Post Date: 08/30/2019
Close Date: 10/31/2019
POSITION: Dean, College of Graduate Studies
DEPARTMENT: Academic Affairs
REPORTS TO: Vice President for Academic Affairs
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt, benefited
The dean of the college of graduate studies is responsible for the oversight, strategy, management and leadership of the academic and administrative operations of the College of Graduate Studies. The dean provides oversight for all graduate education programs and pre-courses to ensure delivery of both existing and new programs are of high quality and align with the university mission and core themes. The dean ensures the instructional design utilized in programs and courses results in student success in attainment of learning outcomes. The dean ensures graduate programs align with programmatic and regional accreditation standards. The dean assists in review of current program performance and the design, development, and implementation of new academic programs. The dean recommends new processes and policy as needed to assure excellence in education. The dean provides support, guidance and mentoring to program directors. The dean ensures all faculty and staff members involved with delivery of courses are well prepared to perform their duties, and follow institutional policies and procedures. The dean works closely with the vice president for academic affairs and members of the administration.
The dean reports to the vice president for academic affairs and provides oversight for the following personnel:
• Director, Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine
• Director, Sports Medicine
• Director, Sport and Performance Psychology
• Director, Clinical Mental Health Counseling
• Academic Support Specialist, College of Graduate Studies
The Dean will be a proven leader who is responsible to:
• Advance the mission, core themes, vision, values and strategic priorities of University of Western States through the College of Graduate Studies.
• Develop strategic and academic planning initiatives for deliberate, intentional and integrated growth in graduate programs.
• Supervise, manage, and mentor program directors, faculty, and academic support personnel.
• Ensure timely recruitment, training, and evaluation of qualified faculty members for graduate programs.
• Establish and provide pro-active administrative leadership for the continuous quality improvement of existing academic programs, and direction in the development of new academic programs to meet the immediate, and long-term vision of the university.
• Collaborate with the department of marketing to develop innovative ideas for promoting graduate programs on the university website as well external channels.
• Enhance academic quality regarding educational effectiveness, student learning outcomes, assessment and retention.
• Work closely with the office of academic affairs in developing new graduate programs/courses.
• Work with the office of academic affairs on issues of accreditation for academic programs, including substantive changes and report writing.
• Identify risks to the organization within the department and develop risk reduction options working within the processes of university risk management.
• Collect, synthesize, and analyze program evaluation/assessment data for the graduate programs for continuous improvement and as required for accreditation and requested by the vice president for academic affairs.
• Provide leadership for accreditation self-study reports, institutional assessment reports, and other operational and strategic reports for the graduate programs.
• Lead program directors in the planning, implementation, and continuous improvement of new and existing distance learning programs/courses.
• Explore and develop collaborative relationships with other institutions that result in opportunities for the university to provide programs/courses in collaboration with those institutions, and to develop articulation agreements with those institutions.
• Ensure compliance with institutional policies and procedures among the faculty and staff members within the college.
• Fulfill other responsibilities, as assigned by the vice president for academic affairs.
• Provide leadership in the annual budget development process for assigned units.
• Prepare and submit an annual budget for each program.
• Plan for long-term capital and operational resource needs; manage and monitor budgets on an ongoing basis.
• Work with the chief financial officer and vice president for academic affairs on program growth and sustainability
• Identify and implement changes for improved financial sustainability.
• Partner with the chief financial officer and the associate vice president for institutional effectiveness on developing proformas for new programs.
QUALIFICATIONS: (Knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform job.)
• Five or more years of academic leadership in higher education and a proven track record of management within an organization with long-term strategic growth initiatives.
• Three or more years of leadership experience at associate dean or dean level, or an equivalent position at a college or university.
• Demonstrated successful experience managing multiple programs and program directors/leaders.
• Experience working with adult-learners enrolled in online and/or hybrid programs.
• Skills in curriculum planning, student learning assessment, and program evaluation.
• Five or more years of significant successful experience of team management, collaborating with administration, and leading faculty and staff hires.
• Demonstrated sound and effective decision-making skills.
• Significant successful experience with online education and diverse platforms for the adult learners.
• Knowledge of regulations related to higher education and online education.
• Demonstrated proficiency in developing and managing budgets.
• Motivation and ability to leverage institutional and industry data to predict and plan strategically.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Exemplary project management skills.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and manage a high-performance team focused on accountability and clear expectations.
• Effective analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to exercise professional judgment and assume responsibility for decisions.
• Proven ability to work well under pressure and with impending deadlines and managing multiple projects.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize/execute plans and resource management to achieve desired outcomes. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Experience in dealing with legal and regulatory matters related to educational administration.
• Working knowledge of FERPA student privacy regulations.
• Familiarity with conventional, integrative, complementary and alternative medicine disciplines.
• Ability to work with diverse stakeholders.
REQUIREMENTS: (Education, Training and Experience)
• A doctoral degree (PhD, EdD, MD, ND, DC) from a regionally accredited college or university.
• Minimum five years of progressively increasing experience in an administrative/leadership position including extensive supervisory and program management experience.
• Experience in developing course or degree articulation programs with other programs and institutions.
• Experience with budget development and management.
• Experience in managing student concerns and oversight of general student services.
• Working understanding and experience with learning management systems.
• Experience with higher education accreditation standards and compliance analysis. Previous experience with self-study reports, accreditation evaluation team membership and/or accreditation committee membership.
• Awareness of, and ability to carry out, university policies including federal privacy and confidentiality requirements under FERPA and HIPAA.
• Self-sufficiency in the management of personal schedule, word-processing and document/report preparation adhering to institutional editorial guidelines.
• Intermediate-to-advanced computer skills required (MS Office Outlook, Word, Excel, SharePoint, Adobe Acrobat Professional).
• Ability to gain proficiency with job-related queries/functions within the academic information system (AIS) and use of other specialty software.
APPLICATION, SCREENING AND HIRING PROCESS:
Screening of applicants will begin after October 20, 2019 and the position will remain open until filled. Please submit a letter of application, a curriculum vitae and names and contact information of three professional references. Official transcripts from prior institutions of higher learning must be received prior to offer being extended to the finalist.
University of Western States conducts background checks for the finalist or finalists of staff and faculty positions. The type of background check will vary by position type.
University of Western States is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please visit our website and click the big orange button: https://www.uws.edu/about/employment/
You may attach your materials as Word or PDF documents.
Complete details: https://www.uws.edu/about/employment/