Post Date: 11/20/2018
Close Date: 01/31/2019
Outdoor Science Instructor
Multiple positions located outside Tillamook, OR
$68 - $80 per day plus room and board
Our Mission: Inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action.
The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) is seeking multiple Outdoor Science Instructors to teach outdoor science education in the field from late February through early June.
OMSI, a non-profit museum in Portland, OR, is a center of excellence in science teaching and learning and a valued destination for the community. Founded in 1944, OMSI is ranked as one of the nation's top ten science museums and a world-class tourist attraction and educational resource that reaches one million people each year. We are proud to be the largest museum-based outdoor education program in the country.
What you’ll do:
Outdoor Science Instructors are responsible for teaching concept-based, natural science curriculum, utilizing a mix of outdoor and classroom settings to students (K-12) and adults. The outdoor learning experience is like none other; this is an opportunity to be a part of a team that makes a tangible difference in the local and global community. You’ll be among some of the most dedicated, hard-working, and passionate outdoor professionals in the field. You will teach a variety of classes during the spring outdoor school season. This position generally requires employees to live on site, and room and board are provided. Due to the seasonal nature of the position, instructors average 10-12 hours per day, and are exempt from overtime wage regulations. The job is usually Monday–Friday, with some weekends throughout the program season.
What you’ll need:
• Experience working with youth in an educational setting.
• Working knowledge of the concepts in natural history and ecology.
• Combination of experience and education equivalent to a bachelor’s degree.
• Oregon Food Handler Card (or ability to obtain).
• Current Adult/Child CPR/AED.
• Wilderness First Responder certification (or ability to obtain).
• Ability to work as part of a high-functioning team both during working and non-working hours.
• Ability to establish and maintain healthy relationships in a residential work environment.
• Pass pre-employment checks, such as criminal background check and reference checks.
• Room & Board.
• Competitive health benefits.
To learn more about our outdoor science education program, visit https://omsi.edu/outdooredjobs.
We invite all applicants interested in impacting the community and our future generations to apply to join our team. To learn more or apply visit https://omsi.applicantpool.com/jobs/290478.html.
Positions close January 31, 2019.
OMSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Complete details: https://omsi.applicantpool.com/jobs/290478.html