Post Date: 05/19/2020
Close Date: 06/04/2020
Professional Engineer 1 – Structural Design Engineer
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery and Operations Division – Engineering and Technical Services Branch
Bridge Engineering Section / Bridge Design Unit
ODOT is following the direction of the Governor's Office to help slow and prevent the spread of COVID-19. We are recruiting for agency critical positions at this time using virtual tools and processes such as video and phone interviewing to support social or physical distancing. We are also continuing to evaluate the situation and may extend or place recruitments on hold as appropriate. Current applicants for affected positions will be notified.
Bring your civil and structural engineering expertise to our Bridge Design Unit! We are recruiting for a structural design engineer to join our team! In this role, you will plan and direct the design of bridges and other transportation-related structures to solve engineering problems. You will also provide structural analysis, design services and technical guidance within the agency as well as mentor and train other professional designers and technicians in structural analysis and design. Apply today!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
A day in the life:
- Perform bridge and structures engineering of simple to complex bridges and other transportation-related structures.
- Perform modeling for structural analysis.
- Perform design and detailing for simple to complex bridges and structures.
- Prepare cost estimate and estimate of probable construction schedule for simple to complex bridges and structures.
- Coordinate with the project specification writer to prepare construction specifications.
- Analyze existing bridges for capacity to support work access and containment structures.
- Participate on project teams and develop innovative project solutions.
- Complete Project Development and Project Design phases.
- Direct and review the work of structural designers and drafters in the preparation of plans and detailing structures.
- Perform a complete engineering analysis and load rating of existing and new bridges.
- Complete design and structure cost data and calculation books.
- Act as bridge quality checker and perform quality practices.
- Provide consultation for planning, scoping, technical design and construction issues.
- Assist and provide technical leadership to designers regarding structural engineering design and detailing.
- Provide project scoping consultation to project leaders.
- Work is primarily performed in an office environment.
- Field work may require walking adjacent to fast moving traffic, stooping, bending or climbing around hazardous locations, working 20 feet or more above ground, traffic, railways or water, and using safety equipment.
What we need:
A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration within six months of hire.
Additionally, driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position.
What we’d like to see:
- Knowledge in civil/structural engineering.
- Experience using design codes.
- Experience designing bridges and non-bridge highway and transportation-related structures.
- Experience preparing structural calculations for bridge and non-bridge structures.
- Experience preparing structural calculations using computer programs and other means.
- Experience preparing plan sheets, specifications and construction cost estimates.
- Experience performing quality control quality assurance for the design of bridges.
- Experience reviewing statements of work and A&E produced deliverables.
Learn more and apply!
- This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on June 4, 2020.
- Visit www.odotjobs.com and search for REQ-40895 to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
- For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer