Post Date: 02/05/2019
Close Date: 02/15/2019
Deadline to apply: February 15, 2019 @ 5:00 pm PST
Salary: $15.00 hourly
These positions are classified as temporary. Temporary employees may not work more than 1040 hours per year.
Do you belong at the zoo? Are you looking for a fun work environment? Do you have a positive attitude and enjoy providing customer service to guests from around the country and the world? Would you enjoy working with others who represent the diversity that the Portland community provides? Do you appreciate having a variety of job functions and being in a fast-paced setting? If you thrive in this type of work environment, the Oregon Zoo may be a perfect workplace for you.
Admissions staff perform a variety of functions that may include selling tickets, scanning tickets, greeting guests in multiple locations, acting as carousel operator, managing concert entry and seating support, assisting with field trip entry, and driving a zoomer golf cart. Roles may include work during special events, private events, special projects and additional attractions. Admissions staff must be available to work in all of these jobs depending on zoo need, including shifts on nights, weekends and holidays. Applicants without a valid driver's license will not be required to operate a zoomer golf cart.
Schedules vary based on weather and events at the zoo. Hours increase during school breaks, holidays, summer and the ZooLights season. For those hired, positions have an anticipated start date of March/April 2019. Training may be available after beginning employment for those interested in Stationmaster positions.
Admissions staff enjoy perks like free admission to the zoo for you and your family, admission and parking at Blue Lake and Oxbow Parks, health club membership discounts and access to Metro's Life Assistance Program. In addition, the zoo participates in the Reciprocal Employee Attraction Pass, offering free admission to over 20 area attractions!
Getting to work is simple, Trimet MAX Blue and Red lines conveniently have stops at the Oregon Zoo. Learn more about the Oregon Zoo.
At the Oregon Zoo, we hire a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all of our employees can thrive.
• Minimum of 17 years of age
• High school diploma, GED or sufficient education to demonstrate the ability to read instructions and to perform routine math calculations with accuracy
• One year of experience providing customer service in a public setting (Be sure to include this experience on your application.)
• One year of paid experience with service-level cashiering (Be sure to include this experience on your application.)
• Must be able to work weekends, evenings and holidays
• Any satisfactory equivalent combination of education and post-high school work experience and training that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the job duties and responsibilities will be considered.
• Possession of a valid driver's license to drive zoo vehicles
All finalists will be required to pass a background check.
To apply: visit www.oregonmetro.gov/jobs for the complete job announcement and a link to our online hiring center. Metro is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Complete details: www.oregonmetro.gov/jobs