Post Date: 06/01/2018
Close Date: 12/31/2018
Field Telemetry Engineering 2 or 3
Information Technology; Portland, OR 97209
Posting # 50263422
June 1, 2018
At NW Natural, we like to say, “We grew up here.” We’ve been an energy supplier and community leader since 1859.
Some of our neighbors know us through our philanthropy and volunteer programs and innovative approaches to carbon reduction.
Our customers know us because of the clean, safe, efficient, and low-cost natural gas we provide.
We are a service-oriented utility, with a “Best in the West” customer satisfaction ranking.
If you share our core values – integrity, safety, service ethic, caring and environmental stewardship – we invite you to apply to NW Natural.
Engineers, designs, programs, tests and commissions field instrumentation, pipeline control systems, and telemetry in support of gas control operations. Works closely with pipeline engineering department, gas control, SCADA development team, and instrumentation technicians. Responsible for engineering, planning, organizing and implementing field SCADA instrumentation and telemetry for select/limited scope installations, and assists in the field commissioning of new and/or improved pipeline controls with cross department team members.
Day to Day:
• Leads engineering design, writing, testing and commissioning of RTU and PLC control systems programming software and firmware, including integration of RTU and PLC systems with upstream HMI drivers and systems.
• Assists in the development of engineering studies, plans, specifications, calculations, evaluations, design documents, and performance assessments associated with the planning, design, licensing, construction, operation, and maintenance of company SCADA systems used for the monitoring and control of gas control operations.
• Participates in engineering design, testing and commissioning of field instrumentation and pipeline control systems.
• Performs engineering tasks using established procedures, including but not limited to, field transducer and equipment selection, schematic design, system layout, cost estimation, permitting and system documentation.
• Participates in telemetry and SCADA project planning, scheduling and budgeting based upon project commissioning and start-up schedules.
• Contributes to the accuracy and reliability of instrumentation, SCADA, pipeline control and safety of systems.
• Generates system architecture and piping and instrumentation design and field network drawings as directed.
• Participates in architecture decisions affecting SCADA instrumentation and controls.
• Assists in system testing and troubleshooting of instrumentation and control systems to resolve scheduled and unscheduled outages.
• Works closely with company personnel to optimize instrumentation and pipeline control efficiency and reliability.
• Contributes standardized field documentation, and assists in creating instrumentation design as-builts and provides engineering support services to field technicians.
• Position requires frequent field site visits throughout the NW Natural operational region to assist in on-site instrumentation engineering, commissioning and troubleshooting.
• Position requires the ability and willingness to be available for on-call response, and off-hours site commissioning or upgrade activities.
• Supports Company’s commitment to a culture of safe work practices.
Come on your first day with:
• BS in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university, with specialty in Telemetry Control Systems and PLC/RTU programming, or related field. FE or PE certification preferred.
• Minimum of 3 years working experience in similar position required for Level 2. Additional years of experience for Level 3.
• Current programming proficiency in Rockwell ControlLogix and CompactLogix platforms required, FactoryTalk, and PlantPAx experience preferred.
• Current experience integrating in Rockwell ControlLogix and CompactLogix platforms with non-Rockwell HMI systems (GE-iFIX) preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to read and understand schematic diagrams, P&ID prints, blue prints and control systems loop diagrams.
• Must have working knowledge of a wide variety of transducers and equipment related to control and instrumentation.
• Proven ability to effectively manage priorities while working with various types of people.
• Self-motivated and self-directed with good communications and collaboration skills.
• Demonstrated strong oral, written, and presentation skills, including the ability to explain complex technological concepts to a non-technical audience.
• Proven ability to organize/prioritize workload effectively and manage conflicting priorities.
• Demonstrated ability to learn very quickly and adapt to any situation that might arise.
• Proven ability to function in a highly cohesive team environment to achieve department goals and to act collaboratively to accomplish responsibilities.
• Demonstrated ability to interact with employees at all organizational levels, including the ability to work in partnership with departmental and process managers in a union environment.
• Requires travel within NWN service territory and frequent field work.
• Requires evening and weekend work hours to accommodate resolution of system outages and scheduled maintenance.
• ITIL Foundations certified or must successfully complete within 90 days of hire date.
• Possess and maintain a valid driver's license and satisfactory driving record. Must obtain a valid Oregon/Washington driver's license within 90 days if current valid license is from another state.
What we offer:
Arguably the most competitive healthcare and wellness benefits in the Pacific Northwest
Meaningful Annual Incentive Bonus Opportunity in addition to base salary
401(k) with generous match and additional 5% employer contribution
Company provided Trimet or C-Tran passes/Bike storage for cyclists
Green Team/Diversity & Inclusion Council/Safety Team/Women’s Network
Numerous volunteer and community engagement opportunities
Employee Stock Purchase Plan with a 15% discount
20% Employee discount on Natural Gas
Generous Vacation/Sick leave program
7 Paid Holidays and up to 3 floating holidays to add an extra paid day off to Holidays Observed by NW Natural
Flexible work schedule opportunities
Base salary Range– Min. $72,950 (*$80,400 to $100,950) Max. $105,800 (Level 2) or $91,500 (*$100,900 to $126,650) Max $132,700 (Level 3) *Expected Hiring Range
Application Process: To be considered for this position, submit a complete electronic application including a cover letter and a resume.
Applications will be reviewed once application deadline has passed.
Deadline: Open until filled
At NW Natural we are committed to fair compensation, pay equity and equal opportunity for advancement in the workplace. Salaries are determined based on a combination of education, experience, skills, performance and internal equity to similar roles within our organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, disability, or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Complete details: https://www.nwnatural.com/Careers/JobOpportunities