Post Date: 08/06/2019
Close Date: 08/31/2019
For over 125 years, Portland General Electric has proudly served Oregon. Our dedication to helping customers is matched by our commitment to providing PGE employees with a diverse array of rewarding career opportunities. Diversity and community are at the heart of what we do for our customers and for each other. We are committed to a team that looks like the Oregon community that we know and love.
PGE team members are creative problem solvers who love to apply themselves to challenges, big and small. We are looking for team members who will grow their skills, their career and their future with us.
Manager, Database Design & Administration – R-19-1620
Administers database utilities, manages the security of the databases and maintains the organization's databases across multiple platforms and computing environments. Applies understanding of relational database concepts and query languages in order to design required summary or aggregation tables to support analyses. Collaborates with technology/infrastructure staff to identify data relationships and functional requirements; analyzes and resolves issues related to information flow and content. Maintains database support tools, database tables and dictionaries and recovery and back-up procedures.
You will support our journey by providing:
• IT management - Takes responsibility for the design, procurement, installation, upgrading, operation, control, maintenance (including storage and communication of data, voice, text, audio and images) and effective use of IT infrastructure components and monitors their performance. Provides technical management of an IT operation, ensuring that agreed service levels are met and all relevant procedures are adhered to. Schedules and supervises all maintenance and installation work. Ensures that operational problems are identified and resolved. Provides appropriate status and other reports to specialists, users and managers. Ensures that operational procedures and working practices are fit for purpose and current.
• IT strategy and planning - Ensures that all stakeholders adhere to IT strategic management approach and timetables. Collates information and creates reports and insights to support IT strategic management processes. Develops and communicates plans to drive forward the strategy. Contributes to the development of policies, standards and guidelines for IT strategy development and planning.
• Financial management for IT - Advises on financial planning and budgeting. Develops financial plans and forecasts. Monitors and manages IT expenditure, ensuring that all IT financial targets are met, and examining any areas where budgets and expenditure exceed their agreed tolerances. Assists with the definition and operation of effective financial control and decision making, especially in the areas of service, projects and component cost models and the allocation and apportionment of all incurred IT costs. Analyzes actual expenditure, explains variances, and advises on options in use of available budget.
• Resourcing - Conducts job analyses, prepares job descriptions and person specifications; prepares selection and evaluation criteria for candidates. Manages recruitment campaigns. Locates and selects possible agencies and other suppliers, negotiating terms and conditions, and placing orders with them, ensuring that all obligations are met in accordance with the agreed terms and timescales. Reviews candidate details, manages selection processes, and ensures that account is taken of relevant statutory or external regulations, standards and codes of good practice. Ensures that all relevant parties are informed of the results of interviews and other decisions and assists in the negotiation of terms and conditions of service.
• Professional development - Determines the required outcomes for learning or development, from organizational development needs and the training strategy. Mentors assigned practitioners, ensuring alignment with predetermined statements of required development outcomes. Assists each practitioner with the creation of development plans based on the outcome statements. Ensures that each practitioner records evidence of progress. Validates practitioners' records at the end of each cycle of planned development, to ensure that achievements and enhanced capabilities are recorded and referenced to the outcome statements. Contribute to practitioners' performance appraisals.
• Database management - From an understanding of current and future business, derives an overall strategy of data management, within an established information architecture (including both structured and unstructured data), that supports the development and secure operation of existing and new information and digital services. Takes overall responsibility for planning effective data storage, security, sharing and publishing within the organization. Plans, establishes and manages processes to access and independently validate external information from multiple sources, on a regular and consistent basis.
• Methods and Tools - Sets direction and leads in the introduction and use of techniques, methodologies and tools to match overall business requirements (both current and future), ensuring consistency across all user groups.
You will bring the following skills to our team:
• Requires a bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
• Prefer eight or more years in related field.
• Successful track record of exceptional outputs and leadership.
• Expert knowledge of data management practices and processes.
• Expert knowledge of database administration processes.
• Expert knowledge of database design frameworks.
• Expert knowledge of relational database technology and ability to accurately communicate database technology to others.
• Expert knowledge of database backup and recovery strategy.
• Expert knowledge of database performance management and tuning.
• Knowledge of both Oracle and MS SQL database technology.
• Knowledge of hosted (Cloud) database services a plus.
Join us today and power your potential!
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the deadline: https://PGN.igreentree.com/CSS_External/CSSPage_Referred.ASP?Req=R-19-1620 . If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 503-464-7250.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Talent Acquisition Contact:
Connect with us on Twitter (twitter.com/PortlandGeneral),
Facebook (facebook.com/portlandgeneralelectric) and
THIS IS AN INTERNAL / EXTERNAL JOB POSTING