Post Date: 10/09/2019
Close Date: 10/31/2019
Portland YouthBuilders (PYB) is a non-profit vocational alternative high school and a residential general contractor, dedicated to serving young adults ages 17-24, who want to transform their lives. PYB’s focus is on assisting students to develop a viable career pathway and complete high school. PYB’s state certified Pre-Apprenticeship Construction Program provides trades specific training, through hands on work building affordable housing, as well as hands on trainings on commercial work sites and training via a variety of union trade partnerships.
The Construction Trainer will supervise and instruct crews of students in the new construction and remodeling of affordable housing. They are responsible for daily oversight, organization, safety and quality control of work performed on assigned projects. The Construction Trainer works in partnership with other construction staff to plan daily crew assignments, plan project schedules, and share teaching responsibilities. They will also work on teams with academic teachers, counselors and career development professionals in a collaborative effort to help students develop personal skills and overcome barriers as they strive to define and prepare to achieve their career goals.
PYB is deeply committed to continuously working to make our organization a more equitable and just place for both students and staff. As it is written in our equity statement: At PYB, we believe that communities are strengthened when diversity is honored. We believe we have a responsibility to interrupt and confront inequity. At PYB, we commit to continuously reflect and challenge the ways in which we, as a community, and as individuals, perpetuate inequity. It is not only vital to our students’ success but essential to our purpose.
*Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Reports to: Construction Program Manager
Schedule: 40 hours per week (1.0 FTE)
Starting Salary: $47,000-$54,000 per year
Employment Status: Regular, Exempt
Benefits: Seven weeks paid vacation per year- prorated in first year based on length of service; most state recognized holidays paid, plus 1 personal day per month; $650 per month contribution to cafeteria plan for health care benefits and/or retirement savings; Life & Long-Term Disability insurance; dynamic environment with great team of students and staff.
QUALIFYING KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE
• Minimum 5 years experience working in the construction industry or construction related trades
• Strong carpentry skills, with hands-on experience in most phases of residential construction; strong framing and finish carpentry skills required;
• Strong interest in working with and supporting a diverse group of young adults to help them develop and achieve goals;
• Preference given to candidates with construction training and/or teaching experience
• Ability to collaborate, clearly communicate, and problem solve;
• Experience as lead carpenter organizing and supervising construction sites;
• Able to work in Microsoft Word and email; capacity to competently use a database after training is provided; other computer skills a plus;
• A good driving record with a valid Oregon Driver’s License, the ability to drive various personal and construction vehicles, small buses and a standard transmission;
• Ability to lift 50 pounds and to perform work in all typical residential construction conditions including roofs and crawl spaces; ability to demonstrate and perform high production techniques;
• Patience is required, as well as the ability to work effectively with a team and efficiently working alone.
• Willingness to represent PYB and promote the program to outside organizations and youth;
• A fingerprint-based criminal background check and drug test will be administered prior to employment for candidates under consideration.
To apply: email resume and cover letter to Juli Michael, Construction Program Manager, at email@example.com. Immediate applications are encouraged and will be reviewed as received, and interviews conducted to fill the position as soon as a qualified candidate is identified.
No phone calls or visits please
For more information, please visit our website at www.pybpdx.org.
Portland YouthBuilders’ mission connects us to people and communities across Portland. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, disability, veteran status, or any other classifications applicable by law. Portland YouthBuilders is committed to the diversity of our people, programs and services. The organization acts affirmatively in the employment and advancement of qualified people of color. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. TTY1-800-735-2900
PYB employees and volunteers must successfully complete a criminal background and drug test check prior to work. Portland YouthBuilders is a Drug Free Workplace and adheres to the requirements of the Drug Free Workplace Act. Portland YouthBuilders’ students and staff are subject to random drug tests.
o This project was funded in part (25%) by a grant awarded under the YouthBuild Initiative in the amount of $1,100,000 as implemented by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration.
o This program financed in part with funds provided through Worksystems, Inc. from the U.S. Department of Labor, the City of Portland, and the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
o PYB is an AmeriCorps program and students who are AmeriCorps members are eligible for an education award.
Complete details: http://pybpdx.org/about/career-opportunities