Post Date: 03/06/2019
Close Date: 04/18/2019
At Catlin Gabel School, we have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay and do their best work as educators. We pride ourselves on being a warm and welcoming community, and we know our school's success is due in large part to the hard work and dedication of our passionate employees.
Catlin Gabel's dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in our curriculum and in our mission. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different. Applications are welcome from anyone and everyone.
Position Title: UPPER SCHOOL TEMPORARY MUSIC TEACHER (August 2019-January 2020)
Department: UPPER SCHOOL
Reports to: UPPER SCHOOL HEAD
The majority of this work will be in the Upper School. An Upper School teacher is typically responsible for teaching four classes daily. These arts classes are typically across several grade levels. In addition to daily responsibilities, Upper School teachers are expected to participate in, and lead, activities that include but are not limited to extra-curricular, experiential, and community service learning across grade levels and advising. All faculty members participate in overnight retreats and trips with students at different times during the year. Please note that this position has a limited duration; August 2019 - January 2020.
We are seeking an experienced, dynamic music instructor who can lead choral and instrumental ensembles. We are looking for someone who can build on our diverse ensemble offerings including chamber choir (which meets at 7:25 am), musical theatre, songwriting, electronic music composition, rock band, etc. The ideal candidate will also have demonstrated use of a variety of teaching methods to support different learning styles and have experience teaching the whole spectrum of students. The candidate should be excited to help students build self-confidence through successful exploration and discovery in music. While this is primarily an Upper School position, there will be an opportunity to work with Middle School music students as well to build a program.
Catlin Gabel demands much from its teachers beyond their classroom responsibilities. Such demands include working with students and colleagues to enrich the school’s life outside the classroom. Faculty members also serve as guidance counselors for a cohort of student advisees. These demands highlight the fact that any teaching position at Catlin entails more than just working with students in a subject. Though this may be taxing at times, we feel it is both necessary and rewarding.
• Work collaboratively with fellow-staff members and administrators in curriculum design, assessment, and instruction as it pertains to specific electives in the Arts.
• Collaborate with other Upper School teachers, educators and specialist teachers to develop curriculum, plan trips, and special projects.
• Communicate in a clear and timely fashion with parents, students and colleagues.
• A positive contributing member of small and focused teams as needed.
• Be a committed and dedicated team player.
• Attend, actively listen and contribute to meetings regularly.
• Pursue professional growth opportunities, and be accountable and responsible for individual professional development.
• Actively review, plan, and develop curriculum, horizontally and vertically.
• Plan and teach a challenging course of study in a developmentally appropriate manner, with an eye towards differentiating instruction.
• Coordinate and implement at the classroom level appropriate student assessments and utilize assessment results to enhance student learning in music.
• Integrate the use of technology to enhance student learning in music where appropriate.
• Create an inclusive classroom environment through regular class meetings, supportive exchanges with students, and clear expectations for classroom behavior.
• Actively support the school through participation in the variety of activities that make the Catlin Gabel School a vibrant community.
• Cooperatively work and communicate effectively with parents in conferences and written reports in ways that meet the needs of the student and the school.
• Contribute to the upper school by working effectively with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
• Act as Upper School advisor.
• Other duties as assigned by Upper School Head.
• Complete required H.R. trainings each year (CPR, first aid, mandatory reporting, handling of hazardous materials, etc.)
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
MFA in a music-related field or MA or MEd.in an education-related discipline, alongside a BA in music is preferred. Demonstrated experience with adolescents or young adults is a must. At least two years demonstrated effective teaching experience is required.
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO APPLY, PLEASE VISIT: https://catlin.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx. Applicants MUST apply via the provided link to be considered.
Complete details: https://catlin.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx