Post Date: 07/09/2018
Close Date: 12/31/2018
Director of Counseling Services
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09447
Location: Sylvania Campus or Rock Creek Campus
Address: 12000 SW 49th Ave & 17705 NW Springville Rd, PTD
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Management; Level N; Full-time; Exempt
Starting Salary Range: Minimum $89,427 to range mid-point of $109,548. Placement generally will not exceed the mid-point, based on qualifications, experience and internal equity. (Full Range is $89,427 to $129,667)
Job Close Date: For best consideration apply by July 31, 2018
Portland Community College is seeking a district wide Director of Counseling Services. As a brand new position at our college, we are seeking a leader who brings a strong foundation in both clinical and administrative aspects of college counseling services. Under the direction of the Dean of Student Success, the Director will have overall responsibility and accountability for managing the delivery of high impact personal, career, and academic counseling services within four Counseling Centers located at each PCC campus. The successful applicant will be prepared to establish a shared vision among Counseling faculty, staff and key stakeholders during a period of reorganization for Counseling Services.
PCC serves nearly 75,000 full-time and part-time students across a large and diverse service area. We are committed to a culture which values human diversity and social justice. Mental health support, including crisis response, is viewed as integral to the college's services. A demonstrated commitment to culturally responsive and inclusive services designed to improve equitable educational outcomes for community college students is required for this position. In this role, you will utilize your knowledge of clinical supervision and ethical/practical/legal guidelines for counseling practitioners. Responsibilities include establishing, evaluating and modifying Counseling Services' goals and objectives, as well as operational procedures and standards. We are seeking a collaborative and creative leader that values skill-building, relationships, team development, and strategic planning in support of a high impact service area for community college students.
To apply, please fill out a PCC application, submit a resume, and respond to the following prompts. We encourage you to provide enough detail to provide evidence of your qualifications, but ask that you keep within a 4-page total limit - single-spaced. No cover letter is required.
- Describe your experience supervising/managing a college or university counseling center. Include your specific experience developing and/or implementing policies and procedures for a comprehensive counseling services program.
- Describe your understanding of, and commitment to, the community college student population and needs based on the college mission.
- Provide evidence of your cultural competency and successful experience providing and guiding responsive services for individuals and communities with marginalized identities.
- Describe your leadership skills in advocacy, relationship-building, strategic visioning, resource development, and team-building.
- Describe your experience with, and leadership in, crisis intervention and delivery of trauma-informed services.
Here is our Intended Recruitment Timeline
- July 5, 2018: Job Announcement Published
- July 31, 2018: Application Deadline for Best Consideration
- Week of August 20, 2018: Semi-finalist Interviews
- Week of September 10, 2018: Finalist On-Campus Interviews
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Long-term Disability, Long-term Care, and Auto and Home Insurance programs.
PCC currently fully funds the Oregon Public Employers Retirement System (PERS) pension and contributes an additional 6% into the employee's Individual Account Program under PERS. PCC also provides a 2% contribution to a 403(b) account for eligible management personnel. PCC offers a tax deferred annuity program and a deferred compensation program where employees may save additional pre-tax dollars for retirement.
14.67 hours of Vacation leave per month
1 day of Sick Leave per month
3 additional Personal Leave days per year
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age, as well as tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
Typical Job Duties and Responsibilities
1. Oversees Counseling Services in accordance with current legal requirements, ethical codes of practitioner licensure, PCC policies and principles, and accreditation standards for college mental health counseling. Initiates/advises the creation of college policies and procedures related to counseling services.
2. Establishes, monitors, evaluates, and modifies the goals and objectives of Counseling Services, as well as operational processes, procedures and standards college wide. Solicits and analyzes input from faculty, staff, clients, and others to improve services.
3. Supervises full and part-time faculty counselors, classified staff, and graduate interns. Hires, trains, mentors, and evaluates all employees and interns in division. Disciplines and recommends dismissal of staff as necessary.
4. Provides clinical supervision, mentorship, training, and supports professional needs for licensed/unlicensed counselors, support staff, and graduate interns. Consults with and guides all counseling practitioners regarding clinical concerns and ethical dilemmas.
5. Leads strategic efforts and oversees initiatives to improve counseling services related to multiculturalism, diversity, equity, and inclusion. Applies theory and principles of social justice to counseling services in alignment with college priority of improving equitable student opportunity and success.
6. Provides clinical consultation to the Behavioral Intervention Teams (BIT) and during urgent/emergent student mental health situations.
7. Serves as a liaison to both internal and external stakeholders and partners with respect to counseling services at the college. Serves as a resource to the college by planning and participating in faculty and staff development programs /presentations / workshops regarding student mental health topics and best practices for student support.
8. Oversees the maintenance and security of confidential records (documentation, correspondence and legal information) pertaining to students receiving counseling services. Collects and maintains program records and information. Analyzes, prepares, and disseminates a variety of reports for internal/external requirements.
9. Participates in developing and administering budget; includes allocation of resources, approval of expenditures, monitoring of expenditures, and advocating for funding.
10. Participates and contributes as member of Student Affairs leadership/management team.
To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements (Experience requirements use full-time equivalent - Volunteer positions are is not counted as professional experience):
- Doctorate in Counselor Education, Clinical or Counseling Psychology, Educational Psychology, Social Work or comparable discipline with an ACA or APA accredited internship.
- Oregon License (Counselor, Psychologist) or documented ability to obtain license within 6 months of employment.
- Five years post licensure and three years clinical supervision experience.
- Experience practicing within a college counseling center (practicum and internship experience may count)
Note to Applicants
- For new employees, Official Transcripts are required to be submitted within 2 weeks of offer date for all degrees stated in the minimum qualifications.
These qualifications and characteristics are critical to success in this important role at PCC.
- Experience supervising/managing a college or university counseling center, including demonstrated experience developing and/or implementing policies and procedures for a comprehensive counseling services program.
- A thorough understanding of, and commitment to, the community college student population and needs based on the college mission.
- Strong cultural competency and successful experience providing and guiding responsive services for individuals and communities with marginalized identities.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in advocacy, relationship-building, strategic visioning, resource development, and team-building.
- Experience with, and leadership in, crisis intervention and delivery of trauma-informed services.
Important Knowledge and Skills
- Managerial principles;
- Student services administration principles and practices at post-secondary institutions;
- Records maintenance principles and practices;
- Budgeting principles and practices;
- Project management principles;
- Principles and practices in assigned area of responsibility;
- Higher education principles and practices.
Demonstrated Skill in:
- Supervising and providing leadership to subordinate staff;
- Developing, recommending, implementing, and monitoring policies, procedures, and work flow;
- Preparing a variety of reports related to departmental activities, including statistical analysis;
- Developing and managing a budget;
- Evaluating assigned programmatic area for compliance with applicable regulations;
- Speaking in public;
- Coordinating the preparation and publication of a variety of reports;
- Conducting research to identify solutions, resolve problems, or provide information;
- Working with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff;
- Utilizing computer technology for communication, data gathering and reporting activities;
- Communicating effectively through oral and written mediums.
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position, please submit:
1. Completed online application
2. Current Resume (attach document)*
3. Responses to the Prompts from the Committee (See Job Summary for details)
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Applicants selected for further consideration may be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
Notes to Applicant:
- Upon hire candidate will be required to provide official transcripts for all degrees earned.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1253696
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Complete details: http://apptrkr.com/1253696