Post Date: 05/30/2019
Close Date: 06/13/2019
POSITION TITLE: FOOD SERVICES ASSISTANT
DEPARTMENT: HEAD START
OPEN DATE: MAY 29, 2019
REPORTS TO: FOOD SERVICES SUPERVISOR
CLOSE DATE: JUNE 13, 2019
WORK LOCATION: WILSONVILLE, OR
HIRING RANGE:* $13.00-14.30 HOURLY
FLSA STATUS: NON-EXEMPT
POSITION STATUS: REGULAR PART-TIME (RPT)
FULL-TIME EQUIVALENT: 0.38
WORK HOURS PER WEEK: 15
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
MONTHS ACTIVE: YEAR-ROUND
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: 0
Under Oregon statute, after July 1, 1996, an offer of employment for this position is contingent upon the results of criminal offender information record check, and possibly fingerprinting, conducted on applicants for employment in early childhood services agencies. Applicants who have been convicted of certain offenses or who refuse to consent to such background checks will not be hired for this position. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position. Continuation of all positions is contingent upon future funding.
Special Note on Central Background Registry Requirement:
In order to be offered any position within our Head Start program, you must be currently enrolled in Oregon’s Central Background Registry. If you are not currently enrolled, you may still be considered for this position, but no offer of employment may be extended to you until this requirement has been completed. For information on how to enroll in Oregon’s Central Background Registry, please visit www.childcareinoregon.org or call the Office of Child Care at 1.800.556.6616.
*Note on Hiring Range:
For applicants with extensive qualifications and/or years of experience, the new hire maximum rate may be exceeded with the approval of the Director of Human Resources and the Executive Director. If approval is granted, it will be based upon careful review of the applicant’s qualifications, experience, internal equity and budgetary considerations. The final rate approved will typically never be at a rate equal to or above the established market rate for the position.
In support of the Agency’s mission, and under the direction of the Food Services Supervisor, this position assists in the preparation, serving, and cleanup aspects of providing a nutritious, cost effective food service program to Head Start and Early Head Start classrooms, other Community Action programs, and in accordance with all Head Start policies, standards and practices.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Ensure that standardized recipes are followed and appropriate quantities of food are prepared and served in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations including Head Start specific regulations, CACFP meal requirements, Washington County Sanitation, and Child Care Division licensing rules.
• Perform daily activities according to schedule established by Food Services Supervisor to ensure that meal service for children and staff happens in a timely fashion and supports cost effective food service operations.
• Ensure that meal preparation and service areas are maintained in a safe and sanitary manner and according to the established cleaning schedule.
• Ensure that food and supplies are stored properly in accordance with Community Action policies and procedures.
• May assist and support the Food Services Supervisor with implementation and maintenance of a system for the selection, purchase, and inventory for all necessary supplies, foods, and equipment for program and/or center specific operations.
• Monitor the acceptance of menu items by children in the program and make adjustments to the menu accordingly; communicate adjustments to coordinator for review.
• Operate food service equipment according to manufacturer’s instructions and OSHA regulations; monitor kitchen equipment to ensure in good working order; report any problems to Food Services Supervisor immediately.
• Work collaboratively with teachers and other center staff to ensure that food service delivery to classrooms is accomplished in timely and effective manner.
• Assist Food Services Supervisor with the inventory and the ordering of food and supplies.
• Oversee central kitchen operations in the absence of Food Services Supervisor.
• Strictly adhere to all safety policies and procedures at all times and respond/correct any at-risk safety issues immediately.
• Strictly adhere to agency code of ethics and standards of workplace behavior.
• Perform any other duties as assigned by management.
Marginal Functions and Responsibilities:
• Other marginal functions and responsibilities as assigned.
• Six months experience working in a food service operation (such as a school or hospital) with specific experience using standard food service equipment in a safe and sanitary manner.
• Minimum of a High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Knowledge of food preparation and food handling techniques.
• Ability to read, write, and communicate effectively in English.
• Must be able to successfully pass applicable background and Oregon Central Background Registry checks prior to new hire processing and beginning actual employment.
• Completion of appropriate Fit for Duty and TB Testing according to Head Start regulations prior to date of hire.
• Bilingual in Spanish and English is highly desirable.
• Combination of education and/or experience equivalent to an AA degree in dietetic technology.
• Performed a minimum of 16 hours volunteer work in a Head Start classroom, OR three (3) months experience at a community based child care center, or home child care center, OR completed one (1) term of child development classes.
• Familiar with, or experience working with Childcare and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) Requirements.
Required Licensing or Other Special Certifications:
• Requires Oregon Food Handler card within one week after hire date.
Required Physical Demands of Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Under Oregon statute, after July 1, 1996, an offer of employment for this position is contingent upon the results of a criminal offender information record check and, possibly, fingerprinting, conducted on applicants for employment in early childhood services agencies. Applicants who have been convicted of certain offenses or who refuse to consent to such background checks will not be hired for this position.
• Kitchen (cold storage, hot stoves/ovens, sharp knives, etc.) and/or classroom environment.
• Operates stove, microwave, and other kitchen utensils used in the preparation of meals (including sharp knives, trays, storage racks, etc.)
• In normal work day, may stand/walk 4-6 hrs. per day and may require walking or standing to a significant degree with a degree of pushing and pulling of arm and/or leg controls.; may sit 2 – 3 hrs/day; may drive 1 hrs./wk; may use hands for repetitive grasping, pushing and pulling, fine manipulation 3-4 hrs. per day; may use hands at or above shoulder for 1/2 hrs per day;
• In normal work day may bend, or squat, frequently; climb occasionally;
• Work is medium in nature, lifting 50 lbs. Max. with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
How to Apply for this Position:
To be considered we must receive a completed Community Action Employment Application form. You are welcome to also include a cover letter and resume at your option. Transcripts may be required for certain positions. Applications can be completed on our website: www.caowash.org or you can print off the application to complete or pick up the application form at either of our following locations:
Hillsboro – 1001 SW Baseline St, Hillsboro OR 97123
Beaverton – 5050 SW Griffith Dr, Suite 101, Beaverton OR 97005
Be sure to submit your application in a timely manner. If you choose not to complete an online application, you can send your completed application form, optional resume and cover letter and any other required documents via fax at 503.357.6057. If you prefer to mail your application be sure to mail attention Human Resources at the Hillsboro office address above.
All application submissions will be acknowledged with a receipt notification. If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you.
All current Community Action employees are encouraged to apply for openings at Community Action which they are interested in. For current employees, some qualifications may be met by an equivalent combination or education and experience at the discretion of the employer.
Benefits: All regular full-time (RFT) status positions of 0.50 full-time equivalent or higher are eligible for our outstanding benefits package including:
• Generous paid sick and vacation time
• 12 0bserved holidays
• Medical, vision and dental insurance
• Free life and long term disability insurance
• Medex travel assistance
• Employer-matched 403(b) retirement plan
• Employee Assistance Program
• Rich and diverse mission-based working environment
COMMUNITY ACTION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Community Action is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or other protected status in accordance with applicable federal and state equal employment opportunity laws. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Complete details: https://caowash.applicantpro.com/jobs/1095323.html