Post Date: 08/13/2019
Close Date: 08/26/2019
Deadline to apply: August 26, 2019 @ 5:00 PM, PDT
Salary: $60,590.40 - $81,244.80 annually
This full-time position will be expected to work schedule consisting of weekdays during daytime hours, with occasional evening or weekend shifts required to staff events.
Metro is seeking a systems thinker who thrives in an environment with multiple stakeholders and numerous tasks and deadlines. This person is able to understand diverse perspectives and incorporate them into communications approaches and prioritizing tasks. This person can build relationships with fellow staff, understand their needs and help them implement projects. Additionally, this person engenders public trust and provides great service to the public.
As a member of Metro's transportation and land use communications team, the Communications Associate will help build awareness and engage community on policy and planning projects in a way that is inclusive of the diverse voices and perspectives of the region. This includes creating accessible written and visual content for the website, including reporting on topics for Metro News; and creating printed materials. It also includes direct communications with people, staffing outreach meetings and representing Metro at community festivals and public events. This person will also maintain relationships with technical, policy and communications project managers to help identify, track, and prioritize activities within a larger strategy, and meet communications needs within the Planning and Development department. .
As part of the Communications department, this person will have the opportunity to contribute to a variety of projects. The Communications team is guided by a public service culture of providing strategic communication through multiple channels, with an eye towards innovation, and a focus on communities of color and other historically marginalized groups. This person will learn from colleagues who specialize in content strategy, marketing, public awareness campaigns, public involvement, planning and policy development.
An important goal for this position and the agency is to engage and collaborate with communities of color and other historically marginalized communities through a variety of communications strategies, supporting Metro's Strategic Plan to Advance Racial Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and broadening the voices heard in decisions affecting the greater Portland region.
At the Metro, we hire a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all of our employees can thrive.
• At least two years of experience at a public affairs/involvement, advertising, public relations, planning or public policy agency; AND
• A bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, journalism, public relations, planning, public policy or a related field; OR
• Any combination of education and experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the job.
This position requires the ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
• The ability to communicate in an additional language, in particular Spanish, Russian, Chinese (Mandarin) or Vietnamese
• Demonstrated ability to use Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office tools
To apply: Visit www.oregonmetro.gov/jobs for the complete job announcement and a link to our online hiring center.
1) Electronic application, 2) two work samples (see supplemental question #1 for details), 3) answers to supplemental questions, 4) a resume, and 5) a cover letter describing your qualifications as they relate to the duties of this position.
Metro is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Complete details: www.oregonmetro.gov/jobs