Post Date: 12/20/2017
Close Date: 03/31/2018
Veterans Resource Center Coordinator - Cascade Campus
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09209
Location: Cascade Campus
Address: 705 N Killingsworth Street, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Academic Professional; Level 5; Full-time; Exempt
Starting Salary Range: 2017/2018 Salary Range: $48,237yr to $83,640/yr. (see "Additional Posting Information section for details)
Job Close Date: Apply Immediately; This position will close once sufficient qualified applications have been received.
The Cascade campus of Portland Community College is seeking a, full-time Veterans Resource Center Coordinator. The Veterans Resource Center is devoted to providing a space for veterans to interact with their peers, connect with resources (health, well-being, educational benefits), and to improve their academic success. The Veterans Resource Center is core to PCC Cascade Campus' efforts to promote strong student engagement and education equity, and this position is critical to its goal.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
13.33 hours of Vacation leave per month, 1 day of Sick Leave per month, 11 Holidays, 3 additional Personal Leave days per year
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age, as well as tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
- Assists or provides oversight and coordination of the day-to-day operation of a resource center or program dedicated to retaining and serving marginalized students. Identifies resource materials for inclusion in the Center.
- Contributes to or leads District-level initiatives and strategic objectives as directed; may lead committees, councils, or other PCC groups; acts as a change agent.
- Engages with related community organizations and stakeholders to further Center or program and broader PCC objectives and expand and improve services; performs outreach to schools, higher education, public agencies, non-profits and other organizations to recruit and otherwise further the program mission.
- Monitors and leads the work of academic professional, classified and/or casual staff, student workers and volunteers. Hires and trains student and casual workers. Participates in performance evaluations and provides input related to performance professional staff as appropriate. Performs coaching, disciplinary actions, and termination limited to student and casual staff only. Processes personnel paperwork, monitors time, and acknowledges timesheets for student and casual employees only.
- Administers program budget(s); prepares cost estimates, budget recommendations and makes and monitors budget expenditures, within set parameters.
- Mentors student leaders and other students to support, design, and implement programs, special events, and services that support student success and development. Advises students on program planning methods and processes and assists students with problem solving a variety of complex issues during all phases of an event. Empowers student workers to support programs, tutoring and other activities that promote learning and student development.
- Coordinates the delivery of information and assistance to all students seeking support, focusing on the needs of assigned student populations. Provides information and referral and engages with students in crisis or experiencing complex issues and barriers to education; follows all related laws, regulations, and policies while providing assistance. Works with faculty and other staff on student success strategies.
- Develops and implements retention programs that support student success. Provides mentoring, job shadowing, seminars, workshops, student involvement programs, support groups, re-entry and transition, etc.
- Develops and delivers leadership development workshops and seminars for program participants. May develop and deliver classroom instruction. Conducts student assessments and notifies students of their progress in the program.
- Attends conferences and trainings, and researches best practices, policies and regulations, broader social issues, and current theory toward developing, improving, and implementing existing and new programs.
- Provides Campus or District-wide professional development, faculty and staff educational programs, and presentations for signature events related to assigned area of responsibility.
- Provides information on available resources and services. Participates in meetings, committees, or other related groups to communicate information regarding services, programs, areas of opportunity and other pertinent information related to Center mission and activities. Develops materials for use in outreach and recruitment.
- Coordinates outreach to the community. Serves on committees and boards. Participates in professional organizations and conferences.
- Collects, prepares, reviews, analyzes, and reports on a variety of complex information and data and implements changes to programming based on findings; makes recommendations for broader District-wide initiatives to further education equity or equality and other College initiatives.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- The education and/or work history sections of your online application form must demonstrate that you meet all of the following Minimum Qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application.
- Satisfactory references and successful completion of the criminal background check are required to meet the minimum qualifications for hire into this position.
In the online application's Education/Employment History sections, include jobs, duties, and dates that support all of the following qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application.
Bachelor's degree in Education, Liberal Arts, Psychology, Social Science, related field or equivalent experience such as that gained by service in the military.
Two years of experience working in a student support environment, and designing and facilitating training for a diverse audience.
Experience working with veteran student populations and understanding of military resources available to Veterans.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Effective marketing techniques;
- Portland Community College programs;
- General college policies and procedures.
- Effective office management;
- Evaluating transcripts and graduation petitions as needed;
- Design, write and edit promotional materials.
- Coordinate and oversee an office environment;
- Operate a computer and various supporting software packages;
- Develop and facilitate effective training workshops;
- Operate a variety of office equipment;
- Work with an ethnically and culturally diverse student population;
- Effectively communicate in oral and written form.
- Knowledge of community services and resources specific to the veterans population.
- Demonstrated experience working with and promoting success for diverse student populations in a post secondary environment.
- Demonstrated experience coordinating programs and/or support services for veteran students.
- Demonstrated experience in working with marginalized communities within the military such as women and LGBTQ+ s.
- Knowledge of issues and experience unique to marginalized populations within the veteran population
- Demonstrated experience in providing veteran educational benefits information in the form of workshops, in advising appointments, or other events specifically for Veterans and their family members.
- Experience facilitating a mentoring and/or student leadership program and supervising student workers.
When you apply for this position be prepared to attach a document that responds to the following questions:
1. Please describe your experience working with marginalized communities within the military such as women, minorities and/or the LGBTQ community.
Statement: At the core of Portland Community College's (PCC) mission is it's commitment to opportunity and equitable student success. PCC recognizes the unique value, perspectives, strengths and challenges of every person who comes to PCC for education. PCC desires that all students achieve their academic goals through equitable support, quality instruction, clear guidance to persist, and an unwavering commitment to completion shared by the entire college community.
2. Question: Through your role as PCC's Veterans Resource Center Coordinator, please describe how your work would create opportunities for our Veteran students to be included, heard, and supported.
Additional Posting Information:
"Veterans Resource Center Coordinator" is the working title for this position; the formal title in the PCC job classification system is "Resource Program Coordinator III".
Additional Posting Information
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the Required Questions from the Committee - scroll down to see "Required Questions" below - (Attach document)
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Current Resume (attach document)
When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or \".pdf\" formats.
Initial salary placement will normally be at Step 1. Advanced initial salary placement for directly relevant professional, business or industrial experience may be applied for new Academic Professionals.
- Upon hire candidate will be required to supply official copies of transcripts for all degrees earned.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Faculty/Academic Professional Employees. Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1139784
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Complete details: http://apptrkr.com/1139784