Post Date: 06/23/2020
Close Date: 07/15/2020
Due to COVID-19, demand for our services is increasing. This is a critical hire for supporting our community during this pandemic.
Full Time, Full Benefits
*On-Call/Relief Position also available
Job Req: 1205
We’re a Portland, Oregon based nonprofit mental health agency. We’ve been serving children in our community for 73 years; and if you’re experienced in mentoring or teaching youth, we’re looking for you! Join us in helping children achieve their full potential through trauma informed care.
Our Milieu Counselors provide support to adolescents (ages 15-17 years old) in a co-ed behavioral health residential facility setting. Milieu Counselors mentor youth and teach them vocational and daily living skills.
Milieu Counselor are positive role models for the youth in program. They play an role integral to helping the youth transition into self-sufficient adults.
• Actively monitor the youth to ensure the safety of all participants in the milieu setting
• Promote skill building for the youth
• Plan activities and field trips, assist with schoolwork and extra-curricular activities, and maintain a supportive environment for youth
• Provide transportation to youth to attend scheduled appointments using agency vehicle
• Assemble and serving nutritious meals; and administer medication to youth if needed
• Effectively diffuse or de-escalate potentially volatile situations using behavior management techniques
Who You Are:
You’re a team player who values culturally sensitive, trauma informed care and enjoys working in a dynamic environment. You communicate effectively with other staff, and client care representatives. You have a keen ability to maintain composure and professional boundaries in stressful situations, while simultaneously building rapport with teenage youth.
Education and Work Experience:
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
• At least 21 years of age
• High School Diploma
• Minimum of 1 year employment experience in the child welfare field working with children and/or adolescents in a social service setting
• Basic computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, databases and Outlook
• Bi-lingual in Spanish and English, written, read and verbal strongly preferred
• ORR experience
• Residential experience
• Knowledge of adolescent developmental issues, trauma, abuse and neglect, substance abuse and dependence, delinquency, peer influence, and related group and individual interventions.
• Pass a DHS criminal history background
• Must be able to remain awake for scheduled shifts
• Meet agency driving requirement
• Language testing, if applicable
Who We Are:
Morrison Child and Family Services is a non-profit organization that provides a comprehensive array of services to children, adolescents, and their families. As an agency Morrison, its team members, and clients commit to the following values of trauma-informed care:
• Nonviolence - being safe and doing the right thing
• Emotional Intelligence - managing our feelings so we don’t hurt ourselves or others
• Social Learning - respecting and sharing ideas of our teams
• Democracy - shared decision making whenever possible
• Open Communication - saying what we mean and not being mean when we say it
• Social Responsibility - everyone makes a contribution to the organizational culture
• Growth and Change - creating hope for our clients and ourselves
Visit our website to learn more about mission and history and our strategy for accomplishing our goal of achieving significant, positive, and long-term clinical outcomes for the clients we serve.
Why join us?
• We value career growth – Milieu Counselors have access to several trainings and supportive supervisors who are willing to mentor team members so they can achieve their potential and transition into other roles within the program!
• Benefits and Perks: Extensive benefit package includes medical, dental and vision coverage. Company provided Life and Long-Term Disability. Paid vacation and sick time. Transportation stipend for employees working at our downtown location.
• We make a difference in our community – At Morrison we provide a comprehensive continuum of mental health, substance abuse and prevention and education services for youth, from birth through age 21. We work with families and communities to make a difference in every child’s life.
Morning shift: 7:00am – 3:30pm Thursday – Monday
Swing shift: 1:00pm – 11:30pm Wednesday – Saturday
***Staff will work 4 consecutive 10-hours days and get 3 days in a row off!
Starting Pay Rate:
Milieu Counselor: $14.00-$14.89
Bilingual (Spanish) Milieu Counselor: $15.26 – $16.23
$1/hr for swing and overnight shift differential!
External Candidate Process: Click here to apply:
*** External candidates, if viewing job through Indeed.com or Glassdoor go to: https://www.morrisonkids.org/careers/openpositions/ and select the job title “Milieu Counselor - Group Home” and click: “Apply for Job”
Internal Candidate Process: Current Morrison employees, please visit our Internal Career Center by logging in Workforce Now ADP and following this path: Myself > Talent > Career Center > Milieu Counselor – Group Home
Not the right fit, or not yet ready to apply?
Join our Talent Community! We'll keep you updated on positions that fit your skill set and interest!
**Must be comfortable working in a regulated environment, and work within the parameters of program licensing guidelines.
To be considered for this position you must follow this application procedure.
Position Open Until Enough Qualified Applicants Have Responded
We strive to Create a Diverse, Inclusive environment to Better Serve our Clients.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Complete details: https://morrisonkids.org/job/milieu-counselor-group-home/