Post Date: 09/25/2019
Close Date: 10/14/2019
Salary: $66,809.60 - $89,564.80 annually
One full-time position is available. This position will be filled at the Associate Researcher and Modeler level. Appointments are typically made at or near the beginning of the salary range.
Seeking an independent self-starter, critical thinker, data explorer and solutions-oriented data scientist or travel demand modeler with a passion for service excellence and continual learning. Are you someone who takes pride in your ability to look at a problem and engineer a solution, and you're looking to bring your skill set to a large organization that offers something "different" or new? Or perhaps you want the opportunity to apply an innovative, equity-focused approach to projects that impact our communities in a meaningful way while getting the chance to blaze your path in the career you've always desired? Prepare to learn and be challenged! If you think you're the person we've been looking for, we want to know more about you.
The Modeling and Forecasting Services Division lives within the Research Center Department at Metro. We are a nationally recognized group that is well known for our travel demand modeling expertise and innovative approaches to problem solving. We build and maintain custom modeling and forecasting tools that provide information to help our communities and residents make data-driven decisions. Here are some links to our department and samples of our work in our division:
The Research Center - https://www.oregonmetro.gov/tools-partners/data-resource-center
Modeling Services Division - https://www.oregonmetro.gov/modeling-services
This position will help launch a new enterprise data initiative – the Transportation Data Program (TDP) – that will live within the Research Center. The desired outcome of the TDP is to ensure that the transportation data necessary for all Metro's business processes is available when needed in a clean, consistent, and accessible manner. The TDP will help support mandated and high-importance Metro business functions and decision-making including transportation planning and programming under federal and Oregon law, growth planning under Oregon law, solid waste and recycling management under the Metro code, and managing visitor venues to which public access via a safe and reliable transportation system is essential.
At Metro, we hire a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all of our employees can thrive.
• Bachelor's degree in a quantitative science or related field
• Demonstrated experience in quantitative planning or data modeling with extensive computer programming/software development and/or statistics experience
• One year of travel demand modeling, computer programming/software development, or data science experience
• Or any combination of education and experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the job.
• Travel demand modeling, computer programming, software development, data science, machine learning, and/or statistics
• Experience working with clients to help define, understand and serve their data needs
• Experience developing and evaluating data and informational tools with and equity perspective
• Experience and/or ability with applying an innovative approach to problem solving within a data-driven environment.
To apply: visit www.oregonmetro.gov/jobs for the complete job announcement and a link to our online hiring center.
1) Electronic application, 2) answer to supplemental questions and 3) resume.
Metro is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer