Post Date: 12/18/2019
Close Date: 02/28/2020
Oregon Episcopal School occupies a wooded 59 acre campus where 870 students in Pre-K through 12th Grade share an excellent faculty, an inquiry based curriculum, and a strong sense of community. OES welcomes those who wish to engage in a vibrant, culturally diverse learning community.
OES seeks an enthusiastic, conscientious educator to teach culinary arts in its summer program. The summer culinary arts teacher designs and implements culinary arts camps to PreK through 12th grade students following OES standards and methods for instruction. The culinary arts teacher promotes and models curiosity and the exploration of ideas and concepts while fostering an appreciation for lifelong learning. In addition to the qualifications detailed below, the successful culinary arts teacher possesses excellent communication and interpersonal skills, strong organizational skills, and the ability to support the OES mission and identity. This position reports directly to the summer Extension assistant director
SCHEDULE: 9:00 am-4:00 pm teaching time plus prep time, M-F, June 22 - August 21, teaching at least 4 out of the 8 weeks
● Develop intellectually challenging and creative culinary arts theme-based camps with developmentally appropriate and research-based practices.
● Collaborate with Extension staff and fellow culinary arts teachers to design cohesive programming within summer framework.
● Implement a strong, inquiry-based and differentiated curriculum which teaches culinary skills and nutrition education.
● Develop a safe, nurturing, and exciting environment conducive to classes of 10-15 students.
● Promote the responsible, safe, and healthy use of kitchen tools and ingredients.
● Use a variety of best curricular and instructional approaches and methods including experiential learning, cycle of inquiry, and conceptual and manipulative-based math and science approaches, reading, writing, etc.
● Individualize instruction and educate the whole child.
● Develop a familiarity with a framework for understanding students’ individual strengths, affinities, and challenges.
● Work collaboratively with colleagues in a spirit of openness and cooperation.
● Demonstrate kindness, enthusiasm, and a passion for teaching.
● BA/BS or equivalent in relevant discipline
● 2-5 years of culinary arts teaching experience
● Intercultural competence, ability to teach diverse groups of students effectively; ability to work well with a wide array of students, coworkers, and family members, including those from underrepresented communities
● Basic digital literacy; some proficiency in MS Office, Google Drive and other web based applications as appropriate to job duties
● Ability to pass a background check and drug screen
● MA/MS or equivalent in relevant discipline
● Teaching License
● Prior work experience in a school setting, public or independent school
● Previous team teaching experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
● Ability to collaborate and work effectively on teams
● Interpersonal skills, ability to maintain positive relations with colleagues, students, family members
● Communication skills to interact with students, families, and colleagues
● Primarily classroom environment, ability to stand or sit to deliver curriculum
● Ability to sit at computer and keyboard for moderate periods
● Ability to lift up to 20 pound on an occasional basis
● Ability to communicate clearly with colleagues, parents, and the public
● Mobility sufficient to move about the campus and to assure the safety of young children
COMPENSATION: $40 to $50 per teaching hour based on education and experience, $25 per hour for limited prep time
APPLICATION PROCESS: Complete the OES online application, link below, and attach a cover letter and resume. Open till filled.
Follow the link below to set up a login and password that will allow you to save and return to your application:
Oregon Episcopal School does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), disability, national or ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or other legally protected characteristic or status.
Complete details: https://www.oes.edu/careers