Post Date: 04/30/2019
Close Date: 05/31/2019
Police Officer – Entry Level
Salary Range: $5,384 to $6,781 per month.
Starting salary is dependent upon qualifications, plus full benefits package.
The Police Department is currently recruiting for Entry Level Police Officer. The Police Officer position is covered under the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement.
Hiring a workforce that reflects the diverse community we serve is essential to delivering exceptional City services and programs. The City of Hillsboro is committed to creating and supporting an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees to thrive. We value, respect, and empower employees as unique individuals with authentic voices and diverse ideas.
The Police Department is recruiting for Police Officer Entry Level utilizing the National Testing Network (NTN) as the first step in the hiring process. (Please see below for NTN directions.)
General Description of Duties
A professional, sworn position that performs law enforcement and crime prevention work including patrol and investigation; apprehension of criminals, preservation of peace and protection of life and property; enforces Federal, State and local laws; practices the principles of Community Policing; does related work as required.
Experience and Training
• High school diploma or equivalent, supplemented by college-level coursework;
• Some experience in law enforcement, military or other fields (for example, psychology, social service, customer service) that demonstrates desired knowledge, skills and abilities; OR
Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the work will be considered.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
• Be at least 21 years of age by the date of appointment;
• Possess or be able to obtain a valid State of Oregon Driver's License;
• Have a safe driving record;
• Be a United States citizen at time of appointment;
• Be able to possess a Basic certificate from the Department of Public Safety Standards and Training (DPSST) within 12 months of employment;
• Be in good physical and mental health as determined by a medical and psychological examination;
• Must pass an extensive background investigation and be free of felony conviction.
Eligible persons who are qualified and interested in applying for the position must follow the selection process instructions listed below. If you have any questions regarding the information in this announcement, please contact Tina Sahnow, Human Resources Analyst at extension 6450.
City of Hillsboro application and National Testing Network Directions:
Step 1 - Eligible persons who are qualified and interested in applying for the positions must login and sign-up with the www.nationaltestingnetwork.com. Select Police Officer and sign up for City of Hillsboro Police Department.
Step 2 - Schedule and pass the written exam with the National Testing Network. Minimum passing score for NTN is: Video 65%, Writing 70% and Reading 70%. (Test must be completed prior to submitting application). National Testing Network (NTN) help desk: 866-563-3882, 8am – 5 pm, PST.
Step 3 - There are several ways to apply for employment with the City of Hillsboro:
• Visit Hillsboro-Oregon.gov/jobs and apply online through our available link.
• Download and print the pdf Application Packet (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader) from our website.
• Pick up application materials from the City of Hillsboro Human Resources Department, 150 E Main St. Floor 2, Hillsboro, OR 97123. Office hours are Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Step 4 – Applicants who successfully complete the NTN exam will be invited to participate in the Oregon Physical Agility Test (ORPAT). (If candidate has taken the ORPAT and passed within 12 months of the closing date, they will not need to retest. Test scores can be submitted with application) The City of Hillsboro will review the applications of those who pass the ORPAT. Applications will be evaluated based on minimum and required work experience, training and skills presented in the employment application. Selected candidates will be invited to participate in other stages of the selection process including oral board interview, extensive background investigation, and Executive Staff interview. All applicants will be notified in writing of the final status of their application.
Step 5 – Any candidate who receives a conditional offer of employment will be subject to passing a pre-employment physical and psychological evaluation.
Employment applications must be completed online or returned by mail, fax or in person by the closing deadline of the position. Applications received after the filing deadline, by email or without a resume and supplemental responses will not be considered. Resumes will not substitute for the employment application. Applications may be submitted by fax to meet the application deadline.
Complete details: www.hillsboro-oregon.gov