Post Date: 01/14/2020
Close Date: 02/14/2020
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues is a social services agency working in partnership with the Portland area community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 21st year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people experience health, wellbeing, and a self-determined home. We understand that racism, poverty, and experiences of oppression lead to social injustice and housing instability for youth. Due to current and historical exploitation and racism, youth of color are disproportionally impacted. In order to advance equity at New Avenues and fulfill our mission, we must address how privilege has shaped our organizational culture, policies, and practices.
New Avenues believes equity is an ongoing commitment without closure; in taking risks, we will learn from our mistakes. We will listen to and learn from young people’s lived experiences. We will seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to simplify or silence hard truths. We make these commitments because we believe in social justice and the inherent human dignity of each individual.
Serve as both a My Life and Life Skills Coach provide case management, skill development, resource brokerage and referral, case coordination and advocacy services to former and current youth in care ages 16-21. Coaches will typically carry a caseload of 2 youth with more intensive service needs (My Life-enrolled youth) and approximately 18 general ILP youth. For the My Life-enrolled caseload, implement and complete My Life coaching intervention for the youth being served. Work to support transition-age youth to develop and strengthen their self-determination and connection to community allies in an effort to prepare them for better outcomes when they transition from foster care. For all youth in our programs, maintain an emphasis on enhancing social capital and building internal assets, working closely with the team to pilot a tiered model for transition-based services for youth preparing to exit foster care.
This position requires the reimbursable use of a personal vehicle for transporting self and clients for work purposes.
The rate of pay for this position is $16.35 to $18.27 per hour depending on experience.
Skills and Knowledge:
• Ability to provide support and guidance to help youth expand work readiness skills, post-secondary readiness, and transitional life skills and accomplish identified goals.
• Knowhow to utilize traditional and non-traditional methods of education to engage youth in the program and identify school, work and life related goals and plans.
• Ability to administer range of assessments to determine youth’s current skills and areas of growth.
• Desire to work with multi-cultural staff and youth
• Must be willing to successfully complete My Life curriculum training and certification over the course of 9-12 months*
*My Life certification is awarded to staff once coach has completed 9-12 months of My Life curriculum with at least two youth and received 1:1 and group supervision throughout.
Education and Experience:
• A Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology or related human services field or combination of a lived personal experience in foster care and work experience. Will consider lived experience in substitute of years of Education. Masters level preferred.
• At least 2 years of experience working with youth who face multiple barriers
• Basic working knowledge of the foster care system
New Avenues for Youth offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, visit our website at http://www.newavenues.org/contact-us/employment-opportunities to submit your cover letter and resume. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity with your submission. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Complete details: https://newavenues.org/about-us/employment-opportunities