 to $92,700) – Max. $97,150
*Expected hiring range
Application Process: To be considered for this position, submit a complete electronic application including a cover letter and a resume. Applications will be reviewed once application deadline has passed.
Deadline: December 14, 2018
At NW Natural we are committed to fair compensation, pay equity and equal opportunity for advancement in the workplace. Salaries are determined based on a combination of education, experience, skills, performance and internal equity to similar roles within our organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, disability, or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Complete details: https://www.nwnatural.com/Careers/JobOpportunities