Post Date: 11/19/2019
Close Date: 12/31/2019
University Mission: Concordia University is a Christian university preparing leaders for the transformation of society.
Position Title: Applications Administrator
Department: ITS - Operations
Reports To: System Engineer
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Position Number: IS0031
Primary Work Location: Portland Main Campus, Onsite.
Work Schedule: M-F 8am-5pm
Employee Classification: 05 – Staff, Full Time, Non-exempt
EEO Classification: 11-1142
This position is responsible for monitoring, maintaining, assessing, recommending and documenting server, service and application solutions to support Concordia University’s objectives. This position requires a high technical aptitude with a base amount of relevant experience and a willingness to actively seek out knowledge and improve their skill set under the mentorship of Senior Engineering Staff.
Concordia University is a private, Christian university. Concordia University reserves the right to give preference in employment based on religion in order to further the Lutheran objectives of the University and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Administer, monitor and maintain solutions for applications and system solutions including servers, databases, web, data storage solutions and user access with an emphasis on application administration.
2. Work with technical staff, vendors, and clients on designated projects and deployments.
3. Maintain performance, security and best practice standards; monitor and alert on established benchmark, monitoring, trending standards and any unusual behavior or activities to engineering staff.
4. Build and configure solutions to documented standards; coordinate and implement scheduled upgrades, maintenance, project and backup/recovery events.
5. Document solutions, dependencies, issues and changes; recommend changes to policies, procedures, maintenance plans, schedules and performance issues to the engineering staff.
6. Provide technical support, solution/system expertise and recommendations on possible solutions or changes to the technical team.
7. Participate in on-call datacenter support rotation and disaster recovery operations.
Primary Work Contacts: ITS Computer Operations Team
Scope of Work:
Span of control includes technical aspects of assigned duties. Executes prescribed procedures and works under guidance of the engineering staff or designated personnel to complete essential responsibilities. Limited supervision received.
Working Conditions: Office
Minimum Physical Requirements:
- Able to tolerate prolonged sitting and keyboarding using both desktop and laptop systems
- Able to lift, pull, grasp, and reach within an office environment
- Able to effectively participate in two-way communications, in person, in writing and on the phone
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis.
- Able to perform intermediate to moderately complex logic and reasoning activities throughout course of work.
- Able to climb and descend stairs and ladders in a safe and controlled manner.
- Able to write, read, and review instructions and technical documentation.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- 3+ years performing IT related activities in a Microsoft Server and Active Directory (AD) environment.
- 3+ years current experience in Information Security or IT risk management.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent industry experience.
Required Experience with the following Technologies:
• Microsoft Office 365
• Current Microsoft Server Technologies including Exchange and SQL.
• Microsoft Active Directory user and computer object management.
• Linux Operating system management and maintenance.
• VMWare vSphere.
Industry Related certifications preferred:
• Miscrosoft MCSE
• VMWare VCP*
Experience managing and administering Sharepoint Online and Microsoft Office 365 Suite preferred.
Minimum Knowledge, Skill and Ability Requirements:
- Highly self-motivated with a desire to be challenged professionally.
- Ability to pick up new technologies quickly and efficiently.
- Ability and commitment to work as an integral part of the Information and Technology Services Unit and as a member of a professional work team.
- Able to read and accurately interpret documents written in Standard English text.
- Able to communicate effectively with warmth, sensitivity, and understanding as when dealing with administrative colleagues, teachers, students, parents, faculty, college personnel and program associates.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to effectively define, organize, coordinate and monitor multiple projects and tasks in order to meet deadlines.
Post offer, Pre-Employment Screening Requirements:
- Successfully pass a criminal background check
Attitude and demeanor of all Concordia University employees: As part of a work environment that highly values Christian education, educational excellence and service to students, all members of the community will:
- Publicly support the mission of Concordia University.
- Communicate effectively with warmth, sensitivity, and understanding as s/he deals with administrative colleagues, teachers, students, parents, faculty, college personnel and program associates.
- Work as a team member in a professional environment.
- Possess a “service attitude” (willingness to be flexible to meet the needs of the department).
- Have a professional physical appearance (appropriate clothing, personal hygiene, etc.).