Post Date: 12/23/2019
Close Date: 01/24/2020
Job Posting: HP#2020-75
Position: Public Management Fellow
Department: Human Resources
$54,354 Annual Salary
12-Month (July 2020 – June 2021) – Limited Duration
Full-time, non-exempt position with benefits.
Close: January 24, 2020
Persons who are not current City of Hillsboro employees are welcome to apply through our online application process found here: www.Hillsboro-Oregon.gov/Jobs. Email applications will not be accepted for external applicants.
Hiring a workforce that reflects the diverse community we serve is essential to delivering exceptional City services and programs. The City of Hillsboro is committed to creating and supporting an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees to thrive. We value, respect, and empower employees as unique individuals with authentic voices and diverse ideas.
The Public Management Fellowship is an exciting 12-month opportunity designed to provide the skills necessary to become effective leaders in local government.
While this position will be primarily responsible for research and analytics, this is also a very social position in which the connections you make with internal and external stakeholders will further develop your professional portfolio. This rotational position offers exposure to different departments allowing fellows to grow their network and further develop technical skills in different fields.
Fellows will work on high-level projects and frequently interact with different leaders across the City. This is a position where you will gain valuable experience working on hot button issues that are facing local government today.
General Statement of Duties
The principal function of an employee in this class is to provide advisory, analytical and administrative professional services in support of department and city-wide programs and projects. Incumbents, as assigned, may be responsible for performing policy research and recommendations; preparing information and/or supporting documents for meetings or projects; writing policy analysis and reports; maintaining databases; providing technical assistance; facilitating internal and/or external working groups; and researching policies and evaluating potential benefits for the City.
• This class specification represents only the core areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the needs of the department.
• Participates in specialized project teams to develop new polices and initiatives for the City. Coordinates programs and may serve as liaison with third party administrators in support of programs.
• Receives and responds to internal and external customer inquiries and information requests. Researches, analyzes, troubleshoots, and provides information and support related to functional area of assignment.
• Assists in formulating, implementing, and administering special department projects, such as preparation of annual reports, strategic plans, performing records research and management, and developing and coordinating quality management programs.
• Coordinates, monitors and responds to complex information and policy research requests; researches related data and information; explains and interprets information related to processes and procedures and prepares reports for distribution.
• Provides City representation and liaison services for a variety of meetings, advisory groups, boards, committees, agencies, councils, and/or other related groups.
• Researches and analyzes data, information records and/or trends; prepares and completes reports, surveys, budget-related and/or technical documents; provides recommendations for improved processes and procedures.
Acceptable Experience and Training
Master's degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Public Affairs or related field from a four-year college or university program. At minimum, six months of related work experience in government, policy, finance, public affairs, or legislation.
Depending on assignment, some positions may require:
• Possession of a valid State Driver’s License and safe driving record.