Post Date: 05/14/2020
Close Date: 06/04/2020
Civil Engineering Specialist 3 – Rose Quarter Senior Construction Coordinator
Oregon Department of Transportation
Operations – Urban Mobility Office
ODOT is following the direction of the Governor's Office to help slow and prevent the spread of COVID-19. We are recruiting for agency critical positions at this time using virtual tools and processes such as video and phone interviewing to support social or physical distancing. We are also continuing to evaluate the situation and may extend or place recruitments on hold as appropriate. Current applicants for affected positions will be notified.
Our Urban Mobility Office is seeking an experienced engineering professional to assist our resident engineer with the execution and documentation of complex construction projects including the Construction Manager / General Contractor (CM/GC) I-5 Rose Quarter Improvement Project.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This recruitment is open until filled. The first round of screening is scheduled for Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 7:00 a.m. We encourage you to not delay in applying.
A day in the life:
- Coordinate the daily work of the inspectors, survey crew and other office staff.
- Review contract work for compliance with plans and specifications and recommend payment to contractor.
- Develop estimates and justification for change orders.
- Maintain contact with contractor personnel; schedule conferences and attend meetings.
- Develop project engineering budgets and annual crew budgets.
- Respond to public and local jurisdiction inquiries about projects assigned.
- Monitor inspectors and survey crews and conduct inspections; order and observe samples and tests.
- Review contractor’s project schedule to determine if it is reasonable and meets specifications and to determine staffing to coordinate activities to meet contractor’s needs
- Participate in project development activities prior to contracts being awarded.
- During the work, interpret the contract documentation, anticipate potential problems, propose potential solutions and work with others in their resolution.
- Represent ODOT in communications with the contractor, the public or other interested parties.
- Initiate, negotiate, prepare and review proposed contract change orders, engineering work orders and state force orders.
- Monitor traffic control and project safety procedures and methods.
- Prepare and submit documentation and reports according to the contract requirements.
- More than 50% of work is performed outdoors.
- Must drive ODOT provided vehicles to construction sites and other locations on a daily basis.
What we need:
A bachelor's degree in civil engineering, surveying or transportation-related engineering and four years of civil or transportation-related engineering or surveying experience.
Seven years of civil or transportation-related engineering or surveying experience. Two years of this experience must have been independently planning and completing assignments in drafting, field or laboratory inspection, construction contract administration, surveying, materials testing, or traffic investigations.
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
- Experience in construction inspection of CM/GC transportation projects.
- Experience with transportation mega projects construction (more than $100 million).
- Experience leading multi-discipline teams and managing conflict.
Learn more and apply!
- This recruitment is open until filled. The first round of screening is scheduled for Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 7:00 a.m. We encourage you to not delay in applying.
- Visit www.odotjobs.com and search for REQ-40706 to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
- For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer