Post Date: 10/15/2019
Close Date: 11/11/2019
Portland YouthBuilders (PYB) is a two year alternative high school and job training program with the mission to support low-income young adults, ages 17-24, who are committed to changing their lives to become self-sufficient, contributing members of the workforce and their community. At PYB, students complete high school with a GED or diploma and develop marketable employment skills by learning to build affordable housing from the ground up or learning to refurbish computers and teach basic technology classes in the community.
PYB is deeply committed to continuously working to make our organization a more equitable and just place for both students and staff. As it is written in our equity statement: At PYB, we believe that communities are strengthened when diversity is honored. We believe we have a responsibility to interrupt and confront inequity. At PYB, we commit to continuously reflect and challenge the ways in which we, as a community, and as individuals, perpetuate inequity. It is not only vital to our students’ success but essential to our purpose.
The Admissions Coordinator will coordinate a team of interdepartmental staff conducting community outreach and recruitment strategies. They will support young people through the application process to ensure the program is at full enrollment and eligible young people in the community are aware of this educational opportunity.
PYB seeks an Admissions Coordinator who is passionate about changing the lives of low-income, highly-barriered young people. PYB is looking for someone who is creative, enthusiastic, a strong communicator, enjoys being out in the community and is experienced working with a diverse clientele. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Reports To: Equity & Admissions Manager
Schedule: 40 hours per week (1.0 FTE)
Position Starts: Upon successful recruitment of applicant
Compensation: Full-time salary range of $46,000 - $52,000/year
Employment Status: Full-time, Regular, Exempt
Benefits: Seven weeks paid vacation- prorated in first year based on length of service; most state recognized holidays paid, plus 1 personal day per month; $650 per month contribution to cafeteria plan for health care benefits and/or retirement savings; Life & Long-Term Disability insurance; dynamic environment with great team of students and staff.
SUMMARY OF BROAD AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
• Primarily support young people through the application process including but not limited to:
*leading weekly informational sessions
*assess applicants’ eligibility and fit for the program and for numerous funding contracts
*gathering documentation and filing documentation
*communicate with applicants and their supports regarding admission needs and deadlines
* communicate with referring school districts
*provide individualized assistance and screening with applicants
*coordinate with other PYB departments
*maintain detailed applicant files and database
*maintain/create/optimize systems for data collection
*administer educational testing
*support applicants during orientation process
• Design and Manage a comprehensive interdisciplinary community outreach strategy to attract an adequate pool of eligible program applicants including:
* innovative marketing strategies to increase awareness of program
*increase and maintain visibility of our program within communities we serve
*create, maintain and expand partnerships with referral organizations
QUALIFYING KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
• Ability to inspire and motivate young people
• Bachelor’s degree preferred; equivalent experience welcomed
• Excellent organizational skills, multi-tasking abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to improvise and work through uncertainties
• Detail oriented
• Ability to create and optimize systems
• Clear communication skills
• Capacity to collaborate with colleagues
• Valid Oregon Driver’s License and strong driving record (position includes local travel for outreach activities)
• Bilingual preferred
• Previous experience in alternative/public education preferred
• Ability to pass a criminal background check and drug test
• Experience working on interdisciplinary committees with a focus on equity
• Demonstrated experience, competency, and commitment to serving a diverse population
• Demonstrated experience in designing and implementing creative/innovative marketing strategies
• Demonstrated experience in community outreach and recruitment
• Demonstrated experience in networking and/or developing community partnerships
To apply: email resume and cover letter to Rana Uzzaman, Equity & Admissions Manager email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed as they arrive until the position is filled. Please send your cover letter and resume as attachments (Word or PDF). No phone calls or visits please. For more information, visit our website at www.pybpdx.org.
Portland YouthBuilders’ mission connects us to people and communities across Portland. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, disability, veteran status, or any other classifications applicable by law. Portland YouthBuilders is committed to the diversity of our people, programs and services. The organization acts affirmatively in the employment and advancement of qualified people of color. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. TTY1-800-735-2900
PYB employees must successfully complete a criminal background and drug test check prior to employment. Portland YouthBuilders is a Drug Free Workplace and adheres to the requirements of the Drug Free Workplace Act. Portland YouthBuilders’ students and staff are subject to random drug tests.
o This program is funded 28% through a Federal award of $1.1 million from the U.S. Department of Labor – ETA for the YouthBuild Program Initiative.
o This program financed in whole (or in part) with funds provided through Worksystems, Inc. from the U.S. Department of Labor.
o PYB is an AmeriCorps program and students who are AmeriCorps members are eligible for an education award.
Complete details: http://pybpdx.org/about/career-opportunities