Post Date: 01/07/2019
Close Date: 02/07/2019
Job Title: Office Coordinator – Bilingual Spanish/English (Powell & Annex)
Reports to: Office Manager/Executive Assistant
Hours: Full-time, Non-Exempt, M-F 8am to 5pm (business hours).
Compensation: Starting salary: $15.30 – $16.65 per hour plus paid holidays, personal leave, medical, dental, AD&D, short and long-term disability insurance.
Status: Non-exempt from wage and hour laws
Location: Outer SE Portland
Want to help make a difference? For 30 years, Human Solutions has been working to break the cycle of intergenerational poverty by empowering families and helping them build pathways out of poverty. Our comprehensive programs give people the skills and resources they need to be successful. Our programs include services for homeless families, eviction prevention, supportive services, employment services, energy assistance, and the development and operation of affordable housing.
Diversity, inclusion and equity are fundamental values for Human Solutions, both internally and externally. HSI has a Diversity Committee, which serves as a sounding board for new internal policies and procedures to make sure that we’re taking into account diversity and inclusion. It also helps with diversity-related projects, such as coordinating staff diversity trainings and providing ongoing input into our equity planning.
Human Solutions is working to end homelessness and poverty in our community because everyone deserves a safe place to call home.
What Human Solutions Can Offer You: We offer a comprehensive array of benefits in support of your physical, emotional and financial well-being. A few highlights:
• Employer paid premiums for employee health insurance.
• Generous paid time off, 11 paid holidays, a floating birthday holiday and the ability to maintain a great work/life balance.
• Employer paid premiums for short-term and long-term disability insurance and life insurance.
• Access to an employee assistance program.
• Flexible spending accounts for health and for dependent care.
• Professional development opportunities, including employee driven committees and monthly optional staff workshops.
• Access to wellness initiatives and resources including things such as walking groups, yoga classes at two office locations and workshops on stress management, self-care and healthy living.
• Opportunity to contribute to a 401k retirement plan with a 2% employer match after three months of employment.
The person in this position will be responsible for reception services at our main Powell office. The person will also be the main point of contact for issues pertaining to the facilities and grounds at both our Powell and Annex buildings. They will supervise the Rockwood/Powell shared Receptionist, the JOBS PLUS reception trainee, the janitorial staff, the contracted Porter, and up to 2 other volunteer staff. This is a high paced job requiring professional, courteous, and effective communication with clients, staff, volunteers, partner agencies, and the general public among others. Due to the nature of the service provided clients may be highly stressed, so the ability to work well in a very busy environment and skills to de-escalate tense situations are necessary. Attendance and punctuality are essential, as the person in this position is the one responsible for opening the office at 8:00am each work day morning and is the first line of contact that people seeking assistance will have with the organization. This position requires someone who is bilingual Spanish/English.
In addition, the Office Coordinator will also be part of the Safety Committee Team. The person in this position will be a lead for the Powell office on the Safety Committee, will attend all safety meetings, completing online trainings, and helping update the Emergency Plan for the Portland Office as needed.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Ensuring Reception Responsibilities are completed by Shared Receptionist, JOBS PLUS Receptionist, and stepping in when needed:
• Arrive promptly at 8am daily to open office to public. Stop working promptly at 5pm, after ensuring that the building closing process has been completed.
• Handle a multiline phone, placing callers on hold to ensure all calls are answered promptly.
• Provide timely, pleasant, accurate responses to callers or visitors requesting help.
• Maintain coverage of the reception area, ensuring there is someone to cover the front desk and answer the phones at all times.
• Maintain a safe environment, promptly intervening in situations that might escalate or become unsafe.
• Return promptly from breaks and lunch.
• Ensure appropriate handling of confidential materials, shredding when necessary.
• Process outgoing mail by 9am every morning.
• Process incoming mail promptly and in accordance to proper procedure. Submit signed cash log and checks to Finance and distribute mail as appropriate to staff boxes (as early as possible).
• Connect callers/visitors with requested person or service provider, answering general and specific program questions when applicable.
• Ensure that the reception lobby is clean, organized and welcoming to those coming into Human Solutions. Greet and welcome visitors/clients whenever possible.
• Track and tally incoming calls using our Information & Referral tracking log.
• Ensure that the mail processing machine is operating and has enough money and ink to meet the agency mailing requirements. Contact Pitney Bowes for any repair needs regarding the mail processing machine.
• Maintain photo copier stocked with paper, check fax machine regularly for incoming faxes and file faxes in appropriate staff mail boxes.
• Attend staff meetings and other meetings as required.
• Schedule child care for classes taught at Human Solutions or other events that require this.
• Assisting with some administrative duties, some data entry, and updating program and resource information lists.
• Hire, supervise and train JOBS PLUS Reception Assistant/Facilities employee.
• Attend meetings as required by JOBS PLUS program as they relate to the JOBS PLUS program requirements.
• Work closely with the Rockwood office Multi Service Center Coordinator to provide training and coordination of Front Desk responsibilities, and to ensure information provided to callers is accurate and consistent.
• Duties pertaining to supervision of JOBS PLUS position include, but are not limited to: attending weekly or bi-weekly supervision check-ins to discuss any work related matters pertaining to daily operation of reception and lobby areas and pertaining to the JOBS PLUS employee’s professional development.
• Act as task supervisor for grounds porter service
• Act as task supervisor for custodian/office cleaning company
• Act as point person for Annex and/or Powell staff for matters related to:
o Ordering of supplies, including coffee, cleaning supplies and other supplies for the break rooms
o Coordination with locksmith in event of loss of exterior door key by staff member
o Ordering and issuance of PROTEC cards for the Powell Building
o Addressing printer/copier/fax machine issues that affect functionality
o Ordering replacement toner cartridges for printers
o Phone transfers when staff leave or move between work stations
o Resolving issues pertaining to grounds/building maintenance at the Annex that need to be communicated to and addressed by either the Annex landlord/owner, the grounds porter, or the custodian/office cleaning company
o Resolving issues pertaining to grounds/building maintenance at the Powell building that need to be communicated to and addressed by third parties such as the building landlord/owner, The City of Portland Facilities’ Technician, the grounds porter, or the custodian/office cleaning company
o Building and grounds safety concerns, including but not limited to fire safety inspections, ensuring that extinguishers are professionally maintained and that any follow up items are completed within the required time in order to meet compliance
o Trouble shooting Powell building alarm issues if/as they arise with PROTEC
• Check in bi-weekly with Annex regarding any issues they may need resolved or any supply orders that need to be processed
• Facilitate and manage the conference rooms/computer lab scheduling for Human Solutions (Powell Office), including updating the scheduling calendar.
• Contact proper authorities immediately if/when a false fire alarm occurs. De-activate fire alarm when/if this should happen.
• Post signs at least two weeks in advance alerting public of office closures.
• Perform building check and closure at 4:50pm and identify any staff members who will be staying after 5pm. If there are no staff members or other authorized persons staying past 5pm, secure building and set building alarm.
• Close and lock front and back gates. Back gate locks at 4:50pm. Front gate locks at 5:00pm—if cars are parked behind the gate after 5pm text the owner to shut it for you.
• Coordinate and facilitate regular Powell/Annex staff meetings to discuss and problem-solve issues related to office operations, grounds and building maintenance and safety
• Represent the Powell Office on Human Solutions’ Safety Committee.
• Update resource lists and boards. Ensure information is accurately relayed to public.
• Maintain inventory of supplies including paper for the printer/copier, other office supplies and the First-Aid Kit and Clean-Up Kit.
• Alert office staff when servers or phone systems are down or will be down and expected time they will be down (when known) and also when they are back up and working.
• Shut down all computers in the computer lab at the end of the work day.
• Other duties as assigned.
Successful performance of this job requires the ability to satisfactorily complete each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Social and economic issues causing poverty, working successfully with practices and techniques related to people with low income to achieve greater self- sufficiency.
• Community resources and agencies providing social services needed by homeless families.
• Trauma Informed Care as it pertains to service delivery and supervision.
• Interact with a large volume of callers and impart accurate information on diverse and changing resources and to interact with a diverse set of staff, volunteers, visitors and clients in a proficient manner.
• Enunciate clearly by phone and in person and give clear instructions.
• Accurately track and record data.
• Self-manage and engage in productive work related activities during periods of low calls and low activity.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure and to manage, organize and prioritize many diverse and concurrent activities and responsibilities.
• Ability to interact with other staff, volunteers, clients, vendors, and the general public in a professional manner.
• Ability to treat a very diverse client base, some of whom English is not their first language, with dignity and respect.
• Be reliable and punctual.
• Pay close attention to detail.
• Use a computer, including experience with Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, and Microsoft Word.
• Maintain strict confidentiality and professional boundaries with all clients served.
• Understand and implement complex and varying eligibility requirements and follow program instructions.
• Foster a warm and welcoming environment even at times when conditions are crowded and not everyone may get served.
• Effectively train and supervise one JOBS PLUS employee and up to two volunteers.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Experience providing good customer service
• Experience with crisis intervention, community networking and resource development.
• Experience working in a diverse environment and with people who may sometimes be upset.
• Experience in supervision preferred but not required.
Bilingual English/Spanish is required. This position requires the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing in both English and Spanish.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and distance vision.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. The reception office is a busy environment, with people of all ages and cultures needing assistance.
Possession of a valid driver’s license, clean driving record and reliable transportation required.
Please send resume with cover letter and three professional references to: Kim Watson, Executive Assistant & Office Manager to email@example.com. Please provide three references for people who are familiar with your work. At least one reference should be a current or former supervisor. Open until filled. No phone calls please.