Post Date: 10/07/2019
Close Date: 11/10/2019
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East
Position: Vice President of Construction
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Supervises: Director of Construction, Project Managers
Status: Full-time/Exempt, level 22
Compensation: $66,911 - $92,003 Salary is commensurate with experience and includes full benefits package; medical, dental, vision, and alternative care coverage; vacation and sick leave; holidays; flexible spending accounts; retirement plan
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East revitalizes neighborhoods, builds affordable and sustainable homes, and empowers families through successful homeownership. Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is an independent affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a global home building movement and top private homebuilder in the country. By providing affordable housing, home repairs, skilled construction training, financial education, and volunteer opportunities, the organization has transformed millions of lives, helped stabilize communities and fostered economic vitality in the region. Habitat welcomes people from all walks of life to partner in serving families in need and creating a better community for everyone who lives here.
Pre-construction activities including acquisition, project and budgeting planning – 30%
• In cooperation with Habitat staff and Board members, participate in planning and budgeting for the organization, including long range planning with Habitat’s Homeownership department.
• Manages land acquisition activities, including initial screening; coordinates with Director of Construction to prepare feasibility studies as needed.
• In coordination with project stakeholders, position is responsible for collaborative delivery of projects from pre -construction through occupancy.
• Evaluate acquisition opportunities, including contracting with consultants and engineers.
Policy development/enforcement and budget management – 30%
• Initiate the development of a quality assurance program for all work performed on Habitat projects; ensure that the QA program integrates into the routine of the Construction Team; in cooperation with Director of Construction ensures QA program compliance.
• Review and authorize disbursements/draw requests. Update the projected annual budget as necessary.
• Assist in the preparation and processing of all necessary funding applications and other project documentation.
• Prepare and submit project related information for reports to funding sources as requested.
• Represent the organization before public agencies, community groups and funding organizations.
• Develops, coordinates, and implements action plans to achieve business targets as articulated in Strategic and Annual Plans
New construction planning and activities – 20%
• In cooperation with the Director of Construction, develop detailed schedules for each project.
• Maintain a process for adherence and accountability to timelines developed by the homeownership team.
• Review scheduling issues and identify resources necessary to maintain the production schedules for projects.
• Review Requests for Proposals and bids received from material suppliers and subcontractors with the Director of Construction and/or Project Manager.
• Execute subcontractor agreements up to $25K and recommend agreements over $25K to the President / CEO for execution.
Leadership and team development responsibilities – 10%
• Serve on Leadership Team, ensuring seamless coordination of Construction activities with other departments
• Oversee all construction activities and directly supervise senior Construction department staff.
• Responsible for, and actively manage, financial performance of Construction Department
• Provide the leadership and team building necessary to maintain a workforce that continuously embraces the mission, vision, and values of Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East
• In coordination with senior Construction staff, develop and maintain high-performance teams through supervision, training, coaching, and mentoring; ensure regular feedback is shared with staff including timely completion of employee performance appraisals.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal Habitat departments
• Develop and maintain positive working relationships with external development partners and funders and prepare requests for gifts in-kind to Habitat.
• Maintain a departmental culture of safety.
Rehab and Repair Program – 10%
• Expand and manage Rehab/Recycle program
Required Skills and Experience:
• Minimum 8 years’ experience in construction/real estate development, real estate finance, or planning. At least 3 years’ experience in construction project management
• 2+ years’ experience leading teams in Collaborative Project Delivery preferred
• Experience with construction management software preferred
• Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Real Estate, Architecture, Engineering, Urban Planning or Business Administration, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Experience in developing housing within deadline and budget from start to finish.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills; effective with diverse audiences
• Proficient in Microsoft Office programs
• Excel at multi-tasking with various projects and deadlines; attention to detail a must
• Commitment to affordable housing development and the mission of Habitat
• Understanding of sustainable building techniques preferred
Employment is contingent on passing a background check.
Application packets must include:
• A complete resume, including dates of employment
• A cover letter identifying how you heard of this opportunity and addressing how your personal and professional experiences have prepared you for this position
• Three references: at least two professional
To apply, submit the above information to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘VP of Construction’ in the subject line. Application packets will be evaluated as received, early submission encouraged.
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only, and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all employees can thrive.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
Complete details: https://habitatportlandmetro.org/about-us/careers/