Post Date: 02/06/2019
Close Date: 03/08/2019
At Catlin Gabel School, we have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay and do their best work as educators. We pride ourselves on being a warm and welcoming community, and we know our school's success is due in large part to the hard work and dedication of our passionate employees.
Catlin Gabel's dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in our curriculum and in our mission. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different. Applications are welcome from anyone and everyone.
Position Title: Upper School Learning Specialist
Department: Upper School
FTE: 0.5 (Exempt)
Reports to: Upper School Academic Dean
The Upper School Learning Specialist provides support in the development of differentiated curriculum, effective instructional methods, and individualized educational plans for upper school students in collaboration with teachers, students, parents, and outside support services. We seek applicants who are interested in a dynamic relationship with their colleagues.
Catlin Gabel teachers and staff enjoy working with colleagues and students outside of their classroom responsibilities; we see this as necessary and rewarding in order to build a joyful, caring community.
• Provide learning strategies instruction to students
• Track, document and communicate student learning needs through the school’s systems and tools
• Coordinate, track, and monitor student progress in collaboration with staff, teachers and tutors as appropriate
• Identify the needs for outside lerning evaluations, and facilitate the process of outside referals
• Document and communicate learning evaluation results, recommendations and accommodations to teachers, advisors, tutors and parents
• Schedule, attend and facilitate meetings between teachers and outside services as necessary
• Coach teachers in providing alternative methods of instruction and assessment for students
• Consult with teachers periodically to follow up on students with learning needs to ensure recommendations and accommodations are executed
• Help facilitate smooth transition for incoming Upper School students
• Collaborate and meet regularly with other Catlin Gabel Learning Specialists to work on school-wide priorities and coordination
• Attend meetings or conferences with teachers and parents as necessary
• Maintain a list of possible outside evaluators for assessments and screenings as well as a current list of providers for speech and occupational therapy
• Curate a group of appropriate tutors and provide them with traning and information to ensure successful learning coordination between them, families and school
• Coordinate tutoring services within the Upper School, as necessary
• Provide parents, teachers, advisors, tutors and students with specific information about a student’s learning, academic performance, and most effective instructional techniques
• Serve as school liaison for educational consultants or psychologists working with families, in collaboration with other learning specialists, counselor and dean of students
• Other duties as assigned by Upper School Head.
• Participate as a part-time faculty member
• Work with students to help them develop curiosity, creativity, teamwork, resilience, empathy, independence, time management, and responsible decision making
• Communicate in a clear and timely fashion with parents, students, and colleagues
• Have a high collegial quotient and be a positive, committed and dedicated team player in the professional community
• Regularly attend, actively listen, and contribute to meetings
• Pursue professional growth opportunities and be accountable and responsible for individual professional learning
• Integrate the use of technology to enhance student learning
• Actively support the school through participation in the variety of activities that make the Catlin Gabel School a vibrant community
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• BA or BS in Special Education, Teaching, Learning Differences or related fields
• MA or MS preferable
• At least two years demonstrated effective experience as a learning specialist
• Understanding and experience with student-centered teaching, project-based learning, and performance-based assessment is preferable.
• Experience in assessing and teaching children with learning difficulties
• Experience teaching in a classroom preferred
• Understanding of learning and development of adolescents is essential
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO APPLY, PLEASE VISIT: https://catlin.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx. Applicants MUST apply via the provided link to be considered.
Complete details: https://catlin.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx