Post Date: 07/03/2019
Close Date: 07/31/2019
POSITION TITLE: Office Coordinator
POSITION REFERENCE: 2019-15
PROGRAM: Open School East
REPORTS TO: Head of School
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
REGULAR/TEMPORARY: 40 hours per week
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $15.23 - $16.91 per hour (Depending on Experience)
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
The mission of Open School is to develop connection, capability, and confidence in disconnected youth through relationship-based, quality learning experiences that result in their academic, personal, and community success. We encourage you to explore our website at www.openschoolnw.org.
At Open School we recognize that there is an historic and persistent achievement gap between white students and students of color; closing that achievement gap while raising the achievement of all students is a top priority of our organization. Race must cease to be a reliable predictor of students’ achievement and success. In order to achieve this goal, we are committed to creating and fostering racial diversity at every level of our organization including but not limited to staff, students, and leadership.
Open School East is a partnership between Open School, Centennial School District, David Douglas School District, Gresham Barlow School District, Parkrose School District, Reynolds School District and Portland Public Schools. Over 80% of our students are low-income, and over 60% are youth of color. All teachers and staff at Open School are committed to developing strong relationships with students, to know them individuals, and to advocate for their success in middle school, high school and in their post-secondary endeavors. Teaching at Open School must be relationship-based and culturally responsive.
Open School believes that each staff member makes a significant contribution to its success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities outlined below. This position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job conditions, but not limit the staff person nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each staff member will offer his/her services and ideas wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
Please email a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com. Please reference position number 2019-15 in the subject line.
The Office Coordinator is the first point of contact for Open School East students, families and visitors, providing customer service and coordination. The coordinator is responsible for keeping East's office, copy room and shared spaces running smoothly, providing administrative assistance to the Principal, as well as providing overall administrative support to the staff. In addition to maintaining the office, they are responsible for scheduling shared spaces, ensuring a clean and well-organized environment in all shared spaces, maintaining office equipment and working with staff to ensure a smooth, respected, high efficiency environment.
• Greet guests and visitors and help with inquiries
• Serve as the main contact point for the office and provide multifaceted office support
• Coordinate between teams in resolving day-to-day administrative and operational problems
• Coordinate and manage organizational calendars
• Operate and manage maintenance of a range of office machines such as photocopiers, computers, telephones, projectors, iPhones
• Maintain inventory of office and building supplies and order as needed and while keeping track of supply budget
• Serve as primary liaison with operations management team on facility needs
• Monitor routing of incoming organizational telephone communications
• Manage routing of incoming and outgoing organizational mail
• Procure and distribute organizational bus passes
• Assist the Principal with varying aspects of administrative needs and other daily operations
• Participates in the administration of the Principal’s office; recommend organizational or procedural changes affecting support activities.
• Initiate and maintain a variety of files and records for information related to the Principal’s office; maintain manuals and update resource materials.
• Provides historical reference by developing and utilizing filing and retrieval systems
• Reconcile Principal’s credit card monthly
• Schedule meetings on the Principal’s behalf with parent/guardian(s), community partners, and district representatives
Skills & Knowledge
• Engage in Open School's equity and anti-racist work at the full staff, program-specific, and individual professional level
• Apply an equity lens to work with staff, families, volunteers, donors, and community partners
• Demonstrate strong administrative skills and attention to detail.
• Demonstrate a strong customer-service ethic.
• Maintain complete confidentiality of sensitive information.
• Be able to work independently, manage multiple priorities and solve problems expeditiously.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Exceptional proficiency with Windows-based Microsoft Office Suite
• Up-to-date knowledge of office technology
• Maintain a valid Oregon driver’s license
• Have access to a car for work-related driving.
• Be able to lift 50 pounds and perform basic handy-person tasks, such as assembling and arranging office furniture.
Education & Experience
Excellent relational skills and ability to be collaborative and work with a diverse population to solve problems and provide high quality customer service.
• Agree that a commitment to equity and inclusion is fundamental to a healthy community
• Experience working with under-served and multi-cultural youth in an educational setting
• Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office 365, Windows 7 through 10
• Ability to plan, prioritize, organize, and work well under pressure and have strong attention to detail and accuracy
• Ability to meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work as part of a team in stressful situations; maintain composure and sense of humor in the face of heavy workload and constant interruptions
• Ability to quickly gain new skills and knowledge when faced with new challenges
• Support a diverse and inclusive environment where all people feel welcomed
• Bring a social justice lens to aspects of the job, internally and externally
• Ability to work well under own initiative and as an integral member of the team
• Effective & inclusive, relational problem-solving, and relational process-improvement skills are essential
Complete details: https://openschoolnw.org/careers/job-openings/office-coordinator/298