Post Date: 09/05/2019
Close Date: 09/13/2019
Customer Field Services; Eugene, OR
Posting # 50295746
Our Service Technicians ensure that our customers are provided with the fuel to provide them a warm, comfortable, and safe environment, especially on a cold winter night. Technicians are responsible for more than just setting meters and troubleshooting gas appliances - they are problem solvers, customer service professionals, and primary first responders to emergency situations. Do you enjoy working with your hands? Do you thrive on using your technical ability to solve challenging issues? Do you get satisfaction from making a customer’s day? Are you the sort of person everyone calls when something breaks or a piece of equipment isn’t working properly and needs repair? If so, please consider applying for our team!
NW Natural offers all new service technician trainees an intensive 24 month training program after hire; as a trainee, you are responsible for bringing the enthusiasm and drive to learn. Our technician family of jobs also offers opportunities within the company to progress in the ranks, so qualified trainees are always in demand!
Join us in our mission to meet our customers’ needs and exceed their expectations!
Day to Day:
• Develops and maintains a thorough understanding of Customer Field Services Policy and Procedures and all applicable codes.
• Activates, inspects and diagnoses customer-owned appliances and equipment, as well as installing and maintaining NW Natural owned meter sets.
• Adjusts air/gas inputs necessary to provide safe and efficient combustion.
• Installs, activates, changes, adjusts, maintains, and removes gas metering and regulating equipment, including those with delivery pressures up to 2.0 psig delivery pressure.
• Responds to gas leakage and emergency situations.
• Position requires shift work including weekends and holidays.
• Performs non-technical work including meter turn-offs, rereads, and ERT investigations, replacements, and installations.
• Trains, assists, and provides feedback to less-experienced workers at the direction of supervisor, which may include providing feedback to supervisor on progress of training.
• Wears required Company-issued protective equipment and safety gear.
• Operates Company vehicles in compliance with state/local laws and Company policies and procedures.
• Acquires and maintains OQ qualifications.
• Acts and communicates in a professional, respectful, and cooperative manner in connection with all activities associated with NW Natural.
• Follows supervisory instructions and is flexible and adaptable to changing conditions and expectations.
• Maintains punctual, regular, and reliable attendance.
• Demonstrates the Company’s core values and complies with all Company policies and procedures.
Come on your first day with:
• Demonstrated knowledge, skills and ability in any of the following: mechanical, electrical or construction.
• Ability to use associated tools, and the skills/knowledge to apply gauges, piping, pressures, and mechanical concepts.
• Manual dexterity adequate to effectively use basic hand tools including, but not limited to, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.
• Ability to diagnose problems and follow through with solutions.
• Ability to detect natural gas and diesel vapors/fumes.
• Basic math and reading skills.
• Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to establish priorities, balance multiple assignments and adapt to changing priorities.
• Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer.
• Ability to interface with employees and customers to answer questions or resolve issues with tact and diplomacy.
• Ability to concentrate on tasks, apply procedures in sequence, make decisions with limited information, and work in a structured team environment.
• Ability to perform physically demanding work involving walking, standing, bending, twisting, wrist turning, grasping, lifting, squatting, kneeling, or reaching for 8+ hours.
• Ability to work in adverse weather or terrain conditions.
• Ability to safely operate Company vehicles/equipment and perform inspections and minor maintenance as necessary and in compliance with Company policies and state/local laws.
• Valid OR/WA driver’s license, any required certifications and/or endorsements, and satisfactory driving record. Must obtain a valid Oregon/Washington driver's license within 90 days if current valid license is from another state.
• Ability to safely use ladders and climb to heights of at least 50 feet.
• Must be able to lift a maximum of 85 lbs.
• Exposure to confined spaces as defined by the Company’s Confined Spaces Program.
• Subject to random drug testing.
What we offer:
• Arguably the most competitive healthcare and wellness benefits in the Pacific Northwest
• Green Team/Diversity & Inclusion Council/Safety Team/Women’s Network
• Numerous volunteer and community engagement opportunities
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan with a 15% discount
• 20% Employee discount on Natural Gas
This position will be tested on:
ACT Workplace Documents Level 4
ACT Applied Technology Level 4
Application Process: To be considered for this position, submit a complete electronic application including a cover letter and a resume. Applications will be reviewed once application deadline has passed.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Complete details: https://www.nwnatural.com/careers/jobopportunities