Post Date: 07/29/2019
Close Date: 08/26/2019
University Mission: Concordia University is a Christian university preparing leaders for the transformation of society.
Position Title: Controller
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Number: BS0005
Salary Grade: Grade 9
Primary Work Location: Holman Campus, Portland OR
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday
Employee Classification: 03 – Staff, Exempt, Full-time
EEO Classification: 11 - 3031
Last Updated: July 2018
The Controller is responsible for operational accounting and business services leadership, management and direct performance of accounting and business services functions in a highly complex not-for-profit environment. Directly supervises and leads a team of accounting and payroll professionals. Coordinates business services team to work collaboratively with University financial partners and vendors to provide excellent service to students and staff.
Concordia University is a private, Christian university. Concordia University reserves the right to give preference in employment based on religion in order to further the Lutheran objectives of the University and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Responsible for leading and managing the university’s accounting, student account management, payroll, and Business Office functions including and not limited to:
• Ensuring that ERP accounting system reflects appropriate monthly accruals to ensure accurate reporting and forecasting.
• Ensuring that student accounts receivable team is setting and meeting appropriate service and collection goals and that A/R balances are collected promptly.
• Ensuring that accounts payable team is processing A/P in a timely manner
• Ensuring that all reasonable discounts are taken on account payable
• Ensuring that payroll team is processing payroll in a timely manner and assisting the Payroll Manager in establishing and enforcing appropriate policies and procedures.
• Ensuring that periodic general ledger, bank, and expense and income reconciliations are completed
• Ensuring that required debt payments are made on a timely basis
• Monitoring and managing daily cash flow ensuring that cash positions are sufficient for the conduct of all business obligations.
• Maintaining the chart of accounts
• Maintaining an orderly accounting filing system
• Maintaining a system of controls over account transactions
• Assisting CFO and coordinating Business Services team in annual budgeting process as appropriate
• Assisting CFO and coordinating Business Services team in cost accounting and financial forecasting as appropriate.
2. Responsible for performing monthly and year-end accounting period closings, preparing and issuing timely and complete financial statements, managing the production of the annual budget and forecasts, calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management, provide a system of management cost reports, and work collaboratively with management team members to effectively monitor budget expenditures.
3. Develop and manage internal financial controls in accordance with the GAAP and the university’s procedures.
4. Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
5. Schedule and manage the annual audit process. Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit.
6. Verify and manage compliance with tax obligations, standards, and procedures. Coordinate annual 990 filing.
7. Detect errors, deviations, and areas for improvement from a financial perspective.
8. Implementation of methodological and IT tools to control activity.
9. Optimize the use of information systems and partner/vendor systems and related processes.
10. Hire, supervise, evaluate, train and motivate financial and accounting team members under his/her responsibility.
11. Plan and coordinate ongoing Business Services operations in cooperation with Financial Aid, Registrar, Student Housing, Human Resources, and other related departments.
12. Perform other duties as assigned.
Executive team and senior management team members, directors, deans, faculty and other exempt and non-exempt staff, external partners and vendors, and external auditors.
Scope of Work
Responsible for managing tactical and strategic initiatives and programs that support the overall objectives and goals of the University. Holds significant people management responsibilities and direct reports typically ensure successful performance of operations and high quality of university products and services. Ensures division and University compliance with applicable laws, rules, regulations and policies
Plans and evaluates organizational practices to ensure maximum effectiveness. Develops and implements procedures and practices to improve efficiency. Acts as a representative of the department or division.
Working Conditions: Office environment.
Minimum Physical Requirements
• Must be able to tolerate prolonged exposure to computer monitors and computer-centered work.
• Exposure to prolonged sitting and/or static position.
• Able to lift, pull, grasp, stoop and reach within an office environment.
• Able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs on an occasional basis.
• Able to effectively participate in two-way conversation, as well as make content presentations to small and large groups of constituents.
• Able to perform complex financial and mathematical analysis in an accurate and efficient manner.
• Able to perform complex logical reasoning tasks.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration.
• CPA or CMA preferred.
• 5+ years of progressively responsible accounting experience.
• 3+ years of direct accounting department supervisory experience.
• Demonstrated ability to manage ERP financial system, policies and processes with business team and users across the university.
• Proficient in not-for-profit accounting and finance.
• Strong team mentoring and coaching experience.
• Demonstrated ability to operate as an effective tactical and strategic thinker.
Minimum Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
• Proficient and able to consistently apply knowledgeable of GAAP related to not-for-profit organizations throughout the course of work responsibilities.
• Able to utilize large integrated enterprise software systems as well as standard Microsoft desktop software in an effective and efficient manner.
• Able to prepare, comprehend, and communicate accounting models to non-finance users.
• Ability to work in a trustworthy and collaborative across a diverse University constituency.
• Able to demonstrate strong leadership and organizational skills on a regular and consistent basis.
• Able to apply critical and logical thinking, good judgment, and problem solving during all work activities.
• Consistently demonstrates initiative and a willingness to continuously improve quality and productivity within the department.
• Demonstrated concern for delivering quality service to students.
• Able to work independently and as a part of a team.
• Able to manage confidential information with discretion, tact and exceptional judgement.
• Demonstrated ability to design and implement improvements in accounting and business processes.
Post Offer, Pre-Employment Screening Requirements
Successfully pass a criminal background check
Attitude and demeanor of all Concordia University employees: As part of a work environment that highly values Christian education, educational excellence and service to students, all members of the community will:
• Publicly support the mission of Concordia University.
• Communicate effectively with clarity, sensitivity, and understanding as s/he deals with colleagues, teachers, students, parents, faculty, college personnel and program associates.
• Work as a team member in a professional environment.
• Possess a “service attitude” (willingness to be flexible to meet the needs of the department).
• Have a professional physical appearance (appropriate clothing, personal hygiene, etc.).
Complete details: http://bit.ly/Controller_CU